Author Topic: my new bike  (Read 5747 times)

koncho75

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 02:46:40 am
Hi greggers,

Your situation sounds exaclty like mine except i have been fortunate not to frop mine as yet. New to riding and was a big gab between getting my license and my first bike (new G5 deluxe recently which im in love with).

I live in a capital city and to get home from the dealer had to take a 6 lane freeway and then deal with peak hour city traffic, to say i was a little nervous was an understatement. Thankfully i have only had a few embrassing stalls so far amongst city traffic (have to keep reminding myself to ride that clutch). Breaking in the engine is proving a little more difficult (as i have to take a city freeway) but loving it so far.

Best of luck with the repairs!

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 03:38:46 am
Hello, Greggers.

I also put my C5 down on the right side early in the season in a low-speed incident.  Miraculously, the only real damage was the footpeg, bent badly, the brake pedal, the bar end, the front brake lever and the mirror, which were rashed.  The tank and muffler came away unscathed, thank the motor gods.  Alignment checked out okay.

The bent footpeg is an easy fix, but it's a two-man operation, or one-man and some tie-downs.  Take a long piece of pipe, place it over the peg, and bend the sumbitch right back into place.  The second person or the tie-downs are required to keep the bike from coming off the centre stand during this brute force operation.

A brake pedal adjustment, a bit of 600 grit paper to polish up the lever and pedal, a new cap for the bar-end and new, longer, mirrors and the evidence of my crime was eradicated, except for a very small scrape on the edge of the front fender, which will remain to remind myself to pay attention.  Total damage bill came in around thirty bucks.  Gotta love it.  (Damage to the Suziki Katana which went down on its right side in the same incident at the same speed came in at $1,300)

2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 06:35:24 am
We all drop them from time to time, don't feel too bad.  I think your bars are bent since you got a tank ding.  It's a good idea to have the bike checked over by the dealer.

Scott

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 02:08:43 pm
Rotten luck but don't let it put you off. It's all part of a learning curve I'm afraid!

Make sure the forks aren't twisted. Easy to tell as it won't steer straight if they are.

Also, don't leave any of the scuffing, (tank, mudguard), unattended. Put a dab of rust proofer on the scuffs cos if water gets under it'll spread to paintwork elsewhere.