Author Topic: EFI Silencer vs Upswept Muffler  (Read 30184 times)

Rusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 09:11:06 am
I’ve tried both the short silencer and the upswept curly one (both RE accessories supplied by the UK importer), the latter is currently fitted. Fitting both was easy.

In terms of noise and looks I prefer the short straight one, it retains the original heat shield and doesn’t affect access to the chain adjusters. The sound is nice and deep but it blued badly and caused a loud backfire. I could either exchange it for another or swap it for the upswept silencer, I swapped it.

The upswept one doesn’t backfire and hasn’t blued yet but it is louder and the sound is more blat than thump, a bit like a big jap single. It also gets in the way of the rear wheel nuts so it’ll have to come off for chain adjustment.

All things considered I wish I’d exchanged the shortie and tried to sort out the backfiring. I checked everywhere for air leaks but couldn’t find any so not sure what else I could have done.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 09:27:19 pm
Yup, there's definately some hooligan rocker in that upswept sound  ;) ....not as much as a Goldie though!

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 12:52:23 am
Today I tested the C5 demo at Royal Enfield Seattle (aka Ducati Seattle) with the upswept muffler.  It really brought out a more traditional THUMP sound that one hears when an older big-single goes by.  It wasn't as loud as I thought it would be when I was on the road, doing about 40 mph.  With ear plugs on it would probably be pretty mellow. 

I couldn't feel that much difference in power output from the stock torpedo.  But the demo only has 200 miles on it and I didn't want to thrash it around. 

BIG BONUS today was meeting Eamon (in Seattle) and his Electra-X riding brother (my old brain thinks his name is Kevin, but I could be wrong ... sorry).  Eamon had his iron barrel there, too.  I wish I had my camera to capture a Three-Gen photo.  Next time for sure!
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 04:03:36 am
After a great sunny day 70-mile ride today on my C5, I stopped at the Seattle dealer and ordered the upswept muffler.  I like the sound and the looks.  Any advice for a "fool" proof install will be appreciated!   :D

FWIW,
Royal Enfield Seattle (aka Ducati Seattle) is now an island of sorts since the city started a 3-year project to alleviate traffic woes from the I-5 freeway to the Seattle Center (think Space Needle).  There's also sewer work to, in part, pave the way for the new Google and Microsoft buildings there.  The only way to the shop is in the back alley after going by a street closed sign and then into their garage down the ramp.  It was a ghost town there yesterday and today.  

Hobgoblin

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 05:10:47 am
My dealer was kind enough to let me "audition" both of the C5 / G5 silencers in the nfieldgear catalog (i.e., the EFI Silencer and the Megaphone Silencer) before I took delivery of my G5 Deluxe. The stock silencer was too sedate for my taste, the megaphone silencer, with no baffling whatsoever, was too loud and the EFI Silencer with some baffling was just right. He also ground off the bracket on the end of the header pipe so I could slide the muffler farther forward and eliminate the heat shield for a cleaner look. After 200 miles of riding, I'm very pleased with the results.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 06:47:54 pm
Now that my EFI has broken in a bit (450 miles), I like it too. When I first installed it, it was too quiet, but now its nice. Not as loud as the megaphones I had on there (RE and emgo) and not nearly as quiet as stock.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 12:39:32 am
BIG BONUS today was meeting Eamon (in Seattle) and his Electra-X riding brother (my old brain thinks his name is Kevin, but I could be wrong ... sorry).  Eamon had his iron barrel there, too.  I wish I had my camera to capture a Three-Gen photo.  Next time for sure!

Dang, I missed this earlier.  It was great meeting you as well!  Hopefully we can get some Enfields together again before too long.  It was fun seeing my iron barrel Deluxe, Kevin's AVL Electra, and your C5 all in a row.  Kind of like a family portrait!

Eamon

ps - maybe we'll see you at Backfire one of these days?  Actually, i think this month's one is tonight!
Eamon

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 03:32:00 am
Dang, I missed this earlier.  It was great meeting you as well!  Hopefully we can get some Enfields together again before too long.  It was fun seeing my iron barrel Deluxe, Kevin's AVL Electra, and your C5 all in a row.  Kind of like a family portrait!

Eamon

ps - maybe we'll see you at Backfire one of these days?  Actually, i think this month's one is tonight!

Dang, sorry I didn't know about the meeting (in Ballard, right?).  I'll get on their mail list or find out when the events are.  Dry cool weather tonight would have been a fun but short run.  I put some Klotz synth oil in on Sunday (bought it from Nfieldgear) and a new filter (said Purolator on the end of it, it did).  Looking forward to the new muffler.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 06:28:28 am
Dang, sorry I didn't know about the meeting (in Ballard, right?).  I'll get on their mail list or find out when the events are.  Dry cool weather tonight would have been a fun but short run.  I put some Klotz synth oil in on Sunday (bought it from Nfieldgear) and a new filter (said Purolator on the end of it, it did).  Looking forward to the new muffler.

