Author Topic: 1973 Enfield Mini Bullet  (Read 11633 times)

brett7777

• Scooter
on: October 21, 2010, 10:38:51 pm
1973 Enfield Mini Bullet in race trim

brett7777

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:43:47 pm
I did this as a sort of custom, as I dont really like the original seats & rear fenders. I decided on the retro racer theme when I found out that these were a favourite with local racing enthusiasts. To the purists: yes I know it's technically not a 'Royal Enfield' (Constellation sticker on pedestrian slicer) but I took some liberties ok!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 11:16:17 pm
I think you did a nice job with it.

It looks like a fun bike.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:51:56 pm
What motor is that? How well does that 2 stroke run with a  megaphone exhaust?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:48:35 pm
That little bike is sweet as Pete, man! It reminds me of the stuff I used to make when I was younger ...... I'll BET that thing is more fun to ride than a red-head with half a bottle of wine in her ....  ;) Heeheehee!! Great job - I'd call it an Enfield on enthusiasm alone!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

brett7777

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 08:50:22 pm
What motor is that? How well does that 2 stroke run with a  megaphone exhaust?

It's Enfield India's 1970's version of the Villiers 197cc motor (it runs a Villiers 197cc piston & has Villiers air cleaner & Villiers type 25 carb). It was developed out of Enfield's previous use of Villiers motors.
I think it runs a bit better with the cocktail shaker muffler. It has a baffle in the end of the header pipe, & 2 baffles towards the end of the muffler. So Im guessin somehow the whole expansion thing seems to happen in the tapered part of the muffler. The old Villiers 2 strokes on the 50's British bikes just used to have a basic peashooter exhaust !
The old enfield muffler is now sittin in my shed.

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 11:57:33 am
can you give some more info on the bike plz , what carberation , and what type of ign settup is it?, is the ign bought in , or was it enfields own design?

any picci of this area?
arthritis hurts at my age!

brett7777

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 12:11:39 pm
can you give some more info on the bike plz , what carberation , and what type of ign settup is it?, is the ign bought in , or was it enfields own design?

any picci of this area?

Carb is Villiers S25 type. Some of the ignition parts are generic British Lucas parts,(eg. Lucas switches) & some are Enfield India (eg. Minda ammeter) Overall, the bikes were a mix of Enfield's India's own design, Bullet 350 parts, generic parts used on other British lightweights, & Villiers parts.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:20:17 pm by brett7777 »

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 12:22:12 pm
a member of a UK forum has just shown a picture of that bike or a simular one , with regards to an ignition? problem , is this rge same bike , if so what is/was the problem?

if it wasn,t you , do you have any close up picci,s of the points/ign settup?

cheers

alan

brett7777

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 12:24:20 pm
yeah that's me! workin on it today & tommorow to get it going again. It's night time here in NZ, around midnight, can take pic of points tommorow, is that the pic you'd like?

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 12:32:49 pm
as a lover of old brit two strokes , and owning 3 bsa bantams with a mix of wipac/lucas stuff , if you have any probs / questions either ask me (pm) or go to real classics (uk) http://www.realclassic.co.uk/messages.html as a lot of people have villiers type bikes

alan

PS bond minicars (villiers engines) were built 300 yds from where i,m sat now!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bond_Cars

brett7777

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 12:36:22 pm
thanks Alan, yeah they are great motors / bikes. will pm you once I have my next question or to let you know the result tommorow.

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 12:47:16 pm
if  the ign is villiers based?

have a look at rex caunt , http://www.rexcauntracing.com/pages/ig_bsa.html or better still  rcr villiers http://www.users.waitrose.com/~goodingm/RCR%20main%20page.htm , both great engineers

alan

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 05:37:46 pm
That little bike is sweet as Pete, man! It reminds me of the stuff I used to make when I was younger ...... I'll BET that thing is more fun to ride than a red-head with half a bottle of wine in her ....  ;) Heeheehee!! Great job - I'd call it an Enfield on enthusiasm alone!

;D

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 12:59:52 am
That is a cool bike.I didn't recognize the motor,and I had a Dot dirt bike as a teenager here in the U.S.. It had the Villiers 197cc motor.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350