Author Topic: engine case/fork tube cleaning??  (Read 4009 times)

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 13, 2008, 07:44:00 pm
    Never thought I'd be asking a question like this. I've noticed that my 2007 500 Classic with just at 140 miles now is getting some oxidation(?) on the engine cases and lower fork legs. What are some suggestions on methods to clean this up? My other bike is a 2005 Kawasaki KLR650 dual sport that I have probably washed once or twice. KLR riders generally wear their dirt like a badge of honor don't you know, and also, I ride year round here in the Pacific Northwest area in Wa. State. But, darn, it, I want my Bullet to keep its good looks!!
   Suggestions please to clean this stuff off and help prevent/minimize this problem?

Thank you, Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:01:40 pm
It sounds like you just need a good alloy polish.  CMW has an interesting one that contains carnuba wax to keep the nice look longer.  Thre's also Simichrome, Mothers Chrome and Alloy cleaner, and so on.  Go to your local autozone or similar stor to see whats available.

They all require a bit of elbow grease, but the result is very satisfying.  Maybe after the polishing apply a little high quality wax to protect the finish.  Alloy needs this sort of treatment every once in a while.  Personally, I much prefer the polished alloy look to chrome on engine cases.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:14:50 pm
Aha.
Now I know why I like my Army version. Less polishing but you do have to respray the retaining bolt etc (for the primary chain case) if you remove it as paint comes off with the spanner!!!
It'll keep you warm though Birdmove  ;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:18:12 am
Mother's Metal Polish & elbow grease; look at my cases & forks on the "Emmet's Enfield" link below.

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 05:56:18 pm
Emmet,
  Took the liberty of looking at the rest of your photobucket albums and enjoyed seeing all your different kilts.  Now I know you probably get sick of Scotsman and kilt jokes and rest assured that I am serious here........(sort of) do you ever wear your kilt while riding the RE?  If so just how to you maintain your modesty, assuming it's true about what isn't worn under the kilt.
Just Wondering,
Leonard

Mother's Metal Polish & elbow grease; look at my cases & forks on the "Emmet's Enfield" link below.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 02:21:52 pm
I've never ridden kilted; Mel Gibson nonwithstanding, historically folks generally wore trews (tartan trousers) when mounted, and a kilt's a very expensive garment; were I to go down, I'm not sure which I'd be the most apprehensive about; tearing up my kilt or my bare skin.
I suppose I would ride kilted if I needed to be somewhere and the car wouldn't start; my pipe case rides quite well athwartships on the pillion with a couple of bungee cords to the mudguard stays. As kilts have no pockets, folks generally wear a sporran; a leather pouch in front for wallet, car keys, flask of Scotch, what have you, which at Bullet speeds should keep the apron down. I suppose if I were feeling particularly shy, I could tuck in the inner apron...

By the way, the answer is lipstick. On a good day, at least two shades.
 ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 02:24:52 pm by Emmet »

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 05:45:52 pm
By the way, the answer is lipstick. On a good day, at least two shades.
 ;D

Thanks for the info.  Lipstick  :D that's a hoot.  LOL
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com