Author Topic: Is this a good thing or more engine problems in the future  (Read 1693 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
The Environmental Protection Agency has approved blending higher concentrations of ethanol into gasoline for newer vehicles, allowing mixtures with up to 15 percent of the corn-based fuel at the pump.
Oh Magoo you done it again

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 02:58:53 pm
The answer to your questioon...I don't know, but lower gas mileage is sure to ensue.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 03:27:03 pm
EPA=BAD THING

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 04:40:52 pm
Ethanol is water miscible so may attract more moisture into the gas tank.  Theoretically speaking more problems.  But if the engine and its components that come in contact with gas (and thus ethanol in it) are designed to resist the adverse effects of ethanol, then it may not be so bad.  But I don't know if engines designed for gasoline are inherently good at handling the ethanol-gas blend.

I use Star Tron fuel additive (Blue color) that claims to cure ethanol problems and stabilizes fuel too.  It definitely improves starting up bike in winter.  I use it in small quantities with every fill throughout the year, and regular gas.  It seems to be worth it.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 04:58:18 pm
It's worse.

It might not cause engine problems, but it could have some adverse affects to some parts, and it will give worse fuel economy, and no benefit to power or reliability.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 11:29:16 pm
It's not good, I work on marine engines and there's a problem amost everyday with the10%.Take some new fuel and put it in a clear container. Let it sit if there is any humidity in the air you'll soon have a puddle of water in the bottom. It's great for business bit I can sure live without it.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 11:59:54 pm
if I pull into a 'gas' station and it says ethanol I leave.. I once used the stuff and it cost me 2 mpg in my truck.. and it was the same price as the real gas down the road.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 12:09:02 am
if I pull into a 'gas' station and it says ethanol I leave.. I once used the stuff and it cost me 2 mpg in my truck.. and it was the same price as the real gas down the road.

All the gas stations in my area and perhaps in the state (NJ) have ethanol in gas. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 12:10:01 am

Here, here...

Who needs their gas corny as Kansas on the forth of July :P
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!