Author Topic: 1957 Crusader 250...Impulse Buying....  (Read 13012 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 06:43:29 pm
Here I am reviving this thread.  

Just because I like to overcommit to things I am now on a quest to get this bike up to daily driver status so I can have Matt buy me a beer in Jville.

Guess the first thing  I need to do is list things that need fixing.

Let me get my thoughts in order.
Known issues.

Need to buy New:
Headlamp and mounting bracket-on order ebay
Ignition switch- On order ebay
Rectifier,voltage reg, battery- Got this thing
Coil- bosch blue sounds good
wire to rebuild harness
levers- Brake and Clutch
hi/lo beam switch w horn and kill
Speedo (have one off my 95 but want a smiths 80 mph repo)
speedo cable
seat recover
throttle- may be able to reuse existing
grips
tires
tubes
rim liners
Lamps
Fuel filter
Pod air filter (might still have one from before the Ace air can)
Brake and throttle cable
Side stand and spring-  probably gonna rig something non stock
Footpegs-had in spares box
Kick start lever
wheel bearings- can I repack or should I just replace w new
chain-  is it salvagable?
Footpeg, shifter rubber
Tail lamp lense- might be able to reuse one I have?
Oil filter-  hmmmmm
Shift lever-

Order of work:
Replace tires
clean up bars and put new grips etc so I can move the bike around
send seat away to get redone
fix footpeg and kick starter
chang oil- use kicker a bunch and change a few times oil down barrel
Oil chain
rebuild carb and electrics
clean out tank
fuel up
ride it to work
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 03:15:49 pm by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 11:42:09 pm
Got my tires in the mail this week.  Had to dig out the chassis and start looking at this thing.

The tires look like they will fit just fine.

Good news,  I have a kick lever in my spares box,  bad news, it does not fit the kick shaft on the 57 motor. That one seems smaller.  My spare crusader motor has a shaft that fits the lever so I may have to try and frog the two around.

I have a kick stand that fits my spare frame but not the 57' frame. 

I have 2 footpegs with no rubbers.

Ehhh,  much work to do...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 01:31:55 am
Alright,Gary...it's ON...got my toolboxes for the Chief,next week I'm ordering parts from Hitchcocks...built some 40" tall workbenches for the shop,so I can work at a comfortable level,instead of on my knees,or bending over...good luck to ya,brother...do keep us posted!
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 04:10:43 pm
Well took the Crusader out of the garage and started to wrench on it.

From looking at it the machine is missing the kick start return assembly.   My spare engine has one and a larger diameter kick spline.  Sadly the bolts on the spare are so corroded out that I can not turn them, they literally fell apart when I tried to back them out.  It will need to get a few drill bit and drill off the heads to open up my spare.

Another thing I found was that the ignition wire from the points was obviously pinched at some time in the past.     One can speculate that the kick return spring failed and in the process of fixing it the PO pinched the wire.  
Points and associated bits appear to be trashed,  hopefully I can use some of my spares for this bike also.

Opened up the primary side.   Everything looks pretty good.  I will probably get a pan of ATF and pull the clutch apart and use it to soak and clean before reassembly.   I appears that the Primary is not on the common sump with the motor.  I will have to do more research on this.  Of course new gaskets are in order here.

The bike has a really nifty dangling dipstick.  

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:15:29 pm by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 04:20:39 pm
In other news..   
The scooter tires I bought appear not to be able to fit under the stock front fender.  I think I can squeeze it in without a fender but its not looking good.   I will have to look for a narrower tire or go sans fender.  Thinking about a mini-cafe look.  I have a spare 500 front and rear fender I can bob and along with a solo seat I might be able to put something together.    Maybe some ace bars...

I will probably just look for a norrower front and try to remain stock.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 01:31:24 pm
Outstanding...it's hard to say "dangling dipstick" without snickering... ;)
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 03:28:27 pm
 ;D ;D
Printed up a "Crusade Engine Rebuild Guide" I found on Hitchcocks.  Gave me enough information that I went out yesterday afternoon and pulled apart the gearbox on the 57.  Everything looked really nice inside and it appears I can just swap out the kickstart sshaft from my 60's motor and reuse my spare kick levers. I have a 4spd lever they sent with the RH conversion kit and a 5spd lever I swapped for a UCE on my 07. 

