Author Topic: Colder ride, 700+ miles now, some comments  (Read 2050 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
on: October 17, 2010, 05:17:40 am
Man, summer is gone.  I rode the C5 for 93 miles today.  Some (somewhat rambling) thoughts:
  • Even dressed for the temps in the mid 50's, in the sun, I stopped a couple of times to let the sun warm my face and hands.  Good for me and the bike.
  • One time during the ride the tranny kicked the 5th gear to a false neutral.  It came when I short shifted it early into 5th without a deliberate firm foot.
  • A man 3 years younger than me, about to retire from the US Army, stopped next to the parked Enfield while I was sipping coffee and relaxing.  He wanted to know all about the Royal Enfields and plans/wants to buy a new Military version.  We must have talked for 20 minutes.  Kim said that he has been to Vince's and now will likely test ride a C5 at Royal Enfield Seattle (aka Ducati Seattle).  Nice guy, Kim has been to Iraq twice working in the motor pool if I recall correctly.
  • The motor is definitely "looser" than before.  The vibrations are less and the willingness to rev is better.  At times it seems it has actual power!   ;)
  • The tank fill-up showed 66mpg, about the same for the last 3 fill-ups.  That's a little over 80mpg in English imperial gallons.
  • Tomorrow the oil and filter will get changed (at around 750 miles).  I'll be checking as many fasteners as possible.  Last week I found two case bolts that were not tight at all.   :o
  • At 55+ mph the bike is not confidence inspiring.  It's a little twitchy but less so than before I took some psi out of the tires.  I guess I'll drop a couple more to the 18/24 suggested by the manual and others here.  Nonetheless, my former Buell Blast and Yamaha SR500 were more stable at those speeds, comparing thumpers.  Heck, I used to get the Blast up to an indicated 92mph (leaning down over the tank, of course).  It never gave me any indication of instability.  Ditto with the Yamaha, but I was much younger then than now.
  • I noticed that the curvy roads now seem less curvy as I've gotten used to the bike.  I am really loving the handling and overall thumper vibe.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 11:58:23 pm
@Prof:  Looks like you are enjoying the bike and getting to know it.  I was out today on a beautiful Autumn day - some trees have shed yellow leaves on the road, others were half-red, half-green, what a sight !!  

RE will never feel stable like your other bikes did at high speed.  Didn't you see other thread "Is 60 new 80 ?"  Riding RE at 60 mph FEELS like you are going at 80 mph - what a feeling  ;D.  Hey, what is the rush.  At a leisurly RE pace, I get to see things I would never ever see otherwise.  If I need to go fast, I take my car - but then no strager comes and starts a conversation in the parking lot, until you are riding RE.

Keep on thumping !
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:34:10 am
@Prof:  Looks like you are enjoying the bike and getting to know it.  I was out today on a beautiful Autumn day - some trees have shed yellow leaves on the road, others were half-red, half-green, what a sight !!  

Oh yeah, the leaves.  They are another reason to slow down in the corners if you don't see them blowing around the road.  I too had the RE out today, but only for 30 miles so I could come home and change oil/filter at 751 miles.  That was easy.

RE will never feel stable like your other bikes did at high speed.  Didn't you see other thread "Is 60 new 80 ?"  Riding RE at 60 mph FEELS like you are going at 80 mph - what a feeling  ;D.  Hey, what is the rush.  At a leisurly RE pace, I get to see things I would never ever see otherwise.  If I need to go fast, I take my car - but then no stranger comes and starts a conversation in the parking lot, until you are riding RE.

I hear ya!  No hurries here, but once in a while the freeway has to be taken.  Today I came home up a curvy road to the house.  When I got to the top I realized the bike was in 4th gear instead of the usual 3rd.  I was going faster without lugging the motor and it felt very correct.  I think I and the bike are starting to become one.  That's the start of a beautiful friendship!   ;D

x

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:00:09 am
Deleted
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:14:03 am by x »

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:17:01 am
Glad to hear you are having fun with your new bike. I put 512 miles on my new G5 in the last two days. Now that I have properly broken in the engine and it has had two oil changes, I can put some serious miles on it. ;D

Hey, it sounds like you're having MUCH more fun than I am.   :D

You haven't broken in the engine yet.  There are more changes to come in the next 1500 miles, or so I'm told.  But if you're riding sensibly then the G5 will be just fine.  Just keep the chain oiled and adjusted.

Too bad the temps here are going down.  That limits my saddle time.  Maybe you live in the south where winter is just a week or so.  That would be nice....

x

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 11:35:56 am
Deleted
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:13:13 am by x »

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 11:58:17 pm
Prof,
Sounds great.  I took a short ride this afternoon (about 40 miles), but it is really getting cold in Wisconsin.  There has been frost every morning and it was 45 degrees when I went out.  After the sun got below the clouds and trees it was quite chilly.  I know there are sturdier souls than I, but I am thinking it may be time to dump in some Sta-Bil, change the oil and put the beasty up for the season.  I could only keep riding sans windshield if I put on my snowmobile gear, and that is going to look mighty goofy.  Mine seems to get better and better with miles on the clock as well.  I added a deluxe solo seat and a tri-bar headlamp over the last few weeks.  Both are improvements over stock.  I like the wat the new seat rides, but don't like the looks as well as the stock one, the headlight is a dramatic improvement.  Keep the reports coming,
TFM

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:58:09 pm
fat man where are you in wis?  i am in viroqua.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 01:22:38 pm
Arbor Vitae
Way up north, about 45 minutes from the UP and about 60 minutes from the big lake.  Ever get up this way?
TFM

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
  • Credit Card? You got it.
Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 08:36:15 am
I've ridden both, and I feel more secure on my Classic-framed bike (AVL MIL) than on the C5.  The G5 feels the same as the Classic at higher speeds as well, which is more stable.

Maybe if I lost 80 pounds or so I would feel more unstable?

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 09:00:46 pm
i dont usually get that far north on my bike,but i do get to matoon for a rendezvous.once a year. nice country . i have been to hatley to purchase a inder trailor....you should consider the lanesborough RE rally next year.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer