Author Topic: '06 "65" is now in my garage  (Read 16901 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: January 11, 2008, 11:44:12 pm
I picked up my 65 yesterday, 40 degrees and rainy.  Rode it 60 miles to the house.  Got kind of cold and wet.  But that's OK, the frostbite isn't too bad.  I didn't use all those toes anyway.

I blew off an appointment to spend time adjusting, oiling, polishing and riding my new baby.  OCD can be lots of fun!

So here's my first impressions of the bike.

It isn't a rocket taking off but it is adequate.  It is capable of some decent speed but doesn't want to be pressed too hard about it.  A 6.5:1 compression ratio is really low and makes for lazy, torquey, and very fun ride.

Most bikers won't get it.  It runs pretty well for what it is.  But that's not what it's all about.  This machine is about sound, feel, posture, good vibrations, karma, and fun - loads of fun.  It has its own pace and its own way of doing things.  What is a precise measurement on most machines is just an approximation on this one.  It is truly a machine to have a relationship with.

Why am I saying all this to you guys?  You all know this stuff.  You don't need to hear another RE noobie blathering and slobbering on about the bike you already know. 

Well, I'm sorry but the Bullet is sort of a mystical thing and I have to tell someone, so you're it.

Also, I am ever so happy and proud to be a Bullet rider.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 11:55:21 pm
Go ahead and blather, we still love hearing it.

Your new RE may seem slow, and it will never be a fast bike, but as it breakis in, it will get more and more willing.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:57:56 pm
I should have read the post more carefully, as an 06, it probably already is broke in. Still, it is really easy to make it go faster.

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:58:11 pm
I'd say you have the perfect attitude toward the bike and will have a good relationship with it. Enjoy.

You're right, most bikers don't get it, but that's part of the charm. As long as you realize it isn't nor will it ever be a Honda, you'll be blissfully happy, polishing, fixing, riding, improving, or undoing the mandated "improvements" it already has.

I don't think anyone here minds a newbie 'blathering'. It reminds us why we got one in the first place.
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 12:47:56 am
Congrats. Posts some pictures when you can.

BTW, ?OCD?

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 01:30:11 am
Blather away Fred! Until I can get my hands on mine I have to live vicariously through you. So keep all of those boring details coming. ;D Congrats and best of luck.  Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 02:19:31 am
Thumper - I believe he means Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Chuck - What do you have coming?

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 03:01:15 am
Bandit, I've got an '06 sixty five on a layaway at UK Motorsports on Long Island(N.Y). I'm almost halfway there. Another two months oughta do it. Oh, it's magic black. Man am i jazzed about this, you don't know. Well maybe you do. ;)

2017 Triumph T120

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 03:14:24 am
Hey guys, I have a black deluxe,2007, but I was really tempted buy a red sixty-five. Just a question, what is magic black?

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 03:16:47 am
Oh, I know how you feel Chuck. I thought about it and saved and thought about it and eventually caved in and bought mine last year. You won't be disappointed. Its like nothing else you've ever ridden. Mine is the olive military version. Bootiful.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 03:34:36 am
    The 65s are a beautiful looking motorcycle-thats for sure. But my 2007 Classic won me over by a nose.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 03:49:26 am
Jon, magic black is a deep, deep green metallic. You can see one in photo gallery. It's the one with the two red car horns. And by the way,Bandit, it will be my first bike, so nothing to compare it to. Yet. ;D   chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 01:52:57 pm
You're right Bandit.  Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is what it's all about.

Example:
I haven't polished allow in many years.  I sat down with Mothers Mag and Chrome Cleaner and a good rag (it's OK, she has other bath towels) and commenced polishing.  It was an almost religous experience.  Chrome will never look as classy as polished alloy.

Then I adjusted the clutch cable as it was too tight.  Probably by as much as .005"

Setting up the dual leading shoe front brake was a hoot.  Lots of attempts, with some fair results at the end.

Had to move the rear brake lever down a bit.  So adjusted that and changed the hole for the brake light switch spring.

Over filled the oil tank so I had to siphon some of the oil back out to get the correct level.

About this time I realized it was 7:30 PM, dark and cold, so I gave it up for the day.  One hot shower and some comfort food later and I fine.

