Author Topic: EFI Silencer vs Upswept Muffler  (Read 30178 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
on: September 25, 2010, 04:12:13 am
Tomorrow I plan to test ride the C5 with the cool-looking upswept muffler.  It costs $300 from the dealer (only).  Installation would cost about $90 at my shop here in Seattle.

The EFI silencer in the Nfieldgear catalog lists for $150.

Does anyone here know how they compare in loudness and in fit and finish?
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 12:40:16 pm
While I love the look of the upswept, I only ran it for a few months. To me it was too loud and blatty. It never had the sound I wanted so now I'm back to running a Electra muffler that looks and sounds great. I don't know about he EFI silencer but it's very much like what I have, I think it's English made so the quality would be better.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 02:11:47 pm
I have the upswept now and don't find it to be offensive at all....that said, I wouldn't pay $90 to have it installed.  it is SOOOOOO easy to do yourself.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 02:31:25 pm
@r80rt I would say that straight silencer looks much better than the upswept, and perhaps sounds good too. Where did you source this from.

bradey.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 02:58:48 pm
I got it from dealer here in Arkansas. I wasn't really looking for one, but he had a great deal on it because the guy that ordered it never picked it up. It has a good deep thump that I like.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 03:29:16 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 06:33:05 pm
r80rt, did the Electra muffler fit right on?  It doesn't mention being a fit for the C5/G5 but I could see where it would be fine.  As long as the pipe is the same diameter and the hanger bracket is in the same spot what's not to fit?  Oh, and it looks a little shorter than the EFI silencer.

I have to say, I kinda like the look of the stock bazooka.  It reminds me of either an old model or old picture of a bike I saw with a huge, long muffler.  I also like the cat, green is good, but I wouldn't be opposed to it growling a little more.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 06:43:59 pm
r80rt, did the Electra muffler fit right on?  It doesn't mention being a fit for the C5/G5 but I could see where it would be fine.  As long as the pipe is the same diameter and the hanger bracket is in the same spot what's not to fit?  Oh, and it looks a little shorter than the EFI silencer.

I have to say, I kinda like the look of the stock bazooka.  It reminds me of either an old model or old picture of a bike I saw with a huge, long muffler.  I also like the cat, green is good, but I wouldn't be opposed to it growling a little more.

Scott

+1

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 07:47:19 pm
I made a shim out of a piece of old antenna pole to take up the difference in pipe sizes, and I had to drill a hole 3/4 on an inch lower in the rear bracket, other than that it was pretty easy, I also used a universal heat shield to cover the joint. it's a little louder than stock and thumps nicely, and the performance increase is noticeable.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:03:55 pm by r80rt »
Iron Butt Association

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 08:17:08 pm
The short british silencer for the C5 is identical to tho one fitting on the G5. I decribed the installment here: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,8458.0.html

I´m very satisfied with both sound and look. When fastening the screws and nuts, however, toothed washers should be used, otherwise they will vibrate off.
For 300 USD for the upsweep silencer you should awaite a flawless item with eternal life. For 90 USD for the installment a Thai massage should be included  ;D
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 11:57:11 pm
At least you'd get a happy ending
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 11:59:52 pm
At least you'd get a happy ending
Bada...... bump..... bump...... ching.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 11:59:32 pm
Wow, dont pay $90 to get it installed. Its very easy, assuming it was actually made for the bike, not like the megaphone I got from nfield. I have the EFI and it required minor modification to fit (which in my experience is normal for RE parts).

Roger

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 04:45:18 am
It looks to me that r80rt's muffler is very period correct.  I was looking at some old RE pics and came across this 1956 Clipper.

http://www.royal-enfield.net/old_bullets/1940-1959/1956_250_Clipper.jpg

Looks like a C5 to me.
2017 Bullet
2007 Ural Patrol - the 'trol

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 05:28:04 am
Wow, dont pay $90 to get it installed. Its very easy, assuming it was actually made for the bike, not like the megaphone I got from nfield. I have the EFI and it required minor modification to fit (which in my experience is normal for RE parts).

Yeah, I agree with you.  Thanks! 

When I bought the pillion I was told that the shop had a devil of a time getting the demo pillion on the red C5.  So I knew it wouldn't be a bolt on job.  Probably took 45 minutes.  So I'll tackle the Upswept job myself and be patient with the time it takes. 

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 05:56:36 am
It looks to me that r80rt's muffler is very period correct.  I was looking at some old RE pics and came across this 1956 Clipper.

http://www.royal-enfield.net/old_bullets/1940-1959/1956_250_Clipper.jpg

Looks like a C5 to me.
Yea, looks like r80rt's C-5. ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.