Author Topic: Front Wheel Disc Brake Pads on G5  (Read 8755 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 17, 2010, 11:40:44 pm
The front wheel brake on my G5 was squeaking.  Had a look at the front brake caliper and brake pads.   First tied a cloth around front mud guard, then hung a coat hanger wire on the frame of left turn signal, took off caliper from the fork and hung it on the hook-shaped free end of hanger wire, so that there was no pull on the brake fluid line.

The whole thing was pretty dirty, black dust everywhere inside, and definitely needed cleaning.  The pad touching the brake pistons is 3" long and 1" wide - curved of course.  After cleaning, lubed the pin bolts as recommended by RE with silicon and put whole thing back together.  

No more squeaking.  Any ideas how long these front brake pads will last ?  

Pictures are worth a hundred thousand words - so here we go.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:11:49 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:10:24 am
 Hard to tell from the pics singh. You need a side view. How thick is the pad? The old rule of thumb is if their thinner then a Nickle, Its time to change them. But I don't usually wait that long. Some times scuffing up the surface of the pad and rotor with sand paper,will get rid of squealing to.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:24:19 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 12:44:59 am
@GHG:

Here is a top view of the caliper that shows the thickness of the pad.

The friction material is slightly thicker than the metal plate to which it is glued.  The metal pad-plate is thicker than the thickness of a nickel.  I think the pad is ok for some more time but need to keep an eye on it.  I wonder if there is any indicator on these pads that tells when to get a new one ?

I want to find a good quality equivalent to these pads if you know any, let me know or post it here and if I find it I will do the same.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:57:41 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:01:15 am
 Yea, they look OK from here singh. Check the book for minimums, if they list any.Some of the old pads had a red line around them as an indicator, I don't think these have any. I think Ducatiscotty found a good after market equivalent, check with him or scooterbob. I seem to remember them talking about it. It Looks like you still have a few miles to go though.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 01:25:24 am
@GHG -  r80rt and ducati had discussed  but their conversation was that r80rt THINKS that RE has same brakes as rear brakes of Bonneville - r80rt had also said he had NOT checked to be SURE.  Then ducati posted a link for the brake pad for Bonneville.  

I checked that link -  the shape is the same but the dimensions are questionable.  e.g., the width is 42 mm in that link.  The width of friction material of RE is only 1 inch = 25.4 mm and even if I include the width of whole of metal plate (tip of hole on the metal pad plate to the far end) it does not come near 42 mm.

That is why I started a new thread so that there is no confusion of RE with Bonneville, since the authors were not sure if RE has the same brake caliper as Bonneville.  For the same reason, I am not putting that link here.  No point in sending someone on a wild goose chase  ;).   

Need to verify how the measurements are reported by the manufacturers.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:40:41 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:43:24 am
Yea, they look OK from here singh. Check the book for minimums, if they list any.Some of the old pads had a red line around them as an indicator, I don't think these have any. I think Ducatiscotty found a good after market equivalent, check with him or scooterbob. I seem to remember them talking about it. It Looks like you still have a few miles to go though.

I got those brake pads nailed - the Bonneville rears were too thin for the job - Check with Tim for the parts number - or wait 'til the new catalog is in your dealers showrooms! I got about 650 rotor-smoking miles out of the OEM pads before they were at the wear indicators - top THAT ..... ! Abuse testing? I haz it!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:04:30 pm by ScooterBob »
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 02:55:36 am
 Singh, what ever your running on there now, looks pretty damn good for 10K Miles. I would stick with what you got. There the original stock ones, right?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:01:39 am by gashousegorilla »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 01:36:45 pm
Your pads look good, plenty left on there.  You can run them pretty thin but when they get to just a few mm you're in danger of one wearing through and then you get metal on metal and destroy the rotor.  My last set of Ducati rears was paper thigns on both pads when I changed 'em  Yikes!  Often the slit in the pad is the wear limit marker.  The material at the bottom of the slit is just a few mm thick.  When the slit is gone it's time to change them out.

Another good thing to do whenever you have the pads out is 'deglaze' them.  Just put a little 220 grit sandpaper on a flat piece of glass and sand the pad.  This breaks the glaze that often occurs over many miles and gives the pads more bite.  Also, you can sand a little angle into the leading and trailing edge of the pads.  This helps limit squeal too since you don't have a sharp edge meeting the rotor.  Finish off by scrubbing the rotor with a green 3M ScotchBrite pad and brake cleaner.

Scott

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 04:23:53 pm
IMHO,  I change them out before they get to the slit.   I believe the slit is to allow water to escape when you brake in the rain.....
Any other Enfields in New England?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 05:29:00 pm
1.  Another good thing to do whenever you have the pads out is 'deglaze' them.  Just put a little 220 grit sandpaper on a flat piece of glass and sand the pad.  This breaks the glaze that often occurs over many miles and gives the pads more bite. 

2.   Also, you can sand a little angle into the leading and trailing edge of the pads.  This helps limit squeal too since you don't have a sharp edge meeting the rotor. 

3.   Finish off by scrubbing the rotor with a green 3M ScotchBrite pad and brake cleaner.

Scott:

I like your above 3 ideas - especially, smoothing out the leading and trailing edges of pads ! 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 04:16:43 am
That and a little silicon grease in all the right spots are my standard procedure whenever I have the caliper off.

Scott

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 01:00:57 am
IMHO,  I change them out before they get to the slit.   I believe the slit is to allow water to escape when you brake in the rain.....
No Sir the slit allong the pad is there to let you know your on the absolute max of wear and nothing to do with water so what you are doing by changing slightly early is good sense .Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 01:58:11 am
I have heard a rumor that the Pricol disc brake pads are the same as on a Harley Sportster between 1981-83.
Somebody might want to check that, and see.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 03:42:37 am
No Sir the slit allong the pad is there to let you know your on the absolute max of wear and nothing to do with water so what you are doing by changing slightly early is good sense .Don

Also, they can sometime be put in to change the resonant frequency and deter squealing.

Disc brakes shed water quickly with the first application just by squeezing against the disc.  Far superior to drums that can fill with water and be useless until all the water leaks out and stops acting like a lubricant.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 06:29:20 am
@ACE:

Here is the Cross Reference for disc brake pads for RE.

These pads have been used in a number of SCOOTERS.  They are -

Kymco    - Agility 50, Agility 125, Like 125, People 250.
Peugeot - Vivacity 125, Geopolis 400, , Geopolis 500
Suzuki    -  AN 250,  AN 400.
Keeway  - Outlook 150

There are only a few motorcycles that have these brake pads -

Keeway  -  Cruiser 250,  Superlight 125.
Honda    -  Rebel old models
RE         -  Electra, Clubman, All EFI models

The brake pads are FA228 by EBC or its equivalent.  This is straight from the horse's mouth - from the manufacturer's catalog (picture below).  Ducati, your guess was right  ;) !
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:16:56 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk