Author Topic: Tuning stock Micarb carburetor  (Read 21731 times)

gemini641

• Scooter
on: July 19, 2007, 04:47:00 pm
I just installed a K&N air filter and the shorty pipe (w/o baffle) on my 2005 Deluxe and started the rejetting process. I was surprised to find the carb already had a 120 main jet rather than the 115 main jet sold as "stock". The pilot jet, however, was the stock 25. I went ahead and put in a 27.5 pilot jet and left the 120 main jet in place. I did not move the needle valve clip yet. She sounds sweet but runs only OK . I can't seem to get the mixture to "lean" out using the air mixture screw.. The plug shows rich and even worse, when I crack the throttle sharply open while standing at idle, the engine just stops abruptly. I don't think that's good!!

I have removed the PAV system, sealing off the exhaust outlet and the manifold inlet. Is that a factor?

Anyway, any suggestions out there from someone who has successfully tuned their carb?? All help appreciated....

Tom

gemini641

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 06:49:26 pm
Thanks, Matt...

I'll try your method...and link to the references...

Ride safely,

Tom

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

bikeniterider

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 04:21:06 pm
I am a newbie to the board. I installed the Electra performance kit on a customers bike and the difference was terrific. I bought the kit from Royal Enfield USA which has the JRC flat slide carb.  I like these better than the AMAL carburetors for several reasons. The Amal's wear our quickly and can be quite fussy. The flat slide also has better response. I thought that the main jet it came with was a little too rich so I installed one of the smaller jets that they supply with the kit and it worked great. It can be seen here Royal Enfield USA

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 04:37:57 pm
I replaced my stock air cleaner with a K&N and changed to a goldstar exhaust. Changed low speed jets to 30 and main jet to 130. Bike runs perfectly, starts on first or second kick usually without choke, and for some strange reason gets 20-25 more mpg than stock. Went from 75-80 mpg to about 100mpg. Now I get 300+ miles per tank!!!! Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

deejay

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 06:45:24 pm
I replaced my stock air cleaner with a K&N and changed to a goldstar exhaust. Changed low speed jets to 30 and main jet to 130. Bike runs perfectly, starts on first or second kick usually without choke, and for some strange reason gets 20-25 more mpg than stock. Went from 75-80 mpg to about 100mpg. Now I get 300+ miles per tank!!!! Dew.

Do you ride a bullet or an electra?

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 01:02:50 pm

Do you ride a bullet or an electra?
I ride a bullet. Dew.

deejay

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 02:14:37 pm
I have the brit exhaust system and k&n filter. I was running the same setup on my bullet for about a week (30 pilot, 130 main). People over at the Yahoo board seemed to think this was way rich. I confirmed this theory when I noticed slightly dark exhaust smoke and a dark plug. Yesterday I switched down to a 127.5 main which sputtered a bit until I moved the main needle to the bottom notch (needle set at highest relative to carb slide). Now the bike pulls like an ox and seems to be running very nice at all rpms.

Thats my 2 cents.

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 05:33:55 pm
I have the brit exhaust system and k&n filter. I was running the same setup on my bullet for about a week (30 pilot, 130 main). People over at the Yahoo board seemed to think this was way rich. I confirmed this theory when I noticed slightly dark exhaust smoke and a dark plug. Yesterday I switched down to a 127.5 main which sputtered a bit until I moved the main needle to the bottom notch (needle set at highest relative to carb slide). Now the bike pulls like an ox and seems to be running very nice at all rpms.

Thats my 2 cents.
My bike doesnt seem overly rich, although these bikes do run a little better on the rich side. The goldstar muffler is pretty much a straight through affair. There is a 11/2 hole running all the way through the pipe with baffles on the sides. It is very loud when on the gas, but is reasonable around town if the revs are kept down. This is probably the causes the difference in the jetting of our two bikes. Dew.

deejay

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 05:47:12 pm
Brit style exhaust is straight through too... but, as I've found out all of these bikes seem to be different. Your needle could be set different too, i was surprised how much of a change that made to my bike.

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 05:01:03 pm
There could also have been a few changes in the bikes from 2000 to 2006. Dew.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 11:39:03 pm
We answer jetting questions all day long. Of course there is a lot of science that goes into jetting, but there seems to a bit of art as well. We can give you a general range, but each bike and each situation is different. If you are racing you compensate for humidity, temperature, altitude etc.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com