Author Topic: C5 conical air filter  (Read 12284 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 12:59:55 pm
I'm totally slacking.  I'm between jobs for a week and on vacation, I'll get back on tis when I get home.

Bob, all the looking around the web I did said that MAP is less sensitive than MAF, so much so that it's often preferred for performance applications where MAF falls short.  That said, it's all theoretical right now and I'm sure individual application can vary which is why we just need to mount one of these up for a while and see what happens.  As soon as I'm done with vacation....  ;)

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 03:20:31 pm
I love the inventiveness and the willingness to experiment for better or worse. I would also like Scotty to explain the word "vacation", it is not a word that either Scooter Bob or I  am familiar with.

FYI - We also have put together a low restriction air filter. For sale soon
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 04:17:54 pm
I love the inventiveness and the willingness to experiment for better or worse. I would also like Scotty to explain the word "vacation", it is not a word that either Scooter Bob or I  am familiar with.

FYI - We also have put together a low restriction air filter. For sale soon

Kevin, what will it look like?

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 04:45:26 pm
Direct replacement for the OEM
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 06:20:58 pm
Direct replacement for the OEM

Sounds great!  Another way to spend money!!   :D

How will a low-restriction air filter jibe with the upswept or EFI silencers, compared to the stock torpedo?
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 07:05:49 pm
The map on the UCE bikes is pretty wide, we have tried one and no  problem
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 04:13:26 am
Vacation - Quitting one job and getting another, realizing that your wife is right and you should take a week off between the two because you don't want to take the toxic attitude with you from the old to the new, not having any money but saying, "Screw it, let's just credit card it because I need to flush 2 1/2 years of professional poison out of my system."

My bank statement says I can't afford this but my soul says I can't afford not to.  The last time I took more than a day off to go away and wasn't seeing family was 5 years ago for my honeymoon.  Oh, and my wife deserves this more than I ever will, she's the best.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 06:10:04 pm
The map on the UCE bikes is pretty wide, we have tried one and no  problem

Kevin, did you also try the air filter with a open pipe like your megaphone (or an open pipe with the stock airbox)? I experienced a lot of running problems with the RE megaphone installed (stock airbox). I had to take it off and put on the more restrictive EFI and 90% of my idling, stalling and hiccup problems immediately went away.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 06:25:07 pm
Hi prof thats the set up I have. The Watsonian curly whirly. No problems. See the link.

http://www.royal-enfield.com/silencers.html

Cheers, Shappers.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 06:37:15 pm
Hi prof thats the set up I have. The Watsonian curly whirly. No problems. See the link.

http://www.royal-enfield.com/silencers.html

Cheers, Shappers.

Interestingly none of them are approved for road use. I guess they make more noise than your neighbors can handle. 

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 09:11:10 pm
Kevin, did you also try the air filter with a open pipe like your megaphone (or an open pipe with the stock airbox)? I experienced a lot of running problems with the RE megaphone installed (stock airbox). I had to take it off and put on the more restrictive EFI and 90% of my idling, stalling and hiccup problems immediately went away.

Crash Test Dummy has the Meggy with the stock air intake on it ...... Runs like a minx .....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 04:53:58 am
Back from vacation, a huge success!  While away I talked my wife into letting me feed my 10 month old son pickles, bacon, and the best poutine in Vancouver.  Now back to motorcycle projects...

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 03:30:46 am
Today I picked up the upswept muffler from the Seattle dealer and will put it on this weekend.

So I got to wondering about the the upcoming low-restriction air filter.  If the EFI mapping is as wide as stated, what will be the advantage(s) of going with the new air filter? 

Heh, history is repeating itself here.  I did about the same upgrade stuff to my '78 SR500 (the first year it came to the US), also black.  Thankfully, the upswept muffler is less noisy than the White Brothers Supertrapp pipe I used.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 03:38:57 am
Yup, less restriction at either end means more air flow means more power.  If the map can provide enough fuel you'll be good.  If you don't like the exposed filter thing there are two filters from K&N that can should fit in the stock spot, I'll dig up the part numbers later.  And Bob mentioned a more free flow filter coming soon from CMW.

Scott

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 10:51:59 pm
You guys might be interested in what I posted here:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,7099.60.html

Art
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca
Royal Enfield and Triumph
www.douglasmotorcycles.com