These bikes are such fun to tinker with. 

The Classic was the bike that first captured my interest.  But the red 65 spoke to me.  I'll post some pics when I get some of the necessary accessories put on it.  Anybody know of a good, reasonably priced windshield for these things?  I like the Style 3 shield CMW has but it's way too expensive, IMO.

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 03:24:37 pm
Like some other things I can think of, the first time is special!!! But I am looking forward just as much to my second Bullet, due next week, because this one will be with an iron 350 cc engine, my first bike bought in October is the AVL 500 cc version.
And it such fun to hear other's first times too! All of us know OCD just as well, but it is still good to know that there are fellow maniacs across the whole world who are just as afflicted!!!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 01:07:25 am

And it such fun to hear other's first times too! All of us know OCD just as well, but it is still good to know that there are fellow maniacs across the whole world who are just as afflicted!!!

You got that right! This forum is full of maniac Bullet owners with OCD!

Fredgold52, tinker and have much fun. Its good for the soul.

Chuck, if this your first bike then it really will be like nothing else you've ever ridden! Be careful and take it easy. There is a steep learning curve to riding!

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 10:53:19 pm
Bandit,I plan to take a slow and carefull approach to this. In some ways i'm glad that I waited 'till middle age to do this as my judgement as a kid could be pretty suspect at times and as i'm fond of telling new cyclists (the motorless kind) that I meet on our local runs, it' more important (and far more impressive to old timers) to develop skill and finesse with your bike than to merely go fast. that comes later, much later. If you've ever seen pro's race (bikes or motorbikes) you know what I mean. It's that (seemingly) effortless grace as they carve up turns; it's like ballet, no, it IS ballet on two wheels. I know  that I did things a little ass backwards by buying the bike before I even know how to ride, but all of my instincts tell me that this will work out. And that's in no small part due to this forum. On occasion this little leap into the unknown is scary but this site is f#%king amazing; a real steadying influence. Truth be told, I found the whole idea of motorcycling a little intimidating before RE entered my life, but as Indian48 alluded, when love comes knocking, you don't say "go away". Sorry to be long winded about this but it's a little like therapy for me. With two months to go before I can even take that MSF (they don"t start up again "till mid-March) it just helps to express this stuff. Just tell me to shut up anytime and I will. ;D    By the way Fred, I couldn't agree more about Al alloy vs. chrome. Back in the day, ( mid 50's through the early 90's) the best high end bicycle components where cold forged aluminum alloy. They'd be polished to a fare thee well by the manufacturer and maintained that way by their proud owners. I have gone through at least a half dozen tubes of simichrome (the best!) myself. Yeah, polished alloy has an incomparable lustre that makes chrome look cheap. Then in strange parallel to what has happened in the motorcycle world, the companies moved away from this aesthetic and started producing parts and frames in plasticky carbon fiber. Dull and lifeless to the eye, it doesn't invite meticulous upkeep. The components themselves are becoming less and less user serviceable all in the name of presenting a less threatening product to the novice on the salesfloor. The fine art of friction shifting has been replaced by indexing. Rebuildable parts like hubs and bottoom brackets are now sealed and disposable. Ever lighter frames dance on the razors edge of safety... I'm starting to rant again. I will shut up NOW!

2017 Triumph T120

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 01:43:54 am
I know  that I did things a little ass backwards by buying the bike before I even know how to ride, but all of my instincts tell me that this will work out. And that's in no small part due to this forum. On occasion this little leap into the unknown is scary but this site is f#%king amazing; a real steadying influence. Truth be told, I found the whole idea of motorcycling a little intimidating before RE entered my life, but as Indian48 alluded, when love comes knocking, you don't say "go away".

I'm in a somewhat similar boat, Chuck D. I don't ride a motorcycle yet, either, but I'm 99% certain that I'll get an RE because it suits my preference for DIY maintenance and simple, elegant transportation. While I'm mechanically inclined and am not afraid to get my hands dirty, I've never done motorcycle maintenance before. Yet I still just sort of know this is my bike. I've been to showrooms and the international motorcycle show, have sat on and kicked the tires of just about every bike in production, and the Enfield is the most natural fit, like when you know you've found the right running shoes.

