Author Topic: Dealing with blow-by  (Read 3274 times)

David R

• Scooter
  • Bullet 65, BMW R75/5 Suzuki DR650
on: January 06, 2008, 12:53:38 am
I have a pretty stock '04 Sixty 5. I replaced the crimped hose between the catch can and the breather. Put hose clamps on all lines and thought that I had the blow-by pretty well contained. After a long (190 mile) ride today, I noticed that I had oil leaking from the catch can again.
I'm sure that this is one of those recurring topics, but since I'm new and too lazy to search, I'll ask...  ???

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 01:16:51 am
David, you didn't give me enough information, and all the possible answers could fill a book. I'd  like to help. Please call me Tues through Sat 10-5 Pacific time  toll free at 1-866-VINCEMC.

David R

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 01:24:19 am
Thanx,  I"m in Richmond, VA , I'll try to call next week.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 02:43:17 am
David, I posted an oil breather fix I found in the Tech Tips section...
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,676.0.html
Worked for me...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 04:51:57 pm
I had the same problem and could virtually guarantee it whenever I went on a longish run. I followed the advice that Mike points to, but only did the first bit - removing the breather from the crank-case to the catch-can and refitting it the other way round.  I found that this part was all I needed.

I also began to make sure that I didn't put too much oil into the engine.  I keep the level just below the half-way mark and use an energy drink bottle with a nozzle for topping up.  This lets you put in small amounts at a time until you've got the level you want.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

David R

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 02:05:16 am
Thanx, I'll give that a try. Today I cleaned her up and went for about a 20 mile ride as modest speeds and things were still clean. Apparently it's those 55 to 60 mph runs that really cause it to happen worse. I'm thinking of larger counter shaft sprocket to get revs down when cruising.