Author Topic: Clutch adjustment on C500  (Read 13573 times)

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
on: October 24, 2010, 01:52:58 pm
Hi guys, I have noticed slight "hesitation" in my gear shift mechanism as compared to reassuring slotting of gears on a new motorcycle I took test ride of, yesterday.

The gears seems to get "entangled/stuck" especially under emergency braking on my bike. As well, during upshift at times.

Is my clutch out of tune or is it something else. How does one adjust the clutch on the C500 ?

Is there anything else to be adjusted apart from the clutch cable. How tight should the cable be adjusted ?? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:20:15 am by BRADEY »

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 02:22:53 pm
I think you'll find during the "emergency braking" your not letting the shifter lever return all the way to the top before you push it down again resulting in a half a shift into a dead zone or a false neutral. 
Moving the shift lever down a notch might help. Might be a bit harder to get your foot under it for the upshift but it will improve your downshift.

The clutch adjustment is on top of of the primary cover (left side of the bike). You want to adjust it so there's a bit of slop in the lever on the handlebar.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 02:30:57 pm
Your owners manual has proper detail on clutch adjustment...
Any other Enfields in New England?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 04:21:01 pm
I have similar experience on my G5 when I have to stop in a hurry without time to shift down through the gears, and others have reported the same. Getting back down to neutral can't be hurried in this situation - slow, positive shifts with pauses between is then the way. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your clutch.
Gear shifting on these bikes is a kind of subtle double nudge, quite positive and can be shifted rapidly - until that emergency stop, when it lets you know it likes everything done in the right order and just so... ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:42:33 pm
I think you will find gear shifting will improve with mileage/time.
I have been practicing rapid (sort of) gear changing, (up and down), on my G5. Its surprising how rapid you can change with plenty of practice. Its when you come to an emergency slowdown or stop, panick sets in, then it all goes up in the air -when your main concern is stopping in time.
Safe riding.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:35:38 pm
Agree with the above comments.  My two Buells, Blast and XB9S, both did the same thing when hot.  They also provided a loud CLACK! when the gears became "unstuck" and then went down to neutral. 

A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 05:35:53 pm
the answer in PRINT , please read http://www.realclassic.co.uk/bullet_gearbox_fix.html

note: watsonion squires (uk importer) state that the handbook is INCORRECT
arthritis hurts at my age!

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 06:28:17 pm
Interesting Read.  I wonder how and if any of it applies to the UCE C5.
Much has been written here (including by me) regarding careful and deliberate shifting...
Any other Enfields in New England?

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 07:16:05 pm
Interesting Read.  I wonder how and if any of it applies to the UCE C5.
Much has been written here (including by me) regarding careful and deliberate shifting...

None of it other than the part where you have to be positive with your shifting. All the way down and let it come all the way up before your next downshift.
It's the bikes way of training the rider on how it expects to be shifted and it won't be forgiving if any other methods are used.

That article was referring to older bikes had a pushrod that went from the actuator on the right side all the way over to the left side and lifted the pressure plate off the clutch pack. On the UCE the actuator is on the inside of the primary cover (left side) and presses on a bearing that is on the pressure plate. No adjustment other than taking up the cable slack.
CJ

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 08:18:57 pm
yes my apologies , sorry i don,r pay with the newer bikes , and that article was for a "shinny one"  ;D ;D
arthritis hurts at my age!

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 11:21:41 am
Thanks all.
How does one know if the cable is a little too slack on the C5.
And how much should it be tightened.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 12:42:14 pm
Just leave a couple of mm slack at the (handlebar) lever.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 05:01:31 pm
Thanks all.
How does one know if the cable is a little too slack on the C5.
And how much should it be tightened.

BRADEY:

Sat Sree Akaal.   First - Lube your clutch cable.  Then do adjustment.

1.  I have heard, and that is what I do - adjust the clutch cable when engine is hot after you have taken a short ride on the bike.
2.  Turn the lock and adjuster nuts (picture no.I), to get a play of 3 mm at the handle bar lever (picture no.II).
3.  Tighten the nuts.
4.  Test ride.

There are a few factors that might affect the adjustment.  Since this is wet clutch, the consistency of oil will affect the adjustment, e.g., My clutch works best at 5 mm clutch play - thouth the book recommends 2-3 mm.  Secondly, change your oil frequently, cleaner oil means smoother the clutch and gear functions.  Thirdly, the clutch may need adjustment from time to time due to normal wear and tear or gunk collecting in parts or even temperature changes that affect the fludity of oil.

If the clutch is too loose - The gears will grind when shifted.  You will hear the grinding noise when shifting.  Or gears feel stuck, not easily shifted.

If clutch is too tight - the gears may slip or shift without pulling in clutch lever.

One important tip -  A very small turn of clutch adjusting/lock nuts (1/8 of turn) can affect the clutch function that is noticeable.  After you have adjusted it, gone for a test ride and if you are not satisfied, REadjust and do a micro adjustment by turning BOTH nuts together in the direction you want.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:16:14 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 10:39:55 am
Hi, I have done what I have been told by you guys. Took the slack out from the clutch cable, and took it for a short ride. Found that the shifting has eased a bit than earlier. Will have to ride a little longer to see whether or not this improvement is for real or just "mental"..........................!!!

Noticed that my clutch now engages very high up on the lever (like it used to be when the bike was new). Almost by the time it is fully released.  

It feels very strange, as I am used to my clutch getting engaged at half released position on my older bike. Is there any way I can correct this on my UCE 500
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:49:14 am by BRADEY »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 01:55:55 pm
 Yes Bradey, now finish off the adjustment at the lever. Loosen the lock nut, and turn the adjuster in or out. Out to tighten the cable, in to loosen.  It sounds like you might have it in too far? Play with the adjustment at the top, till you get it were you like it. A little at a time, you should be able to feel when the clutch engages and disengages as you pull the lever in and out.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.