Anyway, I'm registered to take the MSF course at Trama's auto school in Long Island when they start up again this March, and it can't happen a day too soon.

I also just received my 1950s style pudding bowl helmet (DOT approved, too!) from JPhelmet.com. (Btw, if anyone is interested, the helmet seems well constructed except for the lining, which could be stitched more ruggedly, but the "goggles" that come with it are a toy -- not to be confused with protective equipment.)

My problem, at 31, is that I agreed not to buy a motorcycle until I've finished my dissertation, which won't be until the end of this coming Summer at the earliest. Obviously I made that agreement before I learned how to negotiate with my wife! But now I'm in a quandary because I want a Bullet Classic and it's being discontinued. I'm going to call UK Motorsports on Long Island to see if they'll do a layaway so I can guarantee myself a new, black Classic. I just hope they'll hold it that long. Otherwise, I might have to wait for this "new" G model that Kevin is titillating us with.

But if it's no good, and the country runs out of Classics, I might have to go Sportster.

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 01:53:58 am by jdrouin »

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 01:50:42 am
Chuck, You'll do just fine with your Bullet.  Taking the Safety Course is an excellent step toward insuring your success.  In contrast to your attitude about it are the people who have been riding for a couple years who don't think the Safety Course has anything to offer them.  Frequently these are the people who buy the 160 mph machines and become someones hood ornament.

You hit on what I think is one so the most wonderful parts of owning an RE, the obsolete technology that anyone who can read a manual ought to be able to work with.   There are things on the Bullet that I don't know about right now, but that doesn't scare me like trying to work on a new technology bike without a laptop and a bunch of other hjigh tech equipment.  That's just not for me.  

I mean, on these bikes you don't even use a feeler gauge to do the valve adjustment.  That's the best technology improvement I could have asked for! :)

Chuck, I don't know you but I'm pretty sure you're gonna just love this whole Bullet experience.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 02:00:39 am
Anyway, I'm registered to take the MSF course at Trama's auto school in Long Island when they start up again this March, and it can't happen a day too soon.

My problem, at 31, is that I agreed not to buy a motorcycle until I've finished my dissertation, which won't be until the end of this coming Summer at the earliest. Obviously I made that agreement before I learned how to negotiate with my wife! But now I'm in a quandary because I want a Bullet Classic and it's being discontinued. I'm going to call UK Motorsports on Long Island to see if they'll do a layaway so I can guarantee myself a new, black Classic. I just hope they'll hold it that long. Otherwise, I might have to wait for this "new" G model that Kevin is titillating us with.

But if it's no good, and the country runs out of Classics, I might have to go Sportster.

Jeff

Jdrouin, I hope they didn't accidentally leave a "u" out of the name of that driving school.  (feeble attempt at sick humor)

There's some things you just learn after 42 years of marriage.  Things like don't go into a quid-pro-quo type negotiation, especially where a motorcycle is concerned.  (more unsolicited advice) Try looking real dejected and depressed for a few days.  Eventually she'll ask what's wrong.  Then you can tell her that the bike of your dreams and the key to your future emotional stability has been discontinued.  And there is only one left over at xyz dealership.  And by the time your dissertation is complete, it'll be gone along with your eternal happieness and mental stability.  Yep, that ought to do it.

