Author Topic: EFI Silencer vs Upswept Muffler  (Read 30197 times)

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 04:02:22 pm
Prof,
I am pretty sure you cannot adjust the idle.  The fuel injection module controls it.

-Quinn
Any other Enfields in New England?

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 07:15:02 pm
You adjust the idle by the large inset brass screw at back of the throttle housing. You'll need an angled screwdriver, and it only takes a very slight turn to adjust. Idle speed tends to increase as the engine gets run in and loosened up. Less than a quarter turn put mine right and steady after a couple of thousand miles.
Backfiring on after market exhausts is normal and doesn't necessarily signify a leak. And yes, it revs higher and easier without that gawd awful stock torpedo tube of a silencer blocking up the works.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:18:04 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 12:12:26 am
Thanks for the info on lowering the idle.  At 800 miles the idle is definitely higher than it is supposed to be. 

Back to the muffler:  When I mentioned to the service boss that the headpipe nuts were loose when I went to install the upswept muffler, he said I should bring the bike in and let them go over it all carefully to make sure all the fasteners are correctly tight.  He also said they would get any leaks at the head stopped.  Nice. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 12:56:53 am
WillW,
Thank you for correctin me on the idle adjustment,  exactly what are you adjusting? I know, a brass screw  :D, I mean what does that brass screw control?  How does that feed back to the fuel injection to keep the mixture right?

-Quinn

-

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #34 on: November 02, 2010, 08:13:34 am
prof_stack,

I look forward to hearing your bikes bark at the spring get together  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #35 on: November 02, 2010, 08:45:43 am
Quinn,
The brass screw is an air by-pass screw and is the only way to adjust the idle. You can loosen the clamps on the throttle body and rotate to access, and adjust with engine running, but easy enough to leave it in place and use a long or angled screwdriver. Clockwise to decrease idle speed - one quarter turn will reduce by about 200rpm. "Do NOT adjust the throttle stop screw on the side of the throttle body unless you are using the factory software to calibrate the base throttle opening."
This from the workshop manual.
Electronics & injectors is all just magic to me.....  ??? ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: November 02, 2010, 05:12:09 pm
So it controls the idle by choking back some air.  Hmm.  OK.  Thanks.  I was not aware of that.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010, 06:18:22 pm
Quinn,
The brass screw is an air by-pass screw and is the only way to adjust the idle. You can loosen the clamps on the throttle body and rotate to access, and adjust with engine running, but easy enough to leave it in place and use a long or angled screwdriver. Clockwise to decrease idle speed - one quarter turn will reduce by about 200rpm. "Do NOT adjust the throttle stop screw on the side of the throttle body unless you are using the factory software to calibrate the base throttle opening."
This from the workshop manual.
Electronics & injectors is all just magic to me.....  ??? ;)

Thanks for the info.  My scooter has 900 mi and the idle was a little fast so I adjusted it with the throttle stop screw, it seems to run just fine.  After reading your post I have located the brass screw and will try it next time.   
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

perri

• Scooter
  • Italy
Reply #38 on: November 02, 2010, 07:00:37 pm
c5 2009 italy

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 01:43:53 am
Thank you perri!  Good Post, good pictures too!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 02:49:55 am
Will, thanks for explaining.  I had heard that was how to adjust the idle but was curious since so much is set with computer on EFI.  I should have guessed it was the air bypass screw, it's the only thing you don't need a computer for!

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: November 03, 2010, 04:16:11 am
Where is the idle adjustment screw?  I need to lower the idle.  Thanks.
Prof:

I had made a short video several months back on idle adjustment - it is on youtube.  As Will has written in his post, it is an idle air by-pass screw.  Only a slight rotation is needed to change the idle.

The brass screw can be rotated with a LONG flat screw driver - without the need of an angled screw driver.  Keeping the idle on the high side has some benefits.  Do you have a tachometer ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w51XKoubABI
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:48:53 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #42 on: November 03, 2010, 04:35:44 am
Prof:

I had made a short video several months back on idle adjustment - it is on youtube.  Never mind the title (which says TPS on it, but as Will has written it is only an air by-pass screw).

The brass screw can be rotated with a LONG flat screw driver - without the need of an angled screw driver.  Keeping the idle on the high side has some benefits.  Do you have a tachometer ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w51XKoubABI

Oh yeah, that is perfect!   THANK YOU!!  Where can I get a portable tachometer?  What does it plug into (besides being grounded on the fins)? 

It's time to spend more $ on the C5. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 05:01:45 am
Oh yeah, that is perfect!   THANK YOU!!  Where can I get a portable tachometer?  What does it plug into (besides being grounded on the fins)?  

It's time to spend more $ on the C5.  

I had bought it from a company called Design Technology Inc, of Illinois.  They make hand held Tiny Tach and other tachometers.  Mine is TT20K tech tach.  Although it is supposed to pick up pulses when pointed towards the spark plug, but that did not work for me.  

I had one lead of tachometer clamped to the cable from the ignition coil and the other grounded to engine and it worked fine.  Perhaps if the lead of tachometer is wrapped around the spark plug cable, it may work too.

The advantage is that you don't need to connect direct to crank or open up engine.

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:08:44 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5