Author Topic: Riddled with problems suddenly  (Read 24030 times)

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #120 on: March 18, 2011, 01:54:09 pm
Mine has backfired with deceleration- like going downhill, since I got it. 
It helps to give it a little gas.  Yes- I go faster while going downhill, but I'm getting used to being scared.   :o  ???  :'(

Uncle,
The only reason for poping on overrun is air getting sucked into the exhaust pipe and allowing unspent fuel to be ignited. (This is what the PAV did (does) by design).

Assuming that you've removed the pav and sealed up the hole in the head, check and tighten all exhaust / muffler connections and use a little exhaust paste if required.

Then you won't have to change your undercrackers every time you go downhill!
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

Gordon

• Bulleteer
Reply #121 on: March 18, 2011, 02:11:24 pm
And its not just one mechanic. Let me run you through some problems I've had with some of the best mechanics here in Mumbai INCLUDING the authorised service center. I say besy because they have a huge customer base and are quite experienced in just Bullets.

Mech 1: Gone for a regular service. Changes primary oil, forgets a washer inside, washer goes into alternator coil/magnet shorting it completely.

Mech 2 (authorised service center): Head Gasket replacement. Changed and returned back home. Seen a lot of oil leaking from the head and I had no idea of the exact source. I investigated and found that the head bolts weren't tightened at all.

Mech 3: Regular service. Primary oil changed. Primary casing nut left loose, causing oil to leak.

Mech 4: Bike was misfiring and had a lot of clatter. Mech said the complete timing assembly has to be checked and the pushrods have to be replaced. Heck instead what I noticed is that after sorting out the electrical misfire, the clatter has significantly reduced. So I wonder....

Mech 5:

I've shown the current electrical misfiring problem and the past manifold leak misfire to all of the above, and none of them could sort it out.

The manifold misfire was not caught by ANYONE. I suffered with that problem for around 9-10 months. A fellow member on Team-BHP.com advised me to check it. I bought a replacement and changed it myself. Worked like crazy after that.

I've had the electrical misfire twice. Once I had it for MORE than 1.5 years. Every mech did the usual - clean spark plug, carb, check air filter, etc. - no difference. Eventually I was frustrated, sat down with the bike for 30mins - thought MAYBE its the front brake switch getting short. Removed it and was stumped when it ran without a gliitch, misfire, or backfire. ** I'm still confused on how a brake switch can cause a misfire **

About the recent electrical misfire - even the mech I recently gave it too, sorted out the problem ONLY because I was assisting him while he worked on the bike - else he was going to change the regulator also.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:02:23 pm by Gordon »

Gordon

• Bulleteer
Reply #122 on: March 18, 2011, 02:36:14 pm
My bike doesnt have the PAV. The manifold has though which I have sealed.

@single: lol, yes I've learnt a lot. I know now that if I do stall while going somewhere I have confidence that I can get the bike up and running :)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #123 on: March 18, 2011, 03:17:24 pm
Gordon
Bulleteer
My bike doesnt have the PAV. The manifold has though which I have sealed.
@single: lol, yes I've learnt a lot. I know now that if I do stall while going somewhere I have confidence that I can get the bike up and running :)

GORDON's CENTURY -  Mr. Tendulkar on your exact 100th post, you and bike are one.  Nothing stopping now.  Great job and congrats.  Enjoy the rides.

RE lives up to its motto 'Turning riders into mechanics for 100 years'  ;D.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 03:24:08 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Gordon

• Bulleteer
Reply #124 on: March 23, 2011, 11:38:49 am
Well, the backfiring is still there. The misfiring is gone though. Moreover, my fuel consumption just dropped drastically. I usually get 30 km per liter. Now I'm getting 25 km per liter. Is this something to do with the backfiring?

I've also heard that the backfiring disappears when the mixture is richer. But if the mixture is richer, wont there be more unburnt fuel causing even more backfiring?

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #125 on: March 23, 2011, 12:29:30 pm
I've heard of using an extra spark plug installed in the muffler...
Must be cool to watch at night.
Run what ya brung

Gordon

• Bulleteer
Reply #126 on: March 23, 2011, 02:23:19 pm
Oh stretch forth thy hand,
For I am in quicksand.......