Author Topic: new bike,new member  (Read 7396 times)

donatelos

• Scooter
on: October 22, 2010, 08:11:11 pm
Hello all,well after quite awhile of admiring the classic efi and going back and forth to the dealer for further looks Iv'e finnaly ordered a nice shiny black and white one and while I have never owned a bike quite like this 'tho travelled near and far on the pillion of my old Da's  brit bikes  I have'nt been seduced by the rose tinted memories of old classic's ,I remember too much oil on the garden path and too many hours passing spanners to Pop,but this bike seems best of both world's(I hope)have been and allways will be a great Guzzi fan  but as they say "you gotta try before you die" well I say it anyway,but seriously this is the first time in many a year I'm actually excited at the arrival of a new bike even at the ripe old age of 60 I still  cant wait to swing my leg over it and ride the 260ml home on  the back roads. Hope I wont be to much of a nuiscance  with endless queries and will let you know when it arrives and how I get on with it,cheers all .Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:28:04 pm
Welcome! You are right to be excited and you will love the bike. Stop a few times on the way to let the engine cool if your first ride is 260m but it will be a great introduction. The EFI is a superb engine, full of character and should prove very reliable. Keep us informed!

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:47:18 pm
Yeah, Cheers on the new ride! and Welcome! :)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:06:58 pm
Welcome aboard Don, and congrats on getting yourself a great bike. I bought myself a beautiful black & chrome G5 for my 60th birthday earlier this year, and "excited" doesn't come close to how I felt about it! First bike for forty years, and six thousand plus happy miles later I've not had a moment's regret. Best thing I ever did bar none.
You're going to love it. This place aint bad either...  Keep us posted.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:10:41 pm
     Welcome! I now have to rain on your parade. If you follow my threads on this forum, you know I stress break in procedures. I strongly recommend you truck the bike home. then take several small rides until at least the first service. I have never had a customer do what you are planning, and then get full satisfaction and use out of any bike. The last one that did that with his EFI gets 10 -15 miles per gallon less than every other customer I have. It really did not break in to my standards.
     These are great bikes, and you will have a blast. I just suggest taking it slower. Like fine wines and fine women, some things should not be rushed.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:16:42 pm
@Don:

Welcome to the forum.  These new bikes are exactly as you put it - best of both worlds.  They are vastly improved from the older models.  They don't leak - no more puddles or drops of oil on the floor !

Just go through the posts on this forum, you will find plenty of information and tips for maintenance.  If you take care of it, it will give you lots of joy.  Also, riding RE will subtract 20 years of your age -  60 is new 40  ;D.  
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:20:46 pm
Thank's all for welcome,I live in Wales and have to drive the bike back from England via some interesting roads,hate them motorways,my pals son who passed his test last year and bought a bargain of a sportsman with only 4ml on the clock yep thats right 4ml and all for only £1000 the guy bought it then very sadly died a night or so later and his son kept it for years ,well it was this bike that got me interesred  after following him around the "D" roads of france and I mean following 'cus the thing was very nimble on them roads and HP didn't count a whit ,well I thought these are the roads I like  the fuel economy is great and light and simple with character is the way to go so the next two weeks are really going to drag by till  delivery.Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 09:40:27 pm
    Welcome! I now have to rain on your parade. If you follow my threads on this forum, you know I stress break in procedures. I strongly recommend you truck the bike home. then take several small rides until at least the first service. I have never had a customer do what you are planning, and then get full satisfaction and use out of any bike. The last one that did that with his EFI gets 10 -15 miles per gallon less than every other customer I have. It really did not break in to my standards.
     These are great bikes, and you will have a blast. I just suggest taking it slower. Like fine wines and fine women, some things should not be rushed.
much appreciate advice and the spirit it was given but due to work  I have a one day window to recieve new bike once it arrives at dealer and as I am part ex'ing my Breva  they want to see  my bikes condition before actual hand over ,this dealer topped my local Enfield dealer by £500 on part ex so decided to do the mileage ,if I stop for a break every 50-60ml  for 10-15 mins  think that be more gentle for the bike on the run back? Don

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 09:54:41 pm
Don't let Vince rain on your parade. As an ex-customer of his I know his drill and after talking to other EFI owners, some bikes just inherently for what ever reason get different mileages. 35-40 in 3rd, 45-50 in 4th, US miles, vary your speed and get a feel for the range on the throttle so you know when 1/2 open is and take it easy, you'll be fine.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 10:07:09 pm
.... so decided to do the mileage ,if I stop for a break every 50-60ml  for 10-15 mins  think that be more gentle for the bike on the run back? Don

If it is a brand new bike, you will need first oil change immediately after riding back home from your dealer covering 260 miles.  The manual suggests first oil change at 300 miles - and you will be right up there with your first trip.  Even if the dealer puts new oil just before you start your trip, you should still change it when you reach home.  The first few oil changes are important and better done sooner than later.

Buy oil and oil filter replacement from the dealer with the bike.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:22:42 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 10:09:01 pm
Congratulations.

Don't you just LOVE that new bike smell?   ;D
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 10:55:29 pm
Congratulations Don! You'll love your new bike.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 11:01:48 pm
 Welcome, and Good luck with the new Bike !  You'll love it, It's a given. ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 11:04:01 pm
Br. Don, I welcome you to the forum and also offer my congradulations!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 11:21:25 pm
+1 to the other posts.  I sold a Moto Guzzi Nevada (brother to your Breva) before buying the new Enfield (C5 Classic).  I don't miss the Guzzi, but it was fun.

The running-in procedure is important but not as much as as it used to be for the iron barrel RE.  You would be wise to stop and let your body and the motor rest and cool a few times on your 260-mile jaunt home.  Have a couple liters of semi-synthetic oil ready for the oil change as well as an oil filter.  It's an easy procedure, especially now that the oil filter cap is spring loaded!

Do inspect all the fasteners at home and be ready to tighten a few!  The blue thread locking stuff is really useful.

Congrat's on the new ride!  You'll be amazed how the motor loosens up and gets smoother over the miles.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.