Author Topic: Design limitations?  (Read 2530 times)

RichR

• Scooter
on: September 19, 2010, 02:04:18 am
Rookie here, first post ...

I talked with the local RE Guru the other day and he said that the RE likes average speeds of 45-50 mph.  Sustained speeds greater than that, say for 10 miles, will cause engine problems sooner rather than later.  The bike also requires varying speeds rather than any constant speed.  So, when I read this (really good report) by Ducati Scotty "Portland, OR to San Francisco, CA and back", I became somewhat confused, having traveled the same route myself.  I know that he had some considerable periods of constant, sustained speeds (well, not KNOW, but figure).  So what's up.  What is it about the RE that requires one to drive it the way it wants rather than the other way around?  Is it a metallurgical issue (iron barrel) or a design issue?  I'm getting a 2003 ES on Monday.  Hope to be able to learn how to work on it with the help of the guys on this forum and lots of homework.  Thanks.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:33:14 am
The UCE is a way different engine, Welcome to the forum.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 02:54:03 am
The Iron Barrel engines, such as the 2003 models do have some limitations in speed, when used in stock form, or nearly stock form.
They are all plugged up in terms of flow in and out of the engine, and this causes heat to build up. It doesn't shed heat real well.
So, the general rule with basically stock bikes is to not overstress them with speeds over 55mph or so, for very long.

If you do some very basic free-flow mods like a free-flow air filter and free-flowing exhaust system,  and re-jet the carb to suit, and run a little on the rich side, you can increase that speed limit by about 5mph or maybe a little more. The bike will breathe better, and it will cool a little better because of that.

I'd consider that the safe limit if you remain nearly stock with the bike.  If you get low handlebars like Clubman bars, and reduce your aerodynamic drag a bit that way, you might add another 5mph to the limit, and can even step up one extra tooth in gearing. The slightly taller gearing will let the engine rev just a little lower at all road speeds, and it can handle that with the few basic mods I mentioned without any real added stress.

However, even with the basic mods, it's a good idea to stay off the freeways, and use the state and county roads with a 55mph limit, and that's the safe bet.

The Bullet can go much faster when heavily modded, but that's a whole other situation. For your situation getting started with the bike, don't push it over 55 much, and it will do better for you.

BTW, the speedometers are usually not very accurate on Bullets, so you might want to do some checking of your speedo accuracy with a GPS, so you know how fast you are actually going at certain speedo readings.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:58:15 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Roger

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 05:50:31 am
Your 2003 ES is essentially a piece of 1950s Brittish technology. The bike Ducati Scotty was riding is a modern fuel injected 21st century motorcycle. 
2017 Bullet
2007 Ural Patrol - the 'trol

RichR

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 03:30:26 pm
Thanks for the input.  I can see that my homework will be extensive.  I intend to keep the bike stock until I understand the effects of any modifications -so it'll be a while!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 04:38:04 pm
Thanks for the input.  I can see that my homework will be extensive.  I intend to keep the bike stock until I understand the effects of any modifications -so it'll be a while!

FWIW, here's what I found.
Before I got the bike, I was all concerned about it being too slow.
After you get the bike and ride it, you find out that it's not all that slow. It might not be fast, but it gets you around just fine, and it's very fun to ride.
It's just not a freeway bike unless it's highly modified. Most can live with that easily, because it is so nice to ride at the speeds of 55 or below, on the secondary roads where the fun riding is anyway.
You'll understand more after you ride it.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 06:03:44 pm
     I've never been called a guru before!  Now... will I use my power for good or evil?

RichR, The question you ask is legitimate, BUT it is the gateway into the trap. If you define the issue as design or metallurgical the natural next step is to "fix" the "problem". There is NO problem. It was simply designed in a different time for different conditions than modern American presents. Think of a vehicle design for a specific condition of use, let's say a semi. A semi will pull an 80,000 pound trailer. A 1987 small Toyota pick up truck looks like a semi. But it has a design flaw. The metal is too weak and the suspension is too soft to pull the 80,000 pounds it should be able to. If only they had designed it right! But it can be fixed. However by the time you have fixed all the so called issues, you will have a semi tractor.
     It is the same with your iron barrel engine. To truly re-engineer it to do the kind of riding and speeds it "should be able to do", you will have built the new UCE engine that phased out the old Iron Barrel you have. You will drive yourself nuts trying to fix things to "what it should be".
     Certainly there are things you can do to enhance your ride quality, but in the end you will have to stay within the limitations of a the antique design you have. There is a lot of good info on this forum. I would be happy to discuss things with you at any time. Stop back in and I will I treat you to a cup of my famous coffee. We'll talk about Enfields.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:48:42 pm by Vince »

RichR

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 07:44:16 pm
I thought Guru worked fine.  I was trying to avoid ... "Well, Vince said ..." but if you insist.  Rest assured, I will be down many times.  Now, if you say leave the thing alone aren't you and ace.cafe at odds with one another?  Is there a happy medium where you get the Iron Barrel working as well as possible without trying to turn it into something it isn't?  It would be nice to be able to run it at 45-50 mph for more than a few miles. 

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 08:50:09 pm
I thought Guru worked fine.  I was trying to avoid ... "Well, Vince said ..." but if you insist.  Rest assured, I will be down many times.  Now, if you say leave the thing alone aren't you and ace.cafe at odds with one another?  Is there a happy medium where you get the Iron Barrel working as well as possible without trying to turn it into something it isn't?  It would be nice to be able to run it at 45-50 mph for more than a few miles. 

No, I don't see us "at odds".
I agree with Vince on the care and use of the stock Bullet.

I just re-engineer the guts of the bike to make it able to do more, but it comes at a fairly high price which only a few owners want to do. It's a specialty item.
I recommend that an owner become very accustomed to riding his Bullet as it is for quite a while, before thinking about doing any serious modifications.

RichR

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 12:54:45 am
Thanks Ace.  As you can tell, this is all new to me.  Vince told me that the majority of bikes he sees with issues are due to the owners fixing "problems" best left alone, so I was a bit confused about how to proceed.  I guess my main concern was whether or not the bike could be modified such that it could handle sustained speeds of around 50 mph for use on the secondary roads we have here in the Puget Sound area.  Top speed isn't the issue as 50-55 mph would be fine.  There are some awesome roads where the speed would be pretty much constant. I'll have at it for a good while before I do anything.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 01:40:12 am
Rich,
Let me chime in as well. If you modify your bike it will put a bit of money in my pocket. I stand to gain from a persons need to not leave well enough alone. So does Vince and so does Ace. Knowing that it benefits us personally for you to heavily modify your bike why would we advise you like we are?

We are all in agreement. There is nothing wrong with your new bike from a design perspective in bone stock condition. The metalurgy is fine, the parts are fine the design is fine. There is a reason that is was the longest running production model in the world many times over. It is a question of capabilities. For the riding you describe it might actually be perfectly designed. The object is to ride and enjoy your time. You have your Suburban when you need to actually get somewhere quickly. You are going to see things you never knew where there.

You will see raging debates here about modifications with the same underlying tone, leave well enough alone.............unless you make improvements for reasons such as Ace suggests and there are lots of people who do just that.

Scooter Bob has a good setup - he has a very stock Blue Deluxe and Military bike that he rides on a daily basis. No changes to speak of except careful tuning a lots of care and attention. When he wants a hot rod he takes something from the back room that we have been screwing around with.  Perfect.

You will get lots of good advice here and everyone is very willing to help a newbie, we are happy to have you aboard.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

RichR

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 03:18:44 am
"why would we advise you like we are?"  My bet is because you are all honest businessmen who can look in the mirror and know you've treated your customers fairly.  No BS, been there myself and I appreciate it.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 07:52:13 pm
     RichR, there is a lot you can do to enhance ride quality. I don't mean to imply that you should never modify the bike. I simply try to direct my customers in a direction that offers good long term satisfaction at reasonable pricing.  For instance, I don't see any need to re-engineer the bike in a forlorn  attempt to turn it into a reliable freeway blaster. But a Classic British exhaust and the 30MM Amal carb kit will noticeable liven up the ride. You will net a 3-4 horsepower gain, retain stock ride-ability and reliability, and not increase your maintenance chores.
     Update your suspension and tires. Hagon shocks and Avon AM26 tires will transform the ride. Change the look and feel with different bars or seat. Spend FUN money. If you go into this thinking you have to fix "design" flaws your expenses will be large and invisible. It really won't be that much fun unless you are a real motor head. But to reach this level of motor headed-ness you have to put in the time to learn the basics, so for now start with learning what the bike is, rather than worrying about trying to fix issues that some one else is overly, and mostly erroneously, worrying about. Do the basic maintenance and go riding.
     Ace does some wondrous stuff. I would love to ride one of his projects. But he is at the top of the game. Ace, if I ever go through your area I will drop in!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 10:18:00 pm
I have a stock AVL Classic. Yes , a little tuffer engine then the iron barrel. I ride in a slow rural area half the year. no posted speed above 55 mph, roads that require you to vary speed and throttle and cool outside air temps. This could be called RE paradise.

All  I describe is well within design limits AVL or Iron barrel.

Ive had mine up to 75 mph in a mile  long burst. But don't live there. Mostly 35-55 mph, for short trips.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 11:04:54 pm
Welcome to the forum,Rich...the electric starter on your 2003 ES is the only modern part...the design itself goes back to 1939,as the 350 Bullet,which was upgraded to 500 in 1954,for the 1955 model year...basically untainted by technology,and the same model for over 50 years...and happiest at 40-50 mph...treat it with respect,maintain it properly,and it'll always get you home...just make sure you carry TOOLS (to keep everything tight),and a spare plug...Happy Motoring!
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~