Always glad to help a fellow rider.
Fred

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 02:23:32 am
    Jeff, I like my new Bullet very much and its my 22nd motorcycles I've owned over a span of some 46 years of riding. I am still doing the break in and am at about 160 miles. I will let my dealer do the first service/checkup as I usually do with any new motorcycle.
    Many new motorcycles are pretty high tech and high performance too.Many have valves that are shim adjusted and often have four valves per cylinder. Most of these require removing the camshafts to replace the shims when doing the adjustment.Take some of the sports bikes with fairing and you have a big job ahead of you. Though I haven't done a valve adj on my new Bullet yet-I will whenever I need to after the first service. I've read up on doing it and it sounds super easy on the Bullets.
    The Bullets are in no way a "fast" motorcycle, as in super fast acceleration from stop light to stop light.But even doing the break in on my new Classic-on the back roads I'm riding-I'm not holding up traffic, and after 300 miles, I can open it up a little bit more.
    But I'm here to tell you-after all the years of riding and all the bikes I've owned-I am having loads of fun riding this Bullet. With a "thumper" (single cylinder motorcycle) you only have one cylinder to maintain and that means one carb which means never having to synchronize two or more carbs. Also this may be the only motorcycle left that comes with electric AND kick start!! When I started riding most bikes were kick start only. And later when electric starting began appearing they all came with a kick start as a backup. I still believe a motorcycle should have a kick start as a backup.
    Also my gas mileage is already getting better on my Classic. I just topped it off and figured it to be 82.9 US miles per gallon!! I am really looking forward to getting the break in done so I'll be able to putt around at 50 mph on the back roads.
    I chose the Classic for several reasons. One, I prefer the looks of the Classic-though the 65 is a great looking bike too. Also the Classic (and 65) are discontinued due to world wide emissions laws and I just wanted the same bike thats been continuously made for over 50 years.
    I've heard great things about the new models with the AVL engine. If you want a Classic, I think I would see about maybe a layaway on one. I really wanted a brand new one too over a used.

Take care, Jon
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 02:27:08 am by birdmove »
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 02:54:59 am
Thanks for the advice, Fred. Problem is my wife always knows when I'm full of sh&*. She even knows it when *I* don't. Since the Bullet Blunder, I've taken a strong line and have gotten good at putting my foot down, which works probably 51% of the time, so I'm winning!

At least she's not against my getting a bike and actually believes that the Classic is the one for me. So at this point I'll accept it and try not to do any harm.

And birdmove, everything you just said, and I mean everything, is exactly the reason I want an Enfield. I hate driving our car on the highway because it's boring. Much rather be outside, going slow on a back road, so you can see more. Besides, great stories come from walking around, taking the subway (actually the bus is way crazier), and getting your motorcycle license from a school named "Trama's", not from driving at 80 mph on the same road everyone else is hogging.

One thing I believe everyone should do once in their lifetime is to ride a bicycle at 20-25 MPH all the way down Broadway in NYC during evening rush hour -- from Lincoln Center through Columbus Circle, Times Square, Harold Square, Union Square, Broadway/Lafayette and SoHo, by City Hall and over the Brooklyn Bridge into the beautiful South Brooklyn area -- all while avoiding potholes (or not), dodging pedestrians who think you're a mirage, and cabbies who think the bike lane is a passing lane. Try that on an aluminum framed bike with no shocks and your butt will never be the same. Makes for great stories though. Never gets old even though it's my daily commute.

Jeff

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 04:04:25 am
    Jeff, never been to New York City, but my son is attending college at Ithaca College. Couple of years ago my wife and I flew to Syracues, renet a car and drove to Ithaca and stayed at a bed & breakfast and visited him and his school. We drove around Lake Cuyuga and over to Watkins Glen and thought upstate NY was gorgeous.And looks like a great place to ride! My son does get to go to NY City sometimes and go to plays, David Letterman Show, and whatnot.

Take care, Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 01:36:56 pm

Many new motorcycles are pretty high tech and high performance too.Many have valves that are shim adjusted and often have four valves per cylinder. Most of these require removing the camshafts to replace the shims when doing the adjustment.Take some of the sports bikes with fairing and you have a big job ahead of you. Though I haven't done a valve adj on my new Bullet yet-I will whenever I need to after the first service. I've read up on doing it and it sounds super easy on the Bullets.

Jon, you're killing me. I have to do the annual 16 valve feeler gauge routine and 4 carb tune up on the Suzuki in a month or so! The act of setting the valves takes around 15-20 minutes, but getting to them and putting it back together adds another 4 hours to the job. I can do the same adjustment on the Enfield in about 2 minutes. It is much easier to maintain the Bullet but its a different mentality you need when adjusting. Its all about feel and balance whereas with most other modern bikes you just set it it a known clearance or add a certain volume of fluid. Its that change of mentality that causes people to screw things up sometimes. For instance if the oil level is low, they add oil without thinking about why it was full two days ago and empty now. This can lead to overfilling and the problems associated with it. Quite a common thing for new Enfield owners. But overall its an easy bike to own.

Jeff, never think of negotiating with your wife in terms of winning and losing! You'll get very depressed with the end results! They have a knack of winning the war even if you feel you've won a few battles here and there! They also have far better memories for remembering who 'won' and 'lost' over a massive time scale. I gave up a long time ago. Fortunately, my wife is great. As long as I'm not stupid about it and we have money in the bank and the number of bikes in the garage doesn't exceed two (maybe three) I don't get too much grief. She knows its important to me and if I didn't have one, I'd be hanging around the house more, getting in the way! I wasn't going to get a bike until after I passed my riding course, but when I saw a great in the paper for a simple used bike at a good price, we agreed it would make more sense to get it now rather than waiting. I hope you get the Bullet of your dreams and the MSF course goes well, for you and Chuck.

Chuck, I didn't learn to ride a motorcycle until I was about 28 or so. You do have a distinct advantage when your older, than if you learned when you were 16 or 17 or so. A much healthier respect for your own life for a start. Even then though, I made a mistake that cost me a close call with the Grim Reaper and a totalled bike. Happens fast when you least 'expect' it. Proficient Motorcycling is a good book to read. I try and read it every winter before the new season starts up again. It helps keep some things fresh and trigger some things you'd forgotten about. The most dangerous time for new riders isn't necessarily within the first few months of riding. I think it was a year or two after passing your test. Its the time people get a little overconfident and let their guard down. In two years or so, you could have covered many miles and seen many things on your bike, but in real terms you still don't know much of anything. I learned this the hard way, and I'm a pretty careful guy. I rode mostly on weekends at that time. It wasn't until my family life started to get busy and weekends became much more hectic, that I wasn't able to ride much on the weekends anymore so I decided to commute on a bike. That was an eyeopener. My skills have improved more in the last 3 years of commuting than they have in the previous 5 years of weekend riding. You have to be in control and focused all the time. Things happen fast in rush hour, even if you are only doing 40-45 mph. I'm sure you know a great deal of this from your bicycling. Anyway, I'll stop preaching, you sound like you have a good on your shoulders.

Have fun all, spring is coming.
Paul

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 08:17:42 pm
Hey birdmove. Ithaca is gorgeous! (or Gorges, as the tourism slogan goes) It must be a really nice place to study.

I go there most Summers to visit relatives and attend conferences. Part of the reason I want a motorcycle is that the ride up there, out of NYC and dancing along the NJ, PA, and NY state lines, is beautiful. I'd love to make an Enfield ride up there for a week or two an annual ritual.

Nice easy roads and such beautiful country -- why blow through it in a cage if you don't have to?

Jeff

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 11:52:06 pm
Don't start me off.
My Honda VTR has shimmed bucket cam followers. One follower is slightly tapping (at 10,500 miles) in the rear cylinder I think. Being a 996cc V twin means a great deal of care with taking the cam chain pulley off the cam and not losing the timing position. One tooth adrift spells disaster. You have to figure out which one is creating the problem by feeler gauge, dismantle the cam, check that shim size with a digital vernier/micrometer having noted what amount it was out and order a new one. Once in stock from dealer etc etc etc. You get the picture.  ::)

Strangely enough, the girlfriend won't go near that Honda (she's never been on a motorbike in her life) but said she 'might' go on Harry (the Enfield). I fitted a single saddle conversion the next week ha ha  ;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 12:52:16 am
Lotus, thats the exact reason I searched all over for a bike that I liked with hydraulic lifters or screw and locknut valve adjusters. Shims were not in my destiny! At least you only have 8 valves to my 16. Its a once a year thing for me. It gets quicker every time, but sheesh, what a pain. That's 'progress' I guess.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 11:45:36 pm
Hey Jeff, which weekend are you scheduled for? Trama's just called me this morning and i'm scheduled for the weekend of March 14,15, & 16. If your smart (and I know you are), pick up (and read) a copy of "Motorcycling Excellence" put out by MSF. It's highly readable and really gets you with their program. I also highly recomend "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. I'm reading it right now. It contains several lifetimes worth of wisdom. Both of those books were at the B&N on 7th ave.(Park Slope). Also Motorcycle Consumer News is agreat resource for unbiased (by commercial interests, anyway) info. It's available by subscription only. By the way "UK Motorsports" is actually "FormulaOne Motorsports". Really easy to get to. Just take the Southern State Pkwy to the Montauk turnoff. That puts you on the Sunrise Highway. Stay in the service road for two exits. Look for Pond Road. You're there. It shares a parking lot with the HD dealership. When Iwent there a month ago they had eight Enfields on display. Mike the actual Enfield dealer( I think that he rents the space) wasn't there when I stopped in. But I dealt with a real nice guy named Bob Ingber. Talk with him about a layaway ( I did). He was very happy to work with me. The phone # that the RE dealer locator gives is Mike's cell. The actual store # is 631 244 7447. Above all, DON'T PANIC! When your ready, it'll be there. Don't wait to long though ;) Oh, and as for sailing down B'way at rush hour, I think you're NUTS!  :o Take the west side bike path. You'll live longer.  Hey Bandit, funny that you should have mentioned Proficient Motorcycling as I started reading it in the store the other day and could not put it down. The guy really knows how to make complex concepts clear (the physics of steering etc.) Thanks for recomending it anyhow. I expect to re read it on a regular basis. Yeah also, you're right about sophmore complacency being the great enemy. The Hurt Report bears this out. READ THE HURT REPORT. Then read it again.   Fred, how's ol' 65 coming along? Answer soon and leave nothing out. ;D

