Author Topic: sputtering  (Read 8867 times)

billy2sheds

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 07:34:37 pm
It will be something simple. The odds of "blowing up" that engine are about zero unless you run it with no oil. It has a rev. limiter to protect you from yourself and the engine is very well designed.

I also suggest taking into the shop for some warranty work.
rev limiter,that could have been my problem,i was at a set of traffic lights in the outside lane they changed to green i gave it the beans,going great untill i was flat out in fourth gear then nothing she just sat there spluttering popping and @@@ting.
i knocked her into top and she picked up and i took her up to 70 then ran out of road. ???

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 07:45:01 pm
Sounds like it.  That's what happens with rev limiters, you're zipping right along and then it just barfs at high revs.  Off the throttle a little and it's back to normal.

Most cut spark once you cross the line.  Either way, it tends to be a rather abrupt interruption to a good time.  If it's running smooth at more reasonable engine speeds then you're prolly just fine.

I've hit the limiter on most of my bikes.  Some feel smooth, like a bog in the carburetion.  The Ducati hit like a brick wall, very abrupt and very unsettling if cornering.  Also easy to hit on that bike, it just keeps smoothly pulling no matter how much you rev it.  At least the RE is probably tapering off on power and vibrating enough to let you know that you're wringing its neck before you hit it.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 07:51:22 pm
 OK boys, point taken, I will behave. But you must admit, he was kidding with us about the no handed, full throttled attempt at the Ton.   I meant no harm, I don't think any was taken,I thought that was clear, If it did, I apologize.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 07:58:23 pm
I knew what you meant, no offense here.  I just don't want a newbie not used to the usual ribbing around here to get the wrong impression, that's all.  Gotta keep the new converts coming ;)

Consider the subject closed :)

Scott

Vitalc

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 08:09:45 pm
They are young, fragile, vulnerable, and need the utmost protection

Totally agree!  under 60 you're young and fragile and vulnerable, and then,  over 70 you're old and fragile and vulnerable  ;D ;D

This must be the most courteous and respectful bike forum I ever came across .
And a very helpful one, of course. :)

It seems to me it was more throttle position - than rpm, though I'm not absolutely sure. That's why I thought "carbs" or fuel delivery. Can't look around the gastank - without a periscope. ...Reminds me of a similar experience with an outrageous Confederate. The issue there : the peeling coating of the carbonfibre tank was clogging the fuelfilter off and on.
What happens during a topspeed run, I guess is NOT max rmp, NOT max heat, but max fuel and air flow.  Anyway, will make a dealer appointment, and check some more.

Thanks a bunch

Vitalc

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 01:18:03 am
I thought I’d follow up about this,  as you all have been so kind to try and help me out.
That is, apart from GHG, who didn’t realize the fragility of my feelings  ;D.

So the bright RE mechanic discovered a voltage drop at the fuel pump connector, which lead him to find a half-broken terminal connection – giving poor connection, so when the demand for fuel increased , it failed. 

Sorted under warranty. Thanks Royal. :)

Bike rides fine again, ready for more speed testing

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 01:40:24 am
Glad to hear the outcome for you and that the RE tech was so sharp.  RE just seems to attract good people.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 02:10:48 am
 Glad you got it sorted Vitalc. ;)  Sharp Mechanic to.
Did someone around here say it sounded like it was fuel starved?  ::)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:40:43 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 07:00:17 pm
Also she has a reverse cone pipe.

Stop looking for the problem, this is it. I went through three different pipes before realizing that the stock map can NOT handle open (or anywhere near open) pipes. I had ALL of the same problems as you did, hesitations, stalling at idle...). Then I put on the more restrictive EFI silencer, and they immediately went away. I even tried the megaphone that RE sells direct, and it was the worst of them all.  These bikes NEED back pressure.

Your solution is to change your pipe!

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 07:13:36 pm
Stop looking for the problem, this is it. I went through three different pipes before realizing that the stock map can NOT handle open (or anywhere near open) pipes. I had ALL of the same problems as you did, hesitations, stalling at idle...). Then I put on the more restrictive EFI silencer, and they immediately went away. I even tried the megaphone that RE sells direct, and it was the worst of them all.  These bikes NEED back pressure.

I totally agree with you on this. My C5 performs far better with the bazooka then the upswept. These bulls need back pressure.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 08:56:16 pm

???  Uh... did you notice that a few posts up he says the problem was discovered and resolved?  It was a poor electrical connection at the fuel pump - nothing to do with the exhaust.

Eamon
Eamon

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 09:26:44 pm
Also the Goldie pipe that Watsonian sell is an open pipe. It works brilliantly - my bike had never stalled or stuttered and pick up is linear. I honestly cannot fault it.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 01:17:53 am
???  Uh... did you notice that a few posts up he says the problem was discovered and resolved?  It was a poor electrical connection at the fuel pump - nothing to do with the exhaust.

Eamon

Oops, well for anyone else reading this in the future, its still handy info. My problems were identical!

Vitalc

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 02:20:30 am
...maybe bikes with a poor electrical connection at the fuelpump don't support an open pipe ?  ;D ;D

clubman, each time I see your avatar, I start dreaming about a G5 continental kit.
I was told it will be in the 2011 catalogue.
Would be a great winter project... :)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 01:07:37 pm

The Crash Test Dummy would prove otherwise with its TOTALLY stock EFI system - and rudely OPEN (meggy!) exhaust ..... I think SOME one has been beaten with the Harley Stick ..... "If you put new chrome floor boards on it, you gotta get 'er REEEE_mapped, buddeh ..... "  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!