Author Topic: Paint Issues  (Read 2345 times)

3rdgear

• Scooter
on: October 11, 2010, 06:33:57 pm
Noticed the paint around the filler hole on my tank is coming off, I assume it's from gas but thought the paint would hold up better.  Also, noticed what appears to be paint in the tank coming loose.  This may be over spray from the tank being painted but not 100% sure.  Is this normal? Would this be considered a warranty issue?

Thanks,
3rdGear

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 06:35:31 pm
I would contact the dealer, mine is not coming off, but there have been some warrenty issues involving paint that has been taken care of...
Any other Enfields in New England?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 07:18:47 pm
I have the same thing: paint right inside the filler neck coming off and some inside the tank as well.  I'm not too worried about either, neither area is exposed to the elements.  I was surprised to see paint inside the tank in the first place, all my other tanks have been bare metal.

I figure I'll take it off this winter and clean the inside out.

Any doubts, go ask your dealer.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:10:40 pm
I havent gotten around to it yet, but I was going ot stich a sock in there and then slice around the neck with a blade and neatly remove it all.

When the paint is like this, it does NOT seal well. If you fill your tank all the way up and then put it on the side stand, it leaks gas al over your nice hot engine. :) After you fill; up, use the center stand!

I'm sure I have a few chunks of paint hanging out in my gas tank.. kind of sucks! Anyone know if the fuel filter is easy to get to?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 09:52:04 pm
I'm guessing it's integrated into the fuel pump.  Easy to remove with a few allen bolts.  Make sure you disconnect your battery first.

Scott

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 10:22:27 pm
.. and drain the gas!?

Thats the box I'm assuming is well underneath the tank, right? Sounds like a messy job..

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 11:02:55 pm
It's probably not that messy but you will need to drain the tank and you're likely to spill some gas no matter what.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 01:13:44 am
When the paint is like this, it does NOT seal well. If you fill your tank all the way up and then put it on the side stand, it leaks gas all over your nice hot engine. :)
After you fill; up, use the center stand!

I use the side stand to fill it up each time.  Then there are no worries about gas leaking from the top.  If I were heading out on a long ride I might fill it on the center stand before departing.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 04:31:59 am
I'm sure I have a few chunks of paint hanging out in my gas tank.. kind of sucks!

You do.  And when it starts missing, like mine was, you'll know why...  ;)
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"