Author Topic: '06 "65" is now in my garage  (Read 16912 times)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
on: January 11, 2008, 11:44:12 pm
I picked up my 65 yesterday, 40 degrees and rainy.  Rode it 60 miles to the house.  Got kind of cold and wet.  But that's OK, the frostbite isn't too bad.  I didn't use all those toes anyway.

I blew off an appointment to spend time adjusting, oiling, polishing and riding my new baby.  OCD can be lots of fun!

So here's my first impressions of the bike.

It isn't a rocket taking off but it is adequate.  It is capable of some decent speed but doesn't want to be pressed too hard about it.  A 6.5:1 compression ratio is really low and makes for lazy, torquey, and very fun ride.

Most bikers won't get it.  It runs pretty well for what it is.  But that's not what it's all about.  This machine is about sound, feel, posture, good vibrations, karma, and fun - loads of fun.  It has its own pace and its own way of doing things.  What is a precise measurement on most machines is just an approximation on this one.  It is truly a machine to have a relationship with.

Why am I saying all this to you guys?  You all know this stuff.  You don't need to hear another RE noobie blathering and slobbering on about the bike you already know. 

Well, I'm sorry but the Bullet is sort of a mystical thing and I have to tell someone, so you're it.

Also, I am ever so happy and proud to be a Bullet rider.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 11:55:21 pm
Go ahead and blather, we still love hearing it.

Your new RE may seem slow, and it will never be a fast bike, but as it breakis in, it will get more and more willing.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:57:56 pm
I should have read the post more carefully, as an 06, it probably already is broke in. Still, it is really easy to make it go faster.

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:58:11 pm
I'd say you have the perfect attitude toward the bike and will have a good relationship with it. Enjoy.

You're right, most bikers don't get it, but that's part of the charm. As long as you realize it isn't nor will it ever be a Honda, you'll be blissfully happy, polishing, fixing, riding, improving, or undoing the mandated "improvements" it already has.

I don't think anyone here minds a newbie 'blathering'. It reminds us why we got one in the first place.
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 12:47:56 am
Congrats. Posts some pictures when you can.

BTW, ?OCD?

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 01:30:11 am
Blather away Fred! Until I can get my hands on mine I have to live vicariously through you. So keep all of those boring details coming. ;D Congrats and best of luck.  Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 02:19:31 am
Thumper - I believe he means Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Chuck - What do you have coming?

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 03:01:15 am
Bandit, I've got an '06 sixty five on a layaway at UK Motorsports on Long Island(N.Y). I'm almost halfway there. Another two months oughta do it. Oh, it's magic black. Man am i jazzed about this, you don't know. Well maybe you do. ;)

2017 Triumph T120

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 03:14:24 am
Hey guys, I have a black deluxe,2007, but I was really tempted buy a red sixty-five. Just a question, what is magic black?

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 03:16:47 am
Oh, I know how you feel Chuck. I thought about it and saved and thought about it and eventually caved in and bought mine last year. You won't be disappointed. Its like nothing else you've ever ridden. Mine is the olive military version. Bootiful.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 03:34:36 am
    The 65s are a beautiful looking motorcycle-thats for sure. But my 2007 Classic won me over by a nose.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 03:49:26 am
Jon, magic black is a deep, deep green metallic. You can see one in photo gallery. It's the one with the two red car horns. And by the way,Bandit, it will be my first bike, so nothing to compare it to. Yet. ;D   chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 01:52:57 pm
You're right Bandit.  Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is what it's all about.

Example:
I haven't polished allow in many years.  I sat down with Mothers Mag and Chrome Cleaner and a good rag (it's OK, she has other bath towels) and commenced polishing.  It was an almost religous experience.  Chrome will never look as classy as polished alloy.

Then I adjusted the clutch cable as it was too tight.  Probably by as much as .005"

Setting up the dual leading shoe front brake was a hoot.  Lots of attempts, with some fair results at the end.

Had to move the rear brake lever down a bit.  So adjusted that and changed the hole for the brake light switch spring.

Over filled the oil tank so I had to siphon some of the oil back out to get the correct level.

About this time I realized it was 7:30 PM, dark and cold, so I gave it up for the day.  One hot shower and some comfort food later and I fine.

These bikes are such fun to tinker with. 

The Classic was the bike that first captured my interest.  But the red 65 spoke to me.  I'll post some pics when I get some of the necessary accessories put on it.  Anybody know of a good, reasonably priced windshield for these things?  I like the Style 3 shield CMW has but it's way too expensive, IMO.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

indian48

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 03:24:37 pm
Like some other things I can think of, the first time is special!!! But I am looking forward just as much to my second Bullet, due next week, because this one will be with an iron 350 cc engine, my first bike bought in October is the AVL 500 cc version.
And it such fun to hear other's first times too! All of us know OCD just as well, but it is still good to know that there are fellow maniacs across the whole world who are just as afflicted!!!
If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing well

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 01:07:25 am

And it such fun to hear other's first times too! All of us know OCD just as well, but it is still good to know that there are fellow maniacs across the whole world who are just as afflicted!!!

You got that right! This forum is full of maniac Bullet owners with OCD!

Fredgold52, tinker and have much fun. Its good for the soul.

Chuck, if this your first bike then it really will be like nothing else you've ever ridden! Be careful and take it easy. There is a steep learning curve to riding!