Author Topic: How to break-in bar-end and axle sliders:  (Read 9979 times)

prof_stack

on: January 14, 2008, 05:52:48 am
Talk about self-fulfilling prophesies!   :-\

Yesterday I installed bar-end sliders on my Buell following axle sliders a couple weeks ago.  My accident last June taught that these things are cheap insurance.

But how it happened makes me laugh, seriously!  At the end of a great 65-mile ride in the cool/cold Seattle area sun, I decided to stop at a lookout point and snap a photo of the Buell with the bling-bling bar-end sliders.  Coming to a stop with the handlebar turned right my boot slipped a little on the damp ground and the bike calmly plopped on its right side before I could regain balance.  I didn't even swear, I swear!

Anyway, the sliders worked as advertised, keeping the swingarm new and the frame and frame puck new as well.  Since the muffler is under the motor, there was no exhaust damage.The brake lever bent around but didn't break.  I replaced it later in the day, all of $45. 

But the tip-over did reinforce my desire to get a smaller, lighter motorcycle.  Vince, are you listening?   :D

[old attachment deleted by admin]

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 06:09:24 am
    Pretty close to what I did maybe six months ago on my KLR650. Rode over to get a hair cut,put the sidestand out and started walking. The bike started to go over (stand wasn't opened all the way). I kind of threw myself against the bike and tried to stop it from going over, but it was too far and too heavy, so I just kind of tried to slow it down. Cost me a clutch lever and a tweaked left thumb that still hurts at the palm. >:(
    I took the Bullet out today-had to since we actually had some sun! 82.9 mpg! I'll truck it down to Vinces at 300 miles for the first service.I'm at about 160 miles now.

Take care, Prof!!   ;D

jon in Puyallup
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 06:26:04 pm
Professor I am listening. I want you to know that you are the only person in the history of motorcycling that ever did such a thing. Actually as embarrassing moments that is pretty mild. As a matter of fact I think I'll start a new topic on campfire talk. It sounds like fun. I also knaw where you can get a smaller, lighter bike.