Author Topic: Clutch adjustment on C500  (Read 13569 times)

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 12:41:36 pm
Hi SSR,

Is it the CAM Plate assembly in the tranny you are talking about ?? Please do post pictures as early as possible.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 06:37:56 pm
As I had the engine split open today so took the opportunity to study the shifter mechanism. The gearbox on our C5 is quite simple and robust. But in your case you have a problem and I think of only few things to blame which can be resolved for sure.

The pawl cam plate gets locked by a pawl which holds the gear in its position and if the pawl is not holding the pawl cam plate in its position then you will have gear slipping from its slot and getting into false neutral or jump up/down a gear.

So the problem can be due to the damaged pawl and its spring or a damaged pawl cam plate. Thats all to it.  Ask you RE engineer to order few parts  as below

If you have problem only of gear getting out of its position then

Cam plate assembly
Pawl
Pawl spring

If problem with hard gear shifting or not engaging then
Cam plate assembly
3x Selector forks

Best bet would be to get all the listed parts and if needed then use the selector forks.

In second picture, part no 16 is spring and 17 is Pawl.

Third picture
Part no 14.15.16 are selector forks
Part no 17 cam plate

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 09:27:28 am
Thanks for the feedback.

The dilemma is whether it is advisable to split a new engine, especially at the "ill equipped" dealerships here in India....................??

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: December 12, 2010, 08:16:12 am
Just to update the Forum Members, my C5 has magically resorted back to the extra smooth gear shifting all by itself (all I did was ran it really hard one day, more like a drag race bike)  ;D

Now I am very happy. You can well understand why I was in dilema whether to "let everything fall in its place" or "go about adjusting everything on the transmission side".

Royal Enfield Bikes are known to go out of sync for no reason and return back to their sweet ways all by themselves. So says my experience with my 7 year old CI engine 350. Lesson learnt don't fix it if it ain't broke......Cheers

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 12, 2010, 10:10:36 pm
Just to update the Forum Members, my C5 has magically resorted back to the extra smooth gear shifting all by itself (all I did was ran it really hard one day, more like a drag race bike)  ;D

Now I am very happy. You can well understand why I was in dilema whether to "let everything fall in its place" or "go about adjusting everything on the transmission side".

Royal Enfield Bikes are known to go out of sync for no reason and return back to their sweet ways all by themselves. So says my experience with my 7 year old CI engine 350. Lesson learnt don't fix it if it ain't broke......Cheers

@Bradey:

So glad to hear that your bike is fixed.  You see the bike has a biofeed back self fixing mechanism that the factory people don't want anyone to know about  ;D  ;D  ;D.  From now on we can call it Royal EnFixTM .

Frankly there have been some situations on my bike that I thought were worse, only to find that they were not.  

Keep on thumping, while we are grounded due to early and bad windy winter  :(.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:12:51 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5