2017 Triumph T120

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 03:10:51 am
Hey Chuck. Thanks for all the info. Trama's left me a voicemail last weekend saying they'll call in February to schedule me. But since you're already scheduled, I'll call first thing tomorrow morning to see if I can set my dates. And I'll definitely check out the books you recommended.

I went to UK/F1 Motorsports a few months ago, I think in September, as a belated surprise birthday present from my wife. Mike wasn't there at the time but I spoke to Bob, who spent a lot of time with me and was very helpful. Boy did it hurt to walk away from the black 2007 Classic they had at the time! That was the most beautiful thing I'd ever laid eyes on.

The west side bike path is great but roller bladers can be unpredictable. I usually take either the east side bike path, depending on how far up I'm going, or I'll carve some route up the middle of the city. I like to change it up a bit so I just go where my mood is.

Anyway, I have to get back to writing so I can get the bike!

Jeff

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 03:29:34 am
Jeff, your black '07 was there when I was. I sat on it (forgive me). ::) Call Trama tomorrow and give them a nudge. And I'll take my chances with unpredictable rollerbladers; they're much softer than cabbies who'll cut you off every time ;D      Chuck.       

2017 Triumph T120

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 02:14:52 pm
I guess I'm just a weak man.  Right now the 65 is in the garage with its muffler off, header pipe is off and soon the seat and tank will be off. 

The side stand is on and the luggage rack soon will be.  The converter is almost out - need to get more dremmel grinding wheels, bigger jets are in the carb, the PAV stuff is leaving, , , , , and so it goes.

All this and it's only 20 degrees.  It's an illness. some sort of incurable disease.  I'll post pics when it's done.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: January 18, 2008, 08:06:49 pm
Fred, you've got endstage tinkeritus.

2017 Triumph T120

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: January 18, 2008, 08:37:36 pm
Yes I do.  And that's one of the reasons I was attracted to the Bullet.  Endless tinkering.

I found a cap nut for the exhaust pipe PAV air intake at a plumbing store.  It's not chrome but it is Copper and it const 1.25.  Now I'm off to get some cable clamps so I can change how the luggage rack mounts.  Actually, that's after I get finished with cardio-rehab over at the hospital.  Damn, this is fun.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: January 18, 2008, 09:36:42 pm
Fred, Pure ignorance on my part, but why remove the PAV? To quote Mr. Snidal " the PAV is likely having no adverse effect on engine breathing, simply pulsing some fresh air into the exhaust as it is (unless... it brings about backfiring...during periods of throttle-off coasting". Is there an aesthetic or philosophical angle that i'm missing? Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: January 18, 2008, 09:58:30 pm
No snarkiness on my part inteded with last post. It's just that at some point down the road I will face some of same "upgrade" issues. I don't want to do unnessessary work only to risk failing a yearly emmissions inspection.

