Author Topic: Front fork removal and disassembly, '89 Indian 500 Bullet  (Read 4294 times)

fnickel

• Scooter
Working on an '89 or '90 500 Bullet for a friend. This one was purchased in India, used there for travel for a year or 2 and then brought into Canada. Frame # 9B-5052, Engine # B-5052. I have questions about front fork removal and disassembly to change the fork seals. I have done this type of work on other Japanese motorcycles, but this looks a little different. I have removed the clamp bolt and nuts. Do you need to wedge something in the clamp area to get the forks to slide out? Then, how do you disassemble the lower outer fork from the upper inner forks? Are there special tools required, or can some be improvised? These forks have a metal fork cover over the inner forks, that are just below the headlight and are about 10 inches long. I have looked for some detailed descriptions on this work, but have not found anything detailed enough. I do have the front wheel off already. Thanks for any help that any of you can give.  

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:55:15 am
fnickel -

These are a little different than you're used to on japanese bikes... the big screw on the top end of each fork leg in the headlamp casquette is a cap... unscrew it and you'll see a hex-shaped fitting under it.  You'll need a large hex wrench to go into this socket and UNSCREW the upper fork tubes from the casquette... 

I'm describing my experience on my '07 Classic... I think I used a 12mm hex wrench - you're mileage may vary - couldn't hazard a guess as to what size might be on an '89 or '90 non-export model...

Our host sells a special spanner for this:
www.royalenfieldusa.com/front-fork-main-tube-spanner-p-11.html

A free online manual that's usable and describes the procedures you're trying to do:
http://workshopmanual.tripod.com/

Have fun...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman