Author Topic: Gas tank rust  (Read 10880 times)

LJRead

Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 08:13:34 pm
I seem to remember that I always had an oily smell when riding bikes back in the old days.

I suppose that's one of the advantages of a scooter?

deejay

Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 08:37:46 pm
That's a good point, mtrude, and, infact, I've posted about four topics in this Tech Tips section and have been very pleased with the results. 

Does anyone know about how the frame of recent R E's holds up?  Is it powder coated and is the rust protection (paint) adequate?  I'm tempted to do a complete corrosion prep on the bike, but will have to see what I can do with the materials available here.  Keeping it clean and maybe some oil and WD-40 will help.  When you can't afford to replace things, it seems best to take special care and effort.

The frames are powder coated. I never let my tank sit for more than a few days with minimal fuel in it. I make sure she's full when she sits and I have no rust at all. My father also owns a Bullet, and the previous owner let the bike sit with only a bit of gas in it and the tank is rusted on the inside. He has to clean his carb a lot. His bike is a 2002 and the coating on the inside of the tank is different from mine, which is a 2006. Maybe they upgraded the tank sealer?