Author Topic: C5 conical air filter  (Read 12285 times)

shappers

• Scooter
on: October 12, 2010, 11:21:33 pm
Hi y'all, made this about 2000 miles ago. Works a treat.

Shappers

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:43:50 pm
That is great, where did you find the filter? More details please.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:47:39 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Roger

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 12:14:58 am
And enough room for a can of "spare tire"  ;D
2017 Bullet
2007 Ural Patrol - the 'trol

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 12:23:18 am
Great idea shappers!  Great job! I was thinking of that after seeing Ducatiscotty's post.
How does the bike run?  What kind of exhaust are you using?  r80rt, that looks like a K&N knock off you could get for about 10-15 bucks apiece from somewhere like partsnmore.com or Z1 enterprizes. I've used them before,there petty good.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 12:51:07 am
Yeah I've used them, I want to know the exact size.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 01:45:31 am
Very nicely done!  I like that it maintains the stock air hose from filter to throttle body, that keeps the air volume up and the turbulence down with rain protection for the filter to boot!

Yes, details on the filter you used please.  I gotta learn to weld.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 03:22:07 am
Very nicely done!  I like that it maintains the stock air hose from filter to throttle body, that keeps the air volume up and the turbulence down with rain protection for the filter to boot!

Yes, details on the filter you used please.  I gotta learn to weld.

Scott
How about a steel or PVC flange, bolted through the box, some permatex or foam sealent underneath it. With a pub coming off it to attach the pod?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

rajithcherian

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 12:15:43 pm
Sorry to say this here are some of the problems you might face
1. Now the crank breather and PAV is getting dirty air. Think about what will happen if dust/water gets into the crank case.
2. Since you have retained the original hose the free flow nature of K&N will some what be negated due to the length of the hose and also its bent.
3. The air scope behind the air box is located very close to the open arch of the wheel and it will pick up water.
4. When the crank gets hot oil vapors come out from the crank breather and it WILL clog your filter.

Following is what I recommend:

Before everything you need to remove the oval tool. Three nuts from the inside to get proper access.

1. First you need to disconnect the plumbing work between the airbox and the throttle body. And this is the rubber tube I was talking abt.
2. K&N wont directly fit into the throttle body and I wont recommend it even if you can coz in that position the filter will be exposed to all the elements esp. water. You dont water to get in, do you?
3. So take this rubber tube/pipe and retain the side which goes into the throttle boddy and take abt 4 inch from that side and cut-off the remaining. Actually the length is upto you just see the filter is place neatly just below the "tilt sensor" under the seat. If you can find a better place please do so.
4. Fix the air-filter to one end of the tube and the other end to the throttle body. Secure the throttle body side with the ring lock privided in along with the filter.
5. Make sure the filter does not move arnd much. Use plastic tags if required.

The place I have choosen will be relatively dust free and water free than the airbox itself. If you dont believe ride on a dusty piece of road with your current setup and check. Now as for my setup I need to take care while only while washing her.

I just completed a 1000km/620mi trip. K&N performed really well.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:19:01 pm
1. Now the crank breather and PAV is getting dirty air. Think about what will happen if dust/water gets into the crank case.
Yup, we'd need to get a breather for the crankcase but K&N has those too.

2. Since you have retained the original hose the free flow nature of K&N will some what be negated due to the length of the hose and also its bent.
Yes, but I'm not interested in the free flow aspect so much as getting rid of the holes by the hinge in the air box that are letting dust into the clean air stream.

3. The air scope behind the air box is located very close to the open arch of the wheel and it will pick up water.
No more than it did stock.  Plus, an oiled air filter will shed more water than a paper element.

4. When the crank gets hot oil vapors come out from the crank breather and it WILL clog your filter.
With a separate K&N breather this is not a concern.  Also, the cone filter is covered in oil.  A few fumes or even some splash are not likely to foul it.

I like your idea of using a short length of hose with the filter set farther back.  More volume, more length to get flow with less turbulence.  Though I think exposure to the elements is minmal while riding since it's all under your thigh it is still a good idea to provide protection if you can, and it's definitely better when parked leaning over on the side stand.

That said, I'm looking at this for two major reasons:
1) Will the bike run well with a K&N bolted right to the throttle body?  The original poster never responded with more than the first impressions and I'm curious.  $40 for the experiment seems worthwhile to me.
2) I want an alternative to the stock setup since I can see holes in the hinge of the air box and I know dust can get into the clean air flow.

Scott

rajithcherian

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 06:14:17 am
I like your idea of using a short length of hose with the filter set farther back.  More volume, more length to get flow with less turbulence. 

C5 has a MAP sensor not a MAF. MAP is not affected by turbulence.

That said, I'm looking at this for two major reasons:
1) Will the bike run well with a K&N bolted right to the throttle body?  The original poster never responded with more than the first impressions and I'm curious.  $40 for the experiment seems worthwhile to me.
2) I want an alternative to the stock setup since I can see holes in the hinge of the air box and I know dust can get into the clean air flow.
Scott

As for the 1st point the bike will run better provided u have a Free flow exhaust.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 11:12:57 am
Hi y'all sorry for the delay in replying.  The filter is a straight universal type from my local parts place and has 2in inlet,  2in top dia 3in base dia and is 2.625in long.  The closest K&N appears to RC-2500.

The adapter was made from a bit of 1.5 steel sheet I had in the "might be useful one day" box.  I removed the tool box and found the tube up to the throttle body ended with a substantial round flange.  I can't remember the diameter but must be around 3in to 3.25in I just cut my piece the diameter but I had to trim it to fit inside the toolbox.

I next formed the tube from another bit of sheet round a bit of 2in bar from the same box, a bit lucky that.  With that poked into the air filter it was offered up to see how it might fit.  A felt tip marker pen drawn on the tube gave the angle needed for the base to clear the tool box and for the lock on the lid to fit inside and miss the filter.

The tube was cut and was used as a template to draw the resulting elipse on the flange piece.  This was drilled and filed to a reasonable fit with the stub.  The two pieces were then cleaned and tinned  with electrical solder and joined together using a 35W soldering iron using plenty flux.

The filter was now fitted to the adapter and offered up to the toolbox and the screw holes marked off.  Clearance holes were drilled and a gasket made from a bit of gasket sheet from the box and the whole lot reassembled.  Not bad for a days work.

Cheers, Shappers.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 06:43:55 pm
Cool mod - where did you guys come from?! We've been waiting for some reports of air box changes, and here we get a couple in just a few days! :)

Can you guys comment on any rough running, or side effects of the mod? My experience with exhaust changes made the bike run rough.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 07:50:52 pm
Hi Raj, in response to your points, no sign of any of them.

Cheers, Roger

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 04:22:16 pm
Scott, any luck yet?!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 12:55:22 pm
Sorry - I HAVE to call "Bravo Sierra" on this .......

"C5 has a MAP sensor not a MAF. MAP is not affected by turbulence."

The reason is that the MAF (Mass Air Flow measures the difference in temperature of two wires in the intake stream - one of which is heated. Turbulence does not DIRECTLY affect the sensors reading as all it does is gets warmer or cooler (varies resistance) due to the air flow over it. The MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor is usually a membrane that is deflected DIRECTLY by the pressure in the manifold against a set pressure ON that membrane - turbulence in the intake makes them quake like a drum head, therefore upsetting the mixture.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!