Author Topic: How embarressing!!  (Read 3171 times)

shappers

• Scooter
on: October 10, 2010, 03:37:10 pm
Hi y'all, my C5 stopped today on the way back from an enjoyable run with a couple of BSA riders.

The right hand mirror came loose and swung round pointing at my chest.  When we reached the main road I pulled up with the motor ticking over nicely to swing the mirror back into position.  While fiddling with the lock nut and the mirror the motor stopped but I took no notice until I had finished with the mirror.

Would it re-start, would it hell as like.  Took the headlight off, checked all the connectors fine.  Checked lights indicators stop light, fine.  No need to check side stand switch as side stand not used (any how I've removed it so this kind of thing wouldn't happen.  Sent companions on their way and called for recovery.  As he turned up I spotted the the bloody kill switch was off.

Turned it on and it started.

Apologised to the breakdown bloke and made my way home, still in time for lunch.

So, not so much an unreliable bike, more an unreliable owner!

Moral, CHECK THE KILL SWITCH IF IT WON'T START!!

Cheers, Shappers.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 03:46:11 pm
Man those kill switches will give you moments like that, don't be embarrassed it gets us all sooner or later :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 04:09:13 pm
We seem to have a blind spot when it comes to kill switches. I remember once removing spark plugs, no spark, so moved onto coils, connections, you name it only for a passing motorcyclist to point to the kill switch. Yes, unbelievably embarrassing but it'll only happen once! Lessons like that do tend to sink in!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 04:35:41 pm
Shappers:

I was reading the first few lines that built more suspense - what is going to break next or fall off the frame ? But in the end all is well !  It happens to all of us sooner or later, that we overlook something simple that we take for guaranteed.  Glad to see your C5 is thumping good.

If I can suggest - tighten EVERY nut, bolt, screw head that you can see on your bike.  It is no Honda  ;).  Even after 10,000 miles on my G5, I still find nuts/bolts which were getting loose or I had missed inadvertently or thought were not important.  But in the long run, it pays off.

No embarrassment - just a good laugh.  Keep on thumping - with a pocketful of tools  ;D
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 05:02:38 pm
I had a similar thing happen to me on my first ever ride on my DL,--not with the kill switch, but with a false neutral, ie no green light.Called breakdown etc, then realised I had a false neutral.
So now I always check for a green light, plus a red fuel pump light.
But,- its easy done when we are all excited about getting on along the road.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 11:04:49 pm
If I can suggest - tighten EVERY nut, bolt, screw head that you can see on your bike.  It is no Honda  ;).

Very good suggestion.  Get yourself some Loctite.  I like Green.

Good time for a Loctite seminar...

Loctite Blue 242 is for screws that may need to be removed. in the future.  It's purpose is to prevent screws from vibrating loose, yet still allow them to be easily removed with standard tools.

Loctite Red (262) is a permanent bonder for nuts/bolts that will not normally be removed.
To remove parts bonded with Red, you need to use heat and heavy-duty tools. No real application on Motorcycles/

Loctite Black (380), also called Loctite "Black MAX" is a "super glue" mixed with rubbery bonders. Can be used for things like bonding rubber backing onto a steel foot-pegs.. The rubbery bonders cushion vibration and prevent the parts from coming off. It's primarily a bonder used to "glue" parts on something. It's used in the automotive industry to bond handles, knobs and trim in cars. Lots of Motorcycle applications.

Loctite Green (290) is a very thin consistency and is used to secure screws that are already in place. The thin consistency allows the Loctite to "wick"  down into the threads. 

I like the Green (290) because it can be applied prior to assembly or a drop put on the thread (where it meets the nut) after assembly and it will wick into the threads. It is removable with hand tools.

Loctite is not a Glue, it is an Anaerobic Adhesive.  That means it cures in the absence of Oxygen while in the presence of Metal Ions and moisture.  That is why it does not "cure" in the tube. The tube is made of a special plastic that "Breathes" so it is not really airtight. The tube can allow Oxygen Molecules to pass through, but the Loctite Molecules are too big to pass through.  If you put Alcohol or a solvent in the loctite tube or bottle it will evaporate even with the cap on.

I have seen it demonstrated where Loctite secures hardware better than a lock-nut or Lock washer assembly.

Before you run out and buy, check the numbers not just the color. Loctite makes a ton of special application adhesives. There are different Blacks and Greens, for instance there are Blacks that are for Gaskets, and Greens for Spherical applications etc. If you order it be sure of the number as well as color.

Quinn
Any other Enfields in New England?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 04:32:33 am
Loctite is similar to Krazy glue.  Both are based on acrylic acid, which is CH2=CH-COOH.  On polymerization it will form hard plastic.

Acrylic acid is modified by replacing H of middle carbon with methyl group in Loctite and by cyano group in Krazy glue.

Loctite                                                       Krazy glue

CH2=C-COOH                                                      CH2=C-COOH
        |                                                                        |
       CH3                                                                    CN

Next step is to remove H from COOH by esterification by reacting with an alcohol to form an ester.

CH2=C-COO-CH3                                                        CH2=C-COO-CH2CH3
        |                                                                              |
       CH3                                                                          CN

Methyl methacrylate                                                    Ethyl cyanoacrylate

These are the simplified forms of commonly used products.  Their adhesive properties are affected by the 'attached' groups.  The exact nature of the 'ester' groups may be different to impart different properties.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:38:17 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 05:20:26 am
Still not as embarrassing as letting out the clutch when you think it's in neutral but it's in 1st.  Did this the other day on the RE and it lurched forward but I had the front brake on so I just looked dumb.  I did that once too on the last day of a 4 day long trip on my Ducati, I was really tired.  No harm except to my pride in either case.

Also, Loctite makes a version just for nylon fasteners.

Scott

3rdgear

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 02:29:39 pm
A few years back, I was riding my brand new Triumph Speed Triple with 4 other friends. Pulled up to a intersection, buddy says to me "your shoes un-tied".  I look down and then attempt to put the side stand down.  Nothing more embarrassing than seeing a brand new bike rocking on it's side. Duh!

At that point, I was so embarrassed, that I just wanted ride home and go back to bed. I stuck it out and had one of my favorites rides ever because I was not worried about putting the first scratch on my new baby.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 06:34:04 pm
Then there is always the times I shift down approaching a traffic light, the light turns green, I think I am in first but am really in second or third, open the clutch and stall the engine.  Of course that never happens unless the intersection is chock full of observers and pedistrians...Like at the intersection of Main St., during bike week..... :o
Any other Enfields in New England?

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 04:23:25 am
On other machines:

I've fallen over at intersections.
I've run out of gas thirty feet from a petrol station.
I've forgotten to switch on a petcock and kicked and kicked and kicked...
I've left sidestands down and couldn't comprehend why it kept stalling when I'd put it in gear.

I'm sure I've done other silly things, but the gentle healing powers of time have erased them from my memory...   ;D
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"