2017 Triumph T120

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 10:08:10 pm
I think Mr Snidal is probably right Chuck. I believe there were some initial problems with it overheating the exhaust valves, but I never really found anything concrete about it. I think most people remove it to simplify things, same with the CAT in the exhaust pipe. The PAV also tends to "chuff" when you're riding down the road instead of "putt,putt" like its supposed to! Its on my to-do list.

We don't have emission checks in Michigan, so we're free to tinker and remove.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 11:55:57 pm
Yeah Bandit, I haven't actually checked but it's an annual chore for cars here (10 years old or newer I believe). So I just assume... The idea of cutting the bike to it's functional bone IS nice however.   Chuck

2017 Triumph T120

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 10:09:31 am
Fred, Pure ignorance on my part, but why remove the PAV? To quote Mr. Snidal " the PAV is likely having no adverse effect on engine breathing, simply pulsing some fresh air into the exhaust as it is (unless... it brings about backfiring...during periods of throttle-off coasting". Is there an aesthetic or philosophical angle that i'm missing? Chuck.

Snidal may be correct.  But from my point of view, the PAV is powered by vacuum from the intake manifold.  That means it is a potential source of vacuum leak which may result in reduced performance.  Also, all I want happening in the intake manifold and the carb is for a pure pressure differential to exist between the cylinder and the air filter.  I don't want anything else going on in there like using vacuum to power an air pump that I have no use for.

I am fortunate in that we have no emmisions test to worry about.  If I did have to pass an emmisions test every year, I would have left the PAV alone.

So, no there isn't any aesthetic or philosophical thing about this.  For me it's just junk hung on the engine that doesn't belong there, IMO.

BTW, I pulled the tube out of the intake manifold and filled it with JB Weld.  Not gonna leak from there. :) 

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 07:43:01 pm
Hey Fred,  I had'nt thought of that, the vacuum leak that is, thanks for pointing that out. The more that I read, the less I realize that I know. Sorry about the nitwit questions. :)

2017 Triumph T120

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 08:35:38 pm
Not to worry.  I love it when instructors say "There's no such thing as a stupid question."  I always think to myself,  "Man, you haven't heard some of mine yet!"

:)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 09:22:48 pm
This Bullet is the first bike I have ever lightened by way of removing the PAV and replacing the heavy original exhaust system with a lighter one and such things. Normally I'm adding toys to my sports tourers like electronic speedo correctors, heated grips, hazard flasher kits, etc etc
Getting back to basics etc?  ;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 01:47:27 am
I have read the recent posts with interest, since they jell with my thoughts on how to both simplify the bike and to allow the engine to breathe in and out as easily as it can keeping in mind just two constraints - keeping the dust in the air from getting into the engine, and keeping the noise of the exhaust to a civilized level considering the fact that I do not live all by myself. Also, I would be ok to rejet the carb to take care of the higher volume of air that would then move through the system. Which brings me to the final constraint I would like to impose on my tinkering - by doing all of the above, I should not end up exposing a weak link in the system somewhere else that I then have to fix, because that is then an endless road to more tinkering and less riding. I would prefer to then keep the tinkering to keeping everything about the bike in a perfect state of tune. Just my personal philosophy of course, room in the world for as many philosophies as there are Bulleteers!
I have two bikes now - an AVL 500 engine one and cast iron 350. Does anyone in the forum have a recommended list of things that I should fix and how, given the above? Probably be different for each bike, I would appreciate any inputs.
Both the bikes are from recent RE production, so I am pretty sure that they both have all the emission and noise control stuff clogging up the works.
Living in India, I know that anything I do, for the amount of riding I will do, will have no impact on the pollution levels, and I am always careful about how/where I fire up the bike when the rest of the world is sleeping!!

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008, 03:18:51 am
Hi Indian48,

I have already done to my Bullet pretty much what you are describing.  As you can tell the PAV is off and the orifices on the bike are capped off.  The converter is out of the header pipe but the stock muffler is still in place. 

I have yet to replace the air filter or modify it in any way, but I probably will before long.  I just don't want to give up that fine looking chrome box.  I have up jetted the pilot one step and the same for the main jet.  When the stock air filter leaves, I will need to revisit the tuning.

My attitude about this is simply to put the bike back in the condition it was designed to be in before the government decided they knew better than the engine designers.

