Author Topic: 350 Clipper takes 1st and 2nd at Cadwell  (Read 2235 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 28, 2010, 08:12:11 pm
Hi all,
 After a very shaky start to Saturday, with the ignition rotor coming loose on the 500 in practice, causing it to stop after less than one lap, the 350 which didn't go out in practice, due to the potentially fragile nature of the hastilly built engine went out in its' first race only to retire with misfiring above 5000 rpm. New plugs didn't help until I shut the gaps right down [coils getting tired, I think]. Her second race of the day was very successful, rider 'Henchy' passing and beating current and many times champion Graham Buller on his very fast Manx to second place behind Tim Jackson [Manx]. Tim has beaten Barry Sheene and Wayne Gardner on several occasions, so is no slouch!. The 350 beat four Manx, two Goldies and various other machines including Velos and some Ducatis that set off 10 seconds earlier in their own race!
 The 500 took  7th and 5th places in a large field of top class machines, we didn't get the gearing quite right, but not bad in any case.
 Steve Cotrell's crusader took a 3rd and a 2nd place, only beaten by a very quick Rudge [Mervyn Stratford] and once, also by a Greeves.
 Sunday was blighted by torrential rain and an early fuel spill which halted racing for several hours while cleaning up operations were underway.
 First out after the all clear was the 350, which took its' first victory at this venue. However, Henchy was not smiling when he came in, declaring it was treacherous out there and that was his racing over for the weekend. as we left we saw one of the other guys pushing his smashed up Bantam back to the paddock.
 So, a mixed bag, with plenty of drama, but all three machines and their rider survived intact. The 350 didn't blow up after all. Fingers crossed for this motor, but another, tougher one is taking shape, just in case!
 B.W.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:01:53 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:47:03 pm
Super results!
I love it!

Very stiff competition, and excellent finishes.
That's great racing!
Congratulations to you and your teams.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 09:31:53 pm
Congratulation fro me too! Very nice to hear from your victory in tough conditions. Beating Graham Buller in the first race is, however, even more outstanding, although that was "only" the second place. Remarkable little Bullet, this one of yours, underway with a worthy chauffeur  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 12:08:08 am
CONGRADULATIONS!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 05:03:21 pm
That speaks volumes about your riders ability. There was a saying, "In road racing, If you can't go fast with 100 hp, 500 isn't going to help". I think it applies here, the numbers are just smaller. good show. Henchy, must quite a racer.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:15:30 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 06:22:17 pm
Man, I wish I could see this stuff all unfold.  Thanks for posting the news and results.  Congrats on the good fortune and please keep the news (and pics!) coming.

Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM