Author Topic: new member  (Read 3682 times)

jimsE

• Scooter
  • Lovin the ride
on: January 12, 2008, 04:33:28 pm
I have been enjoying this forum for over a month and decided it was time to join.  Purchased the '08 Electra in December and have about 700 miles on it now.  The last fill-up gave me 71.21 mpg (US measure) ;D.  Break-in is going fine and I can tell a difference in its personality as the miles build. 
 The only problems have been minor (if you don't count the big mess I made at the first fluid change);  burned out low beam , loose right turn signal connector and very small tank leak at the left rear mounting ear.
I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.
Jim

2008 Electra, smiling jim

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 08:58:01 pm
   Welcome to you, Jim I just bought a new 2007 500 Classic myself and am doing the break in.It'll go quicker if it ever quits raining here in Wa State. I'm getting about mid to high 60's for gas mileage so far.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 12:45:26 am
Jim
A loose connector or two, or even a burned out bulb, is no big deal, but if I were you, I'd ask for a replacement tank. Could be stress cracks in the metal, or bad welds. Either way, that is not something a new owner should have to deal with.

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 01:13:35 am
Welcome Jim,

Glad you're enjoying your Electra. Sorry about the minor problems. Luoma is right about the tank, that's something to look at getting swapped out or fixed professionally. Sounds like the bike is being broken in nicely and its training you quite well to.

Paul
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 03:23:20 am
hello i am here with you 2  :)

jimsE

• Scooter
  • Lovin the ride
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 03:28:48 am
Thanks for the comments.  As soon as I notified the dealer about the tank leak he started a warranty claim.  When I had it off it looked like a pin hole in the weld.
Jim
2008 Electra, smiling jim

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:42:57 pm
Whilst the standard tank does occasionaly have  quality control problems , one of the main reasons that cause either the Classic or Deluxe tank to fail when used on the Electra is that the rear fixing lugs are wider on these tanks than they are on the standard Electra tank (the one with the 3D logo). 

As you tighten up the rear bolt it simply tears open the weld (or the part of the tank adjacent to it) causing a leak.

The easiest fix is to insert a spacer between the frame and one of the lugs.
I used a 6mm spacer and inserted it next to the right hand lug in order to keep the
tank sitting central on the frame.

Enjoy the bike.

Ric
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 12:44:36 pm by longstrokeclassic »
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 09:37:01 pm
Welcome to the forum and good (or better) luck with the bike.  Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120