I understand and respect your concern about exposing a weak link in the system by doing things to improve performance.  My humble opinion, based on very little time with my Bullet is, if you do what it sounds like you want to do - you're bikes will be running as they were originally intended.  So I think the danger of having those mild modifications cause the weak link in the 'chain' to break is almost nonexistent. 

I don't think these engines will respond well to being ridden hard all the time, but I do think they are pretty tough, low output units.  I think these engines will deliver the performance they were designed for, for many years.

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #42 on: January 23, 2008, 06:24:42 am
Fred,

All of what you have written in your most recent post, describes my thinking better than what I could have written it, would be the modest, politically correct thing to say, if I had not posted on similar lines somewhere here a couple of months ago!
With that beating my trumpet out of the way, can you share with me the exact details of all that you have done so far, in a message to me, since the rest of the folks may not want to wade through all of that? I plan to do my tinkering once the bikes have run in and settled down well, so that by that time I will also have gotten to know them a lot better, so I have some time before I start. I would also look to hearing from you the order in which you are restoring the bike to be the way its designers intended it to be, to learn from what you have done/plan to do. Getting my bikes in the state that their Gods intended them to be and then keeping them just so, is my plan for them as long as I am able to enjoy riding them. To also leave enough time, money and energy for the latter part in a country that has riding weather 300 days in a year!
Now for my dumb question - about the PAV unit. If this sits in the path of a vacuum induced fresh air flow into the combustion chamber, in principle how can it reduce emissions at the other end? Unless it does this by basically getting a 500 cc engine to run like a 350, in which case the greener thing to do is buying a 350 in the first place? That is what this seems to me, at a fundamental common sense level. On the other hand, I did say up front that this is a dumb question,,,,!!

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #43 on: January 23, 2008, 06:32:23 am
As soon as I posted my latest and reread some of the preceding posts, I realized what was dumb about the question - so let me ask another - is it that the PAV diverts some of the vaccuum induced airflow and diverts that into the exhaust side to clean up whats coming out of that? If so, is clean up the right word, or is dilute the better word? And if that is the case, isn't it some kind of a con at a fundamental level? Or am I still being stupid here, as is most likely?!

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: January 23, 2008, 12:27:36 pm
The secret to solving pollution is dilution........thats all the PAV does. Injects clean air into an exhaust. Maybe you get additional hydrocarbon burn off as well, but the real key is just getting more clean air in the exhaust. Is it a con? Probably, but it passed the test.

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: January 23, 2008, 03:13:13 pm
hmm,,,,and here I was thinking that emission control is about reducing what is emitted, not just confounding the measurement by diluting the exhaust with fresh air before it hits the measurement point!

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #46 on: January 23, 2008, 04:48:03 pm
Well, I think the new 2008 emission requirements here, but mostly in Europe meant that the iron engine wouldn't pass with PAV at all. Not sure if they're more stringent or if they outlawed practices like PAV but the end result is the same. No more iron engines here. Bummer.

I'll agree that the PAV is kind of cheating, but I'm sure RE didn't want to spend mucho money for a band aid solution on an engine it knew would be phased out.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #47 on: January 23, 2008, 06:15:36 pm
The PAV valve is much like to old dump valves in 1970's autos. When you decelerate the mixture goes rich for a minute and the extra dump of air helps it burn lowering HC. The other IMPORTANT point is the the PAV works in conjunction with the hot  tube at the end of the exhaust pipe. The hot tube is a mini catalytic converter. The extra oxygen put in the pope when the mixture  richens helps the hot tube do it's job. A carburettor and points controlled engine is crudely controlled as opposed to a closed loop fuel injection system which obviates the need for a lot of the add on devices. Of course it has it's emissions.
Four of us from the shop are going to Germany later this week for training on the UCE engine and the FI system, so we will know more when we get back.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: January 29, 2008, 02:44:47 am
I think you will be pleasantly surprised about how many bikers "get" your Enfield.

I did a Cure Autism Now charity ride here in Chicago last year. Close to 1000 bikes,  about 90% of which were Harley's. I got nothing but compliments about the Enfield.

When I ride to the office I get tons of questions and the occasional Indian cab driver reminiscing. I has a guy walking his dog come over to talk to me when I was working on it behind my condo building one day.

The classic look just seems to be appreciated by everybody.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175