Author Topic: couple of maintenance questions  (Read 3356 times)

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 11, 2008, 07:42:05 am

1.With the bike on the centerstand and the engine warm, you check the engine oil level by   A.inserting the dipstick without screwing it in (like all the other motorcycles I've owned), or B.inserting the dipstick,and screwing it in  ?

2.When changing engine oil only (not trans or primary drive oil), you remove two drain plugs from underneath. Then you add oil to the "oil tank" (as measured by the above dipstick). Then do you have to fill up the timing gear case? If so, is there a level plug that you fill until the oil runs out or?

3.When replacing the oil filter, I read that you should soak the filter in oil before installing it? Some people seem to be saying you then need to prime the system, while others say no need to. So whats the procedure here? If priming is needed, how is it done?

Thanks, Jon.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:48:39 pm
Hey Jon,

Are you having fun yet? The Enfield isn't like any other modern bike I've owned either. Exact measurements and fluid levels are something you don't really need to worry too much about. The big thing is DON'T overfill it with oil. This is bad news.

Check the oil by screwing the dipstick all the way in. That's supposedly the correct method. I never fill mine to the 'full' mark, just a 1/4" down or so. My experience has been, that as long as there's oil showing on the dipstick, its just fine. You don't have to screw the dipstick in all the way, if you account for the fact that the oil won't show as high on the dipstick. Does that make sense? I try and keep the oil level right around the middle of the dipstick.

There are three drain plugs on the bottom of the crankcase. I open all three and loosen the timing bolt to let all the oil drain out. Then tighten up the drain bolts on the crankcase, leaving the timing case bolt loose. Fill up with oil. Run the engine until you see new fresh oil squirting out of the timing bolt (this verifies you have oil feed to the cylinder head and all is well). Tighten up the timing bolt and let it idle for a minute or so. Shut off the engine, allow a few minutes for the oil level to stabilize and check the oil as described above.

When I replace the oil filter, I splash it around in fresh oil prior to installing it. Insert the new filter and follow the directions above. I've never had any problems doing it this way. I'm sure other will jump in if I've said somthing misleading.

Hope that helps. If you haven't got the Pete Snidal Manual, I highly recommend you spend the money. It will tell you how to work on the Enfield, its quirks, and for the most part why you are doing it. Its good stuff. Good luck.

Paul
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 06:14:47 pm
Thanks Paul.  That was helpful to me too.  I just picked mine up yesterday and I'm going through it getting things sorted out.  The oil thing was sort of a mystery.  Having worked on BSA, Norton and Triumph, I was looking for an oil tank.  I mean after all the thing is called an oil tank cap, isn't it?  Well, there isn't any oil tank, there's a wet sump engine.  Damn, didn't expect that.

Anyway, thanks again for your responce to Jon's question.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 06:19:13 pm
On the timing chest - drain it's oil by removing the oil feed plug.  This plug is on the side of the timing chest cover, positioned right in the middle of the oil pump profile.

Fill the timing chest by removing the tappet cover and adding 200 ml of oil into the tappet drain openings (front one is the largest) by using a turkey baster or a small funnel.

I, personally, wouldn't start the engine without the timing chest being filled.

Regards, Foggy
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 06:22:56 pm
Just looked it up on the Tripod manual.  I guess it's not exactly a wet sump after all.

Foggy and Paul, what can happen if the oil tank is too full?  Will it blow out seals or just distribute oil on the garage floor?

Thanks,
Fred
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 06:58:07 pm
Foggy and Paul, what can happen if the oil tank is too full?  Will it blow out seals or just distribute oil on the garage floor?

It might blow out seals, but I doubt it. It will blow excess oil up your crankcase breather system, and if the pressure gets high enough, you'd probably burn some as well. It will also probably leak on the floor, mind you it'll do that anyway in time!

Thanks Foggy - Oil Feed plug is what I meant.
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe