Author Topic: Rough Idling  (Read 3473 times)

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
on: January 11, 2008, 12:00:16 pm
My '06 500 ES has started to idle very rough, frequently missing, lights pulsating, and occasionally stalling with a cough. To keep from stalling, idle's set a bit faster than usual. Adjusting the idle mixture screw (lean or rich) doesn't smooth it out, and the idle speed screw results in very drastic (or sometimes no) changes in idle speed, sometimes very different idle speeds from one stop light to another. It's a bitch to start when cold. Once warmed up, it runs very well at speed, problem's only apparent sitting at idle. The throttle feels smooth and snaps closed with a very audible "clack" (when the bike's not running), changing plugs makes no difference, no apparent air leaks (radiator hose intake manifold with high quality hose clamps), K&N filter mod, choke mechanism seems OK. What am I missing?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:34:11 pm
Did this just start all of a sudden or get progressively worse?  Did it start after you made some kind of change like a main jet, timing or adjusted the points?  Do you have a fuel filter?  Just from what you've said I'm thinking some kind of gunk in the idle jet.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 03:42:19 pm
How many miles? When was the last valve adjustment? Last point adjustment? These things weigh very heavily at idle speeds and starting.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:44:06 pm
All of the above. It sounds like the carb needs to be cleaned. This means complete disassembly. Taking off the float bowl and hosing it off is not enough. Pull every jet and clean them and the carb body passage ways as well. A tight valve will sometimes cause these symptoms. Also check the intake manifold between the carb and the head. Atear there will cause an air leak with the same symptoms.

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 05:15:22 pm
Do you have the PAV system fitted?  If so, check that the vacuum pipe from the right-hand side of the carburetter hasn't come adrift.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Emmet

• Tampa Bay Piper
  • Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 10:51:54 pm
Do you have the PAV system fitted?  If so, check that the vacuum pipe from the right-hand side of the carburetter hasn't come adrift.

AHAH!

Read this, and went straight away to check; whoever had done the exhaust conversion had capped the vacuum tube with a little white vinyl cap, which has now gone missing. A fingerful of hi-temp silicone shoved up it's spout, and it's instantly back to one-kick starting and that low-and-slow tick over we all know and love! After dinner I'll cut it off flush and blank it permanently with a stainless self-tapping screw.
Thanks everyone!