Author Topic: Wretched Excess  (Read 1997 times)

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
on: October 18, 2010, 06:31:54 am
Just had to show you guys the new hobby shop my eldest son and I are haveing built.  Worked hard all my life [I'm 70 this month] and saved my money.  My little hobby shop has been outgrown so really need the 60 foot by 150 foot hobby shop pictured.  It is basically for our several hobbys.  It will be nice to get everything in one spot.  One pic shows the building nearly complete without the roll-up door and the other shows the bathroom and office being framed up.  That's my dog named Dummy Dog in the foreground.  The building is a pole building so the tax load is reduced and it is also classed as an ag cold, storage building which is even more lucrative.  We will, of course, park a couple of tractors inside so we don't feel bad taking advantage of that nice government break for farmers.  Farmers deserve all the breaks thay can get because they are 'Caretakers of the Land", or that is what I'm told by the farmer's lobby.   

It seems to some of my friends that the project is absorbing too much capitol.  But in the long run building the shop on open wheat country [that used to be forested] gives the ability to cash-in on a couple of ripe federal programs which got pushed through by the tree hugger lobby.  For instance, if I plant trees to 'reforest' [they will even plant them for me, I don't have to lift a finger!] I get a break.  Been looking for some program that pays a landowner that protects the enviorment of certain animals.  There is a corner of the property that is still forested so maybe I can get some federal or state money for not cutting it.  That would be nice and it would make me feel better because I have no intention of cutting it in the first place.  Plus there is another old program administered by the federal government that shells out loot for taking produceing farm land out of production.  That was suppose to lessen the subsidy payments to farmers for produceing too much.  I guess that makes sence [in the minds of Congressmen] to pay for producing and also pay for not producing.  Also hopeing for the Obama clan to push through that Cap and Trade  energy boondoggle, but things are looking kinda bad for that considering the probable outcome of the November elections.  In a way, its too bad that people are wakeing up.  Then I could sell 'carbon points', generated by the trees, to folks that have created too big of a 'carbon footprint' and have extra cash.  And just maybe I'll feel really good about saveing the planet at the same time.   I sure wish the tree hugger lobby would get on the ball and turn things around on that one, because that would also be a big help in paying for the hobby shop.  Another nice thing is that the wind really blows up on this mountian on the edge of the valley.  There are wind farms on the other rim and I figure if congress, lobbied by the tree huggers, earmarks a few more billion to substadize another building spree this acreage might will be in line for a hunk of that free money.  In the meantime my son and I have arrainged to put up our own small wind generator.  There is a really lurative tax write off, lobbied through congress by the tree hugger lobby, for just installing one.  Also another federal program/law mandates that we be able to sell the excess power back to the power company.  So not only am I going to enjoy a nice shop, but a number of save-the-planet give-a-ways [all of which are obviously unworkable and serve only to give the tree huggers a warm feeling] will start paying back the expenditure.  Always been a staunch fiscal conservative [somewhat to the right of Goldwater], but as the government continues to take more and more in tax money a sane person has no choice but to arrange to get back as much as possible.  On one side of a hill I noticed some soil erosion...I wonder if there is any money available to 'reclamate' that area?  We'll see.

A you guessed, a lot of this post is in fun.  The hobby shop part of it is real. 
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:14:48 pm
Turn down the talk radio, I couldn't hear what you were saying.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:08:58 pm
Oldsalt, I got to tell ya man, you've got the most appropriate online handle here.  You are (respectfully) old, and you are most definitely SALTY!  :D

This tree hugger found your post to be a fun read for sure.  And that is no hobby shop... that is a damn HANGAR.  

*And a very Happy Birthday to ya.  A big one for sure.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:17:35 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:00:55 pm
Yeah,happy birthday.Wretchedly great post.Is it just us old guys or aren't things really screwed up?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 10:43:06 pm
Seems to me you have the game fully sussed   :D
Remember to re-use the bags the money comes in - that planet aint goin to save itself y'know .....  ;)

what the hell is that thing in your avatar..?
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 01:26:27 am

Looks like pipes by the master of masters. Looks like it would take up all the room under the tank though, not sure where you'd squeeze in an engine :o
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 03:50:47 am
Thanks Oldsalt, seems commen sense is not so commen anymore.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 05:45:03 am
Seems to me you have the game fully sussed   :D
Remember to re-use the bags the money comes in - that planet aint goin to save itself y'know .....  ;)

That is a merge collector and steped headers, in stainless steel, for one side of a 500 inch engine my eldest son and I use in a land speed car.  [The engine operates at a taste better than 16 to 1 comp. rato.  In fact the name of the car is 'Wretched Excess'.  So far we are at 251 MPH.  The machine is a A/GCC class car.

As for the money?  The reforest thing is true.  The wind generator thing is true.  Trees will be planted to reforest the property.  But the farmable 50 or so acres will not be taken out of production for a few more years because a guy farms it [for free] and we want to make sure he makes a reasonable amount of money before going green with the property.  I won't live to see it in tall trees and meadow because I'm 70.  But my sons will...God willing.

Here is a picture of the building that didn't come through on the first post.   
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 06:11:54 am
Looks like pipes by the master of masters. Looks like it would take up all the room under the tank though, not sure where you'd squeeze in an engine :o

Your right, about enough room.  The pic shows the location of the engine and the limited amount of room to get the proper length and stepping for each tube.  The car is in the Inspection Tent at the salt.  This car is one of the hobbies that will be housed in the new shop.   
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 03:58:23 pm
Good grief that is one good lookin' BEAST of a car!  Wow! 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM