Author Topic: Ethanol  (Read 4994 times)

abe

on: January 11, 2008, 02:48:16 am
The city of Portland has decided to add 10% Ethanol in all our gas, I have read the posts regarding Premium vs. Regular but I wonder if I should add an additive in my gas when I get my bike? 

Any thoughts?

abe out........ :-\

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:00:00 am
whew...  some bikes don't have the proper chemicals built into their fuel lines or seals  to accept ethanol.. BMW comes to mind as that was my last bike for the last 30 years or so..  molecular breakdown and havoc with the sensors  something like that.. ..  no wonder I bought an enfield..

I would say change all fuel lines..

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 03:39:41 am
The ethanol won't hurt anything on a Bullet. As a matter of fact there is a slight advantage to using it. Having unlined steel tanks that are susceptible to moisture causing rust; the ethanol acts as a drying agent in the tank. Milage on the Ethanol fuel can be as much as 10 to 15 % less so unless the price difference for pure gasoline is less than 10 to 15 % more there will be no savings going to straight gasoline. The higher octane isn't needed so don't waste your money.
- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
  • Use Small Words - I'm an Engineer
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 01:01:50 pm
We have 10% ethanol in our fuels for most of the year. I've had no problems with fuel lines since I've owned mine.

What happens if this Ethanol revolution takes off, and the precentages rise in the fuel to 40% or higher as our infinitely wise leaders are pushing for. How will these bikes run then? Anybody know?
2007 Military 500ES. 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 02:08:36 pm
I would think we would be OK at 6.5 to 1. Remember these things are not too picky in the fuel department, one of the perks of low performance.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 02:47:31 pm
This is going to become a real pain in the lower unit. I've run alky in some snowmobiles, and the conversion was rough. the jetting has to be enlarged, it's real corrosive, if you jet for 40% and find some real gas, the bike will be too rich. 
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 03:39:53 pm
Nothing like 'progress' is there!

I can't believe they'll just switch to a much higher level of ethanol in fuels without offering regular for a while. I know both the cars we own can't run on E85, just standard unleaded.

I think you're right Cyrus about the compression ratio and low power output, but I've heard ethanol can gum up all kinds of lines and carbs if you don't plan for it.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 06:11:51 pm
I believe we have had 10% in our fuels for some time in new york. The parts stores dont even sell drygas anymore. More than 10%  I believe there could be trouble  as you say with  the seals lines ect.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

BanditRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 07:07:36 pm
I haven't noticed any problems using the 10% mix either. I know if I ride out of the Metro area and fill up at a rural station where its 100% gasoline, the bike does run smoother, or then it could just be my imagination.

DanF

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 12:13:46 am
10% ethenal is the US standard for automobile gasoline nation wide now mandated by congress.  This is E10.  Not to be confused with E85, 85% ethanol, which only certain vehicles can run on because it is rough on certain rubbers found in some fuel systems.

willbarter

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 07:04:22 am
We have had 10% ethanol in CT for about 5 years since MTBE was banned and I've had no problem with my '02. When I got the bike I changed the fuel line to the blue see through polyurethane from Dennis Kirk because its flexability made installing the glass fuel filter easier with the stock petcock. No seal or corrosion problems at all.
'02 Classic with Cozy Rocket sidecar. Branford CT
"Ride like lightning, Crash like thunder."

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 11:34:13 am
my plymouth will barley run on ethonol and i was told never to put any in my norton  gas tank because itwould dissolve  i think its fiberglass
bobbezin
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer