Author Topic: Clutch adjustment on C500  (Read 13571 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 05:26:28 pm
Yes Bradey, now finish off the adjustment at the lever. Loosen the lock nut, and turn the adjuster in or out. Out to tighten the cable, in to loosen.

@GHG -

Does C500 have two places to adjust clutch cable - one at the clutch lever and the other on top of the left crankcase cover ?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:32:31 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 06:07:38 pm
There is a threaded boss on the housing on the Clutch/Crankcase side cover.  The cable end is threaded, there is a nut on each side of the boss to hod it secure, it offers about 3/8 inch of adjustment.
Any other Enfields in New England?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 06:29:49 pm
There is a threaded boss on the housing on the Clutch/Crankcase side cover.  The cable end is threaded, there is a nut on each side of the boss to hod it secure, it offers about 3/8 inch of adjustment.
quinn:

You have a C5 - are there two places to adjust clutch cable on your bike ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 06:51:30 pm
Yes,
A threaded end on the Handlebar control and the threaded end on the clutch cover. 

-Q

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 07:05:38 pm
There is a threaded boss on the housing on the Clutch/Crankcase side cover.  The cable end is threaded, there is a nut on each side of the boss to hod it secure, it offers about 3/8 inch of adjustment.
Singh, you have a picture of it posted. Same set up on our C-5's.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 07:24:12 am
Sorry but I think my C5 has only one adjustment module, that is on the left crank case cover, I have no threaded adjuster on my lever  :-[ ???

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 08:52:28 am
 There  is only one spot on the C-5 to adjust. On the left side cover.  I should learn to look before I speak ::) I assumed that there was one at the handle bar control, like every other bike, but there is not. Sorry, too many different bikes in and out of the garage.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:37:19 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 01:08:28 pm
Wow, you guys are right!  There is only one adjustment point.  I had to go out to the shop to check it myself.     :o

Sorry to share bad information..... :-X

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 06:13:29 am
But the buring question still remains unanswered. Is there any way the clutch engagement position can be changed. Mine now engages at a very high (very close to full release of the clutch lever) position. I would like the clutch to engage when the clutch lever is half released...................Cheers !!

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 03:30:16 pm
Will will give a barely qualified answer and say No.  You cannot make that adjustment without leaving a lot of slack in the cable.  The travel distance is within the clutch assembly.

I understand your sentiment, I felt the same way when I first shifted the C5. The grab point was so much different than my Harley's that I thought I would adjust it and make the same change you are looking for.  I could not do so. It is just an entirely different animal.

In a short time I just got used to it, the clutch is so easy to pull it really does not matter.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 06:29:34 am
+1.

And thanks for the reminder.  My clutch was well out of adjustment when I checked it.  Guess I'm still used to my old hydraulic that doesn't need adjustment.

Scott

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 10:00:41 am
The gear shifting mechanism on my bike seems to be pretty much out of shape, as clutch cable adjustment has not made any difference in the gear shifting. The gear lever seems to get stuck especially when downshifting suddenly, as well as upshifting in some gears.

The problem of gear slippage (gears retruning to a neutral position) on hitting a pot hole or low bump still remains.

The service engineer says, this may call for splitting the engine apart and may still not resolve the issue. Is this guy trying to save himself the trouble by giving such excuses.......................???

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 05:33:10 pm
The problem of gear slippage (gears retruning to a neutral position) on hitting a pot hole or low bump still remains.  The service engineer says, this may call for splitting the engine apart and may still not resolve the issue. Is this guy trying to save himself the trouble by giving such excuses.......................???

Is your bike still under warranty ? If it is, let him open the engine.  May be there is a defective component that needs to be replaced.  When he opens it, ask the dealer that you want to learn and see the parts too.  Take a few pictures.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 05:13:10 am
+1.  If it's under warranty they need to fix it or replace it.  If he can't do it or doesn't think he can find the next closest dealer.  Also, some of the worst transmission problems are often the result of very simple adjustments.  Take it in.

Scott

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 08:45:24 am
@Bradey- I have found out the probelm or cause of your problem and I will post the picture of the said part whe I get home.But the sad news is that you will have to get the engine opened up.