Author Topic: Forks on C5, drainable without removing?  (Read 4243 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
on: October 30, 2010, 10:44:46 pm
I noticed that the bottom of the C5 forks have an indented hex screw in place.  Will removing it allow the fork oil to drain out so new fork oil can be put in at the top of each fork?

Or am I missing something here?

The G5 models have a large nut hanging outside the bottom of the fork tube.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:19:08 am by prof_stack »
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:35:53 am
According to the Service Manual, by removing that Allen Screw from the bottom of the fork tube the fork oil can be drained in C5.

SSR and GHG had reported difficulties changing fork oil in C500 and C5 (see link below).  SSR had difficulty opening the screw because the drain plug was turning without opening.  He and GHG had to remove the bottom fork to change fork oil - by first removing speedo cable, front wheel, mudguard and brake caliper.

It is not clear whether SSR and GHG removed the bottom fork because the allen screw was not opening or it was removed to fill fresh new oil.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,8496.15.html

I have G5 and fork oil can be drained from bottom and filled from top.  But C5 forks are different - so don't know if fork oil can be added from top in C5.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:39:11 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 06:35:02 am
  You have to disassemble the forks prof, to change the oil.To loosen that Allen bolt, you have to push up, to compress the fork a bit,the spring tension will cause resistance so it wont spin.And you should be able to crack it loose .If I remember correctly, that bolt secures the piston. The oil Will drain when you remove it. And no, unfortunately, you can't just remove the top caps and fill. It's a big,time consuming job. Have your service Manual handy, and set aside enough time. Choose your fork oil wisely, you wouldn't want do do it twice.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 04:45:08 pm
Hi y'all,  would using an impact driver loosen or remove the screw? And if the fork oil drains satisfactorily would it be possible to inject an oil of your choice and quantity back into the fork the same way with a suitable adapter and syringe?

If you think its a goer I might have a bash at that.

Cheers, Shappers.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 02:15:48 am
 I would not use an impact wrench, unless I had to. I would be a little concerned about damaging the threads in the piston. You would still probably have to compress the leg, otherwise you would just be spinning the piston faster inside the leg. Once you remove the Allen bolt, there's no need to inject the oil, the lower slider should just pull off. Then unscrew the leg from the upper tree.
 If a fill hole could be drilled and tapped(so it could be plugged when done), in the top fork leg cap, the one under the slotted finish nacelle plug. Then maybe a drilled, tapped plugged hole at the bottom section of the slider, that would make things real easy!

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:27:43 am
Hi greg,GHG, sorry for hijacking the thread.  Pardon me me for persisting, but I'm lazy.  Is it possible to remove the top plug without anything untoward happening to check the possibility of modifying for an oil filler. Then with the forks compressed a little and the lower bolt removed, fork oil replacement mat be possible with further dismantling?

Cheers, Shappers.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 01:21:19 pm
Theoretically you should be able to drain the oil by undoing the bottom screw. But the problem is        the screw was rotating without getting loose and once it was jammed hard and I was not sure to the  direction of the thread so left it untouched. The screw on the bottom is screwed to the piston and if you press the main tube hard enough then may be you could undo the screw.

If you do manage to take it out then yes you can fill the oil from there with some contraption.

@Shappers- By top plug you mean the chrome cap on the top or the bolt plug in the main tube?

If you want to modify the top cap in the main tube then you will have to take the forks out and then undo the top plug to make some arrangements for filling oil from top, just like the way it is in other bullets.

Once you have the top cap out of the main tube then you could get a threaded screw fitted inside the top cap and its feasible.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:41:49 pm
Hi SSR, It is the plug under the chrome cap. I was wondering if its possible to remove it without taking anything apart.

Cheers, Shappers.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 06:05:17 pm
Hi SSR, It is the plug under the chrome cap. I was wondering if its possible to remove it without taking anything apart.

Cheers, Shappers.
No shappers, you have to unscrew the fork leg,remove the leg, to access the top fork cap, you can see it under the chrome finish cap. I would try to crack it loose before removing the leg, it makes life easier.then with the leg out, the cap should come off easy, without the use of a strap wrench as a hold back.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 06:39:06 pm
Just as above, you can not remove it without taking off the forks and its advisable to loosen up the cap. You will only be able to loosen up a tad bit as there is not much space for it to travel upwards without unscrewing the main tube.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 12:14:18 am
Damn, I really didn't want to have to remove a bunch of stuff to replace fork oil.  Did the G5 owners got the better setup? 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.