Author Topic: No more warming up the chain!  (Read 6787 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: September 29, 2010, 03:01:51 am
Every can of chain lube says the same thing: "Take a short ride to warm up the chain."  Well that warms up the muffler too and since they live next door I burn myself every freakin' time I go to lube the chain.  From now on I'm lubing it cold, and if I lose a few thousand miles off the chain life so be it.  I've had enough!

</rant>

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 03:27:26 am
In what manner are you burning yourself?  Could you use gloves to avoid the burn?  Maybe I'm not doing it correctly, but I spray from the back, on the left side of the bike, avoiding the hot torpedo back there. 

Hey, are you supposed to adjust the chain when it is warm, too?  That would be a burner for sure.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 03:29:14 am
On my AVL Bullet, the chain and exhaust are opposite.  I hear the exhaust is hot enough to light a cigar. Be careful out there.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 04:50:56 am
Maybe I'm not doing it correctly, but I spray from the back, on the left side of the bike, avoiding the hot torpedo back there. 

What he said!  I use Molyslip liquid grease and spray from the rear.  On the centrestand the rear wheel spins freel, so it's easy-peasy.  It might be the one issue I DON'T have with the C5.  Chain lubing is effortless.

Adjustments, on the other hand...
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 05:26:06 am
Technically, you don't want to lube the outside run of the chain, you want to lube the inside run of the chain.  That said, the best places to get at it without getting stray lube all over the bike or the ground are the rear at the lower half of the sprocket or along the bottom run.  Both are close to the muffler and I burn myself every time.

And don't be so serious.  I am going to give up lubing it when it's hot but this was supposed to be more entertainment than any serious plea for help. ;)

On my AVL Bullet, the chain and exhaust are opposite.  I hear the exhaust is hot enough to light a cigar. Be careful out there.

You old school RE guys have it just right. ;)  Can't really complain though, I really dig the bike.  An yes, they get wicked hot.  I still have 3rd degree burn scars from 26 years ago where my arm hit the header pipe of my dirt bike.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 08:57:55 am
Not long after I got my G5 I was down on my haunches checking the oil level after a long ride. Lost my balance and grabbed out instinctively.  I can confirm that the downpipe of the G5 is HOT. I kept my hand under cold running water for full fifteen minutes, which probably prevented serious burn damage. But it was a mess for a while, although useable.
I too lube the chain cold. I was taught to aim the lube along each edge so it gets straight to the pins. Easy with today's lube dispensers. Works for me.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

zentrax

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:35:06 am
Dont worry scotty, it was a good little laugh when i read it  ;D Do you have the upswept muffler? From what i have read on here, it makes chain adjustment a real mongrel cos of where it passes.......wouldnt make chain lubing any easier i spose  :)
Nothing is inexplicable.........only the unexplained......

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 07:04:12 pm
I do it like Andy, put it up on the center stand, first gear at idle and spray from the rear.  No burned fingers here, and I just rest the front wheel in the corner of the garage so that it couldn't go anywhere even if it came off the center stand.
TFM

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 07:16:11 pm
I do it like Andy, put it up on the center stand, first gear at idle and spray from the rear. 

Saw a post a while ago of a guy who used to do it that way.  It included pics of his severed fingers and the re-attachment procedure from when he slipped.  No thanks.

I think the upswept muffler would help with lubing but it needs to be removed to adjust the chain according to a recent post.  I'll just lube when cold from now on and call it a day.  My lube is super thin anyway, I'm sure it's getting where it needs to go.

Scott

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 08:50:42 pm
Saw a post a while ago of a guy who used to do it that way.  It included pics of his severed fingers and the re-attachment procedure from when he slipped.  No thanks.

How's that even possible?  ???

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 09:01:32 pm
You read the instructions on a spray can? :D
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 09:04:24 pm
Kneeling next to the bike on the side stand with it in first and running, slip, fingers into the sprocket :(  Even at idle there's significant momentum/energy in the wheel and engine spinning.  I doubt gnashing a few fingers off in the chain even makes the idle stumble.

You can convince yourself that whatever technique of kneeling and spraying you're using makes this impossible, but not as impossible as if it's not spinning under the engine's power in the first place.

Scott

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 09:12:01 pm
LOL

Okay I'm safe.  I do it old-school and rotate the wheel by hand. 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 10:14:12 pm
Think about it next time as it's spinning just under hand power, would you stick your hand in there?  I woudn't.  That back wheel has more momentum than you think.

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 10:51:46 pm
I got my hand ran through a pulley in a saw mill once, I'm real glad it was belt driven and not a chain, broke all my fingers but I've still got them. It was not running at the time, I was greasing a bearing block and some one turned the blade by hand. :P
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association