I am a bit worried that the Rotor on the alt is tits up.  I will have to see if it still puts out voltage once I get the motor running.  A new one will probably cost me $100 or so from Hitchcocks,  stator ohmed out good so maybe I will get lucky.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 01:30:44 am
Thanks for the link on the tire.  That is the same outfit I just bought an entire engine gasket set from.   

Little known fact- they are moving the location of their store and will be delayed in filling orders until probably the 20th or so.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 03:30:29 am
Looks like you got the jump on me,Gary...I'll be ordering some parts from Hitchcock's,on Monday...stay tuned!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 02:32:21 pm
I will do doing well to get this thing running by early April.    Need new engine and trans gaskets, rebuild points ,  rebuild the carb,  rebuild the wiring harness from a point of about an inch out of the stator.     So much to do. 

40" bench sounds nice.   I got my lift and stools to sit on.   Had to get the lift to change the tires on the Sportster.  Seems HD shop charges a few $100 just to change tires where as if I pulled them myself and brought them to an independant it cost me $20.  Lift has already paid for itself.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Hughbruder

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 01:36:50 pm
That is super cool find, will make an interesting daily driver...

I have enjoyed your thread from the beginning, especially where you were not going to touch the bike till well into the year and now your knee deep...

It happens to the best of us, One of my restorations took place when I was stationed in England back in 1980, I found a 1968 Triumph Bonni T120, and  went from thinking I was going to wait till I got back stateside to work on her, but the minute I had the bike in my possession it was game on. You can only imagine the joy of doing a bonnie restoration in the UK with a bunch of cool Brits that I met and assisting in the project.

Cant wait to see the finished product, good luck and keep the posts coming...

:)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 04:31:19 pm
Thanks, I love reading  build threads and I think it helps me noodle stuff out and avoid mistakes when I make them.

In other news,  the motor for my 95 is now in the process of being shipped.   Ace has redone my trashed 99 crank and head as a clubman setup.    I may have to take a break from this build to get my 95 back on the road as a solo.   Might just put the tub on the 07....hmmmm...  I just don't have enough time in the day for all this..

New rubber for the Crusader should be here on Thursday.  Less than $100 for front and rear tires, tubes and rim liners from Dennis Kirk.  Not to shabby.  Not vintage but oh well...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:34:26 pm by The Garbone »
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 02:08:54 am
Good news! Go ahead and do that,Gary...I'm still a LONG way from turning a wrench on the Chief...I still have to order tires,and a LOT of parts,and paint,before I can start turning wrenches...I still have to have EVERYTHING media blasted,have the frame powder-coated,and paint ALL of the tins before I start assembly...not to mention the fact that I'm probably going to have to re-build this 700cc mill...and I'm still waiting on the manual...you're way ahead of me,already,and I'm still working on my three running Bullets! :'(

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 03:16:44 pm
I think I will be going with the Big Cheese patina look myself, it will save time and money that way.

Today I got something done...

Put a new tire on the front.    It has been a over a year since I changed a motorcycle tire myself and yes the process still sucks.  The front brake seems not to be corroded and bound up in that I can actuate it with my hand.  This is a good sign.

I looked at pulling the rear and doing that one but decided against it at the moment.  It holds air so I can move the bike around easily now. I may have to replace the speedo drive when I pull it apart as well as the rear brake.  It does seem to have a cush drive type setup so that may make things easier.

Since I had it out I check on a few more things. 
The head,  it appears to be the stock iron head with a nice patina of rust and a 1/2" section of the lip on one side of the exhaust port missing.  I should have taken a picture.   The Exhaust port on the head seems to be very loose when I try to mate it with the header pipe I got with the bike.  Also the header pipes mounting bracket does not seem to match up with any bolts or holes on the frame.  Probably need a new pipe.   Mehhhhh.... 

So, once I get the trans and kicker straightened out and everything on the bottom back together I will fill her with oil and see if I have flow and valve movement up in the head and rockers.    If everything appears fine I will probably try to get the bike to run with the head that is already there.  If not I do have a spare aluminum head and rockers that  need some valve work done.   

I really need to get some drill bits so I can salvage the kick start shaft and return assemble on the spare motor.   Of course I can't do all that much more than that until I get my gasket kit and parts from over the pond.   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK