Author Topic: ITS COLDDDDD!!!  (Read 3864 times)

TRider

• Bulleteer
on: January 15, 2008, 09:14:46 pm
Yeah, the Electra is a COLD bike.  This is my first winter with the Electra and after setting up for a couple of days, I like to at least fire it up and run some laps in the yard if nothing else.  I have 3 acres of back yard so I can give it a good spin.  But its cold, real cold, the Electra is cold starting.  I always keep a Battery Tender attached when I know its going to set for a few days.  The bike always cranks, but it takes a while to stay cranked.  And then zoom, I'm off.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 11:12:22 pm
Yep it's chilly-willy. Mine is in the workshop as I perform my maintenance and wait on one more part for my Electra X makeover.

Actually, I'm glad it's laid up. That way I don't need to make excuses for not riding in the cold (which I undoubtedly would be doing!)

Mine is running much richer than stock so it warms up without much fuss.

Matt

sasquatch

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:08:41 pm
I've been able to get only 40 miles on my new electra so far this year (bought it in december) and I live in Michigan - so it's not the cold that keeps you off the road... it't the ice.  Ive been really happy with the bike starting in 20 degree weather.  A little adjustment of the idle screw, and using the kick starter instead of the electric start, and then some patience for warm up time and re-adjustment of the idle have been paying off.  Nothing like a beautiful ride to work with the snow on the trees... ;D
- sasquatch -
"Never pound with a large wrench, when a smaller one will do."

LJRead

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 08:39:51 pm
Yeah, it's at least 80 degrees out with the rain - no wind, so no wind chill factor.  Had to use a sheet to keep warm last night.  But even in these trying conditions the bike starts with one kick. :D

Hey Sasquatch, the way I heard your motto was: "If it won't fit, use a bigger hammer".
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:42:14 pm by LJRead »

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 01:15:17 am
I've been able to get only 40 miles on my new electra so far this year (bought it in december) and I live in Michigan - so it's not the cold that keeps you off the road... it't the ice.  Ive been really happy with the bike starting in 20 degree weather.  A little adjustment of the idle screw, and using the kick starter instead of the electric start, and then some patience for warm up time and re-adjustment of the idle have been paying off.  Nothing like a beautiful ride to work with the snow on the trees... ;D

Welcome Oh Big Footed One!

Well, I took the opportunity presented by the unusual warm front that passed through and rode in to work today! It was 50 degs when I woke up (normal morning temps are around 27) but it had dropped a bit before I went off to work. It was low 40s on the ride home. Guess since all my gear is out and it's going to be dry, I'll ride in tomorrow as well. It'll be in the upper 20's in the morning; but at least I get to wear casual clothes since it Friday!

Matt

sasquatch

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:10:49 am
I'm looking forward to getting past the break in period so can add a sidecar.  The thought that keeps me going is this should be my last winter not riding at least a couple times a week... I'm only 5 miles from work on mostly country roads so I figure with the added stability of the third wheel, and a bag of sand for balast, I can suit up and smile all winter next year.

What's the coldest weather everyone's had the privalige/unfortunate circumstances to ride in?  Three years ago when I bought my Honda '83 CX650 (Why I keep buying bikes in December I don't know) I rode it home about 25 miles in 16 degrees with light snow.  It looked like it was going to be a beautiful day... earlier that morning.

I wonder... do they sell RE snow chains?  :-\
- sasquatch -
"Never pound with a large wrench, when a smaller one will do."

exiledcarper

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:26:40 am
Yeah, it's at least 80 degrees out with the rain - no wind, so no wind chill factor.  Had to use a sheet to keep warm last night.  But even in these trying conditions the bike starts with one kick. :D

Hey Sasquatch, the way I heard your motto was: "If it won't fit, use a bigger hammer".
Larry, you really are such a tease, SHAME!  Actually rather nice here lately, 80 degrees on Fat Tuesady, moderated now to some nice sunny days, with a daytime high around 70f.  Not too shabby!
  Have you finally been able to scoot around the island on your R.E.?

LJRead

Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 07:46:10 am

I know Vernon, I have to be careful about what I say. I've even gotten used to the humidity here and feel like it's my second skin. 

I've had the bike just a week now and still working hard on it.  Pleasant enough work though.  Today I got the rear lights, except brake light, to work, and found a broken wire at the end of the day leading forward, so I'll be curious about what that one goes to.  Tracing down problems is logical enough, but it seems to take a lot of time.  I think I'll be going over to some LED turn signals and tail light as I want to run it without a battery.  There is a flasher unit advertised that claims to work with the lower resistance of the LEDs, so I may try that. 

Vince wrote something about the virtues of having a new bike, as opposed to one that has been run in, and I can see it now.  Best way to go if one can afford it.