Author Topic: Fork Oil - Different in Right vs Left Fork !  (Read 8074 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 05:54:03 pm
Not just us, this seems to happen on all motos.  Combe the boards for any make/model and you'll see reports of different volumes and apparently different types/weight os oils in the two legs on the same bike from the factory.

Changing out the fork oil with a good, name brand synthetic fork oil is a great thing to do on any bike, even when they're new.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 10:19:08 pm

@GHG- How is your C5 behaving with extra 70ml per fork??
I like it SSR, No issues. It performs well.It bottoms when it should but not too soft.No leaks at the seals, etc. The 20w oil will DEFINATLY give you a much stiffer ride.But that's OK for me, on this bike. As I said earlier, I personally like a tighter feeling/ stiffer bike. I agree with singh that a 15w or 10w will give a much more comfortable ride.Choose wisely my friend, as you know, you don't want to take that front end apart more then you have to :D
  As far as volume goes, I used the service manual recommendations. Thinking back, to when I had it apart, and you can check this SSR. Maybe a hole could be drilled in the top fork plug, inside the hex keyed area, to make checking and changing fork oil more easily done? Perhaps the Nacelle plug, with the O ring would be sufficient to seal the fork like on singh's bike? Or better still a hole drilled and tapped?
  Singh, I think that maybe the difference in the condition of the oil, not volume, in your fork legs, maybe due to some wear going on inside that one leg. Perhaps there is some rubbing going on, between the leg and the lower slider? Maybe the oil is thickened and darkened due to aluminium slag? You may want to check that all is tight in that Leg.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:46:23 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.