Author Topic: Probably Shouldn't Ask This, But  (Read 9271 times)

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 12:27:47 pm
Fredgold - although your bike may be ready to be sold to its new owner, it's only been assembled.  It isnt actually finished yet.  You have to finish the build yourself by careful running-in.  Ride it for 1,000 miles and then you'll be able to get an idea of what kind of bike you've got.  After 1,000 miles your bike will be smoother, more responsive and (slightly!) faster than it is now.  You'll also be more familiar with it.  I think that's the time to start thinking about improvements.

All I did was fit a shorter, less restrictive silencer and adjust the jetting to suit.  I then rode it for another 1,000 miles to complete the running-in and that was it.  I never felt the need to do anything else as to my mind the bike's running was just perfect.  After that I only fitted a different saddle and a more old-fashioned looking horn.

Good luck with the bike and enjoy the guaranteed fun that comes with it.

Tom

One cylinder is enough for anyone.

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 05:32:13 pm
Darn Fred, that is one lousy dealer. You should post his name so no one has to go in and find out the hard way. He'd fit right in up here selling the big four Jap bikes. All our local dealers as far as I can tell are crooks with dealer licences.

Well, it sounds like a warranty repair isn't a major concern of yours! It isn't really a major concern of mine either. I figure I have to work on it when the warranty expires anyway, so why not learn now. Mine has a cylinder head leak, fork seal leak, burned out headlight and the front brakes aren't quite right. The dealer offered to do it all, but I settled for him buying the parts and me doing the greasy work. Thats ok with me. While I'm at it the PAV and crankcase breather systems are going away, and I'm fitting a bigger sprocket, new exhaust and tweaking the jetting to richen the old girl up a tad. I think there are some other minor things as well, but I forget. Tinkering is fun, what can I say.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun with your OCD!
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 06:46:48 pm
Yep, he is pretty bad.  You're right, warranty repairs aren't high on my list.  I bought my Stella scooter the same way from the dealer in Minnesota.  He is a top dealer, but I'm not taking the scooter back up there for something I can do in my garage.

The scooter is ancient Vespa technology so it goes right along with hte Bullet.  I find myself actually bragging about not having rollers in my big end bearing.  Bushings are much cooler.

I've decided I'm going to remove the converter, leave the muffler alone, upjet the low speed jet one step and the main by 2 steps for starters and install a fuel filter.  I may replace the carb manifold rubber while its apart just to eliminate a future problem possibility.  That may well be all I ever do to increase the speed of this bike.  I love riding it just as it is.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

deejay

Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 06:29:05 pm
I removed my cat by using a hole saw (for a drill) I forget which size i used, took about 3 minutes to get through it. I've since upgraded to the british exhaust system.

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 06:58:37 pm
Having finally gotten the converter out of mine I can say without question, a hole saw like you used is the answer.  The welds holding the thing in there are pretty good and took a fair amount of grinding.

All I have done so far is to remove the PAV and the converter, and do a slight upjet on the main and pilot.  Nothing radical.  The bike runs very well.  I am super pleased with how it runs. 

When I break in an engine (I've done it many times on a wide variety of bikes) my main concern is heat.  Heat is the enemy.  That's true for both two and four stroke engine, whether running on the salt flats or plonking around getting groceries.

If the engine acts, feels or smells like it's getting hot, I stop and let it cool down.  Since the warmest temperature we have had since I got the bike is 40, and that was the day I picked it up, there really hasn't been any problem with heat.  The engine runs happily at a variety of speeds.  My plan is to have the first 1000 miles on it before Spring gets here.

mike704

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 01:48:27 pm
I removed the muffler after about 1500 miles, and replaced it with a straight pipe. It sounded great. I ended up putting a harley style baffel in the pipe to keep flames from shooting out the back. It still sounds loud, deep, and mean
2007 Military (My only vehicle)

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 02:23:19 pm
Mike, I bet that sounds great.  I know I would like to do that also, but if I did, "She who runs the house" would have me sleeping in the garage.

BTW, did you do anything with your jetting to accomodate the pipe?