Yeah, it's at The Shelter and the 2 Bit in Ballard (ususally the 3rd Thursday of every month).  My brother Kevin and I stopped by for a while and had the good fortune to run into Gerry and Brad (aka 500KSGerry and Blltrdr).  Nice seeing both of them and BS'ing about bikes etc.  Both of their bikes are looking cool, by the way.  I'm looking forward to seeing (and hearing) your bike with the new exhaust!

Eamon
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:30:53 am by Eamon »
Eamon

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 05:19:45 pm
After a great sunny day 70-mile ride today on my C5, I stopped at the Seattle dealer and ordered the upswept muffler.  I like the sound and the looks.  Any advice for a "fool" proof install will be appreciated!   :D

FWIW,
Royal Enfield Seattle (aka Ducati Seattle) is now an island of sorts since the city started a 3-year project to alleviate traffic woes from the I-5 freeway to the Seattle Center (think Space Needle).  There's also sewer work to, in part, pave the way for the new Google and Microsoft buildings there.  The only way to the shop is in the back alley after going by a street closed sign and then into their garage down the ramp.  It was a ghost town there yesterday and today.  

My install was pretty straightforward.  There are only 2 mounting points. Only issue was there is a spot on the rear bracket where it has to clear a bolt head on the frame.  The mount "looks" like there is a cutout which "should" line up and help it clear, but on mine it didn't.Really odd.  It took some wiggling aroind to get it where I could lock down the rear mount, and that bolt head never did fit into that cutout. Easy otherwise.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 11:47:30 pm
Today the upswept exhaust got installed.  I had to drive to the dealer (2 miles) to check out their installation to make sure I didn't goof up.

The big difference between the attachment points is the upswept exhaust goes on the OUTside of the passenger footpeg bracket rather than inside.  The second attachment point was interesting in that the prewelded nut on the exhaust was not square with the bracket, so the screw had to go in at an angle. 

What took the longest was getting the heat shield bracket attached since its bolted nut was even more cockeyed.  After doing the rear pillion install, I pretty much expected this type of finishing glitches.  But its on (see photo) and completes the look of the C5, IMHO of course. 

In doing the install I found that the head bolts to the exhaust port were loose, sigh.  But that helped with the wiggle of getting the pieces on and tightened.  But I do have a question:  Look at the second photo of the lower bolt.  Does it appear the plate that the bolt secures is angled correctly?  When I started the bike, I could feel a small amount of air coming from the area around there and I wonder if there is a tightening procedure that should be followed.

Any help is most appreciated.  Thanks.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 05:21:47 am
Not sure about the alignment but it sure looks really good to me.  Thanks for providing the pictures.  I just wonder how the sound compares to the short EFI silencer. 
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 11:56:33 am
If there´s an air leak you should tighten the bolts. Carefully and evenly left and right. Before you do that, however, it´s probably a good idea to drive a couple of kilometers to allow the parts wobbling together to avoid restraint.
Unfortunately the photo doesn´t allow a statement about the correct angle, but usually the gasket is flexible enough to forgive smaller inaccuracies.
The silencer looks nice btw!
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 02:51:29 am
If there´s an air leak you should tighten the bolts. Carefully and evenly left and right. Before you do that, however, it´s probably a good idea to drive a couple of kilometers to allow the parts wobbling together to avoid restraint.
Unfortunately the photo doesn´t allow a statement about the correct angle, but usually the gasket is flexible enough to forgive smaller inaccuracies.
The silencer looks nice btw!

Thanks!  When Seattle weather changes from very wet to somewhat dry I will get out and ride to test it.

The weight loss changing from the stock torpedo to the upswept was not as much as I thought it would be.  It was about 6 pounds in total.  I think the EFI Silencer is lighter still (at half the price it should be).

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 04:04:01 am
Seattle's weather dried out enough to get and put 20 miles on the C5 with new muffler.

I like the sound, it's not THAT loud, but there definitely is BACKFIRING at times upon deceleration.  I wonder if an improperly tightened headpipe allowing air out there has much effect.  I don't like the extra gas fumes that this non CC pipe puts out.

The muffler is set wider than the stock one and the lack of a longer heat shield put the first blem on it when the ballistic pant went against it.  Luckily I got it off before the pipe went cold,so it looks fine and new again.

It does seem more willing to rev higher with the new muffler.  Perhaps getting the upcoming low-restriction air filter will complete the package.

Where is the idle adjustment screw?  I need to lower the idle.  Thanks.