Author Topic: '06 "65" is now in my garage  (Read 16911 times)

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: January 23, 2008, 03:13:13 pm
hmm,,,,and here I was thinking that emission control is about reducing what is emitted, not just confounding the measurement by diluting the exhaust with fresh air before it hits the measurement point!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #46 on: January 23, 2008, 04:48:03 pm
Well, I think the new 2008 emission requirements here, but mostly in Europe meant that the iron engine wouldn't pass with PAV at all. Not sure if they're more stringent or if they outlawed practices like PAV but the end result is the same. No more iron engines here. Bummer.

I'll agree that the PAV is kind of cheating, but I'm sure RE didn't want to spend mucho money for a band aid solution on an engine it knew would be phased out.
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #47 on: January 23, 2008, 06:15:36 pm
The PAV valve is much like to old dump valves in 1970's autos. When you decelerate the mixture goes rich for a minute and the extra dump of air helps it burn lowering HC. The other IMPORTANT point is the the PAV works in conjunction with the hot  tube at the end of the exhaust pipe. The hot tube is a mini catalytic converter. The extra oxygen put in the pope when the mixture  richens helps the hot tube do it's job. A carburettor and points controlled engine is crudely controlled as opposed to a closed loop fuel injection system which obviates the need for a lot of the add on devices. Of course it has it's emissions.
Four of us from the shop are going to Germany later this week for training on the UCE engine and the FI system, so we will know more when we get back.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: January 29, 2008, 02:44:47 am
I think you will be pleasantly surprised about how many bikers "get" your Enfield.

I did a Cure Autism Now charity ride here in Chicago last year. Close to 1000 bikes,  about 90% of which were Harley's. I got nothing but compliments about the Enfield.

When I ride to the office I get tons of questions and the occasional Indian cab driver reminiscing. I has a guy walking his dog come over to talk to me when I was working on it behind my condo building one day.

The classic look just seems to be appreciated by everybody.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175