Author Topic: C5 swing arm bushes  (Read 2874 times)

Ricey Thunderhide

• Scooter
on: September 22, 2010, 12:45:52 pm
I have heard that the swing arm bushes on the C5 are a weak point on this model. Can anyone tell me the tell tale signs and what to look out for? The reason I ask is that my C5 can be a little schizophrenic in it's handling. One day it is assured and handles like a dream, while another it feels like it's broken in half and instills fear when going around corners. I am wondering if potholes and corners could cause cracked bushes to move a little and alter the geometry of the frame, then further potholes shuffle it back into place? It may sound a little fanciful, but something is not right with it. I'd appreciate it if anyone with more knowledge than me (i.e. anyone reading this) can offer any ideas?

Thanks

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:26:14 pm by Ricey Thunderhide »

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 01:41:23 pm
There have been reports of failure within a couple of thousand miles but most of us seem to be doing OK. The tell tale sign would be play in the swing arm, simple as that. I'm no engineer but I would be pretty sure that once it existed it would be permanent. If the handling varies maybe it's external such as sidewinds or, if bike related, tyre pressures or wheel alignment. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 03:47:18 pm
I have heard that the swing arm bushes on the C5 are a weak point on this model. Can anyone tell me the tell tale signs and what to look out for? The reason I ask is that my C5 can be a little schizophrenic in it's handling. One day it is assured and handles like a dream, while another it feels like it's broken in half and instills fear when going around corners. I am wondering if potholes and corners could cause cracked bushes to move a little and alter the geometry of the frame, then further potholes shuffle it back into place? It may sound a little fanciful, but something is not right with it. I'd appreciate it if anyone with more knowledge than me (i.e. anyone reading this) can offer any ideas?

Thanks

Well, I found the swing arm bushes to be up to the job.I don't think there a week spot. Anything is possible though.Is the swing arm pivot bolt loose? When is it unstable? only in turns? straight line?,different speeds? Did you have your dealer check it out?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 05:15:41 pm
A confirmed report from RE is that they have updated the material used for the bushes and the new ones are being supplied for last few months. That also an upgrade to deal with the instability issue.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:25:38 pm
One day it is assured and handles like a dream, while another it feels like it's broken in half and instills fear when going around corners.

Thanks

Maybe anything loose? Check all nuts and screws you can find. There must be slack somewhere so wiggle anything between frame and wheels.
Clubman is right: if anything is broken you´ll feel the effect constantly.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 02:53:28 am
Before we get carried away here...... I read every warranty claim and this has not been an issue here in the US. I am not sure if we have even replaced one set. Secondly the factory has NOT given us any information about a change. I have seen time and time again where some issue arises in one country that no one else sees anywhere else. A good example was "Circlips" in AVL engines. Reading the reports from Australia we laid in a ton of clips, naturally it was nothing here. We have had issues that others don't see.

I think the reasons are that the data is strictly anecdotal and not scientific.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 05:45:37 am
Though a defective componenet is always a possibility, I think I would totally agree with Kevin in his stand about the bushes. Though these may not be in metal like some manufacturers prefer, they are very much up to the job.

In fact when my bike was investigated for oscillation, the bushes were as good as any. And did not need replacement.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:39:00 pm by BRADEY »

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 02:40:36 pm
Br. Kevin you are right. After reading your post I spoke with some more RE officials about the upgraded bushes for UCE.

What they told me is that they indeed upgraded the bushes but all the Indian Classics have the upgraded ones from the beginning. As the TBTS UCE has the same setup and it was launched an year before the launch of classics in India and they faced the issue of warn out bushes which were upgraded in due course.

But I think you must have got the emails about the modifications done to the LH side mirror, chamber breather system and few others in last 6 months.