Author Topic: RE sidecar??  (Read 10168 times)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
on: July 17, 2007, 01:34:50 am
I am an avid sidecarist?? having a Ural Tourist, and would like to get the Rocket for the RE...  All I have heard from folk is that the Enfield does not have the power to cope with a sidecar. I need some encouragement from a Bullet rider, who has a sidecar, or has an opinion about a sidecar for the Bullet..

aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 01:56:22 am
I am an avid sidecarist?? having a Ural Tourist, and would like to get the Rocket for the RE...  All I have heard from folk is that the Enfield does not have the power to cope with a sidecar. I need some encouragement from a Bullet rider, who has a sidecar, or has an opinion about a sidecar for the Bullet..

No shortage of opinions around here!

I've owned several bikes hooked up to sidecars: 98 Tourist, 2000 Deco (then upgraded to the 750 engine), a 76 Honda GW with a Velorex 562 and a '72 Yamaha 650 (XS-2) hooked up to the same Velorex.

My guess is that the ultralight Cozy would work well on my Electra X. However, mine has two advantages: It's the new AVL lean burn engine (which has a little more HP and is considered to be more robust in terms of mechnical reliability); and I have a performance kit that *really* unleashed the beast.

My guess is that my Electra X could haul the Cozy at 55mph. I also think it would be alot like my 650 Tourist. Despite the Ural's extra 150cc, it had *a lot* more weight to haul around (both the bike and the steel sidecar).
But like my Ural, I bet the rig would be happier at 45-50mph.

If I ever get bored of solo Bulleting, I'll likely yoke it up to a Cozy just for grins! Fly the chair!

Matt
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 02:02:35 am by Thumper »

CallahanRE

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 02:24:32 am
I have a side car on my bike and if that is what you want, do it ,I recently removed the sidecar to install an exhaust and am riding without it. The sidecar is awesome and incredibly stable, I have the euro
 style I really haven't noticed much difference in power except on take off -
 -I have to rev a little higher but once she is rolling look out, I got her to 70 with the sidecar and since it is bone stock( to my knowledge)
 I don't think it will do any more without it. I have a 2002 4 speed
deluxe 500ES. my wife wants to build a new house and I have been debating selling the side car since it is off and she wants her own bike anyway. of course another deluxe but a five speed. I'll sell it for 1800.00
 of course it is real sweet but it is not the rocket it's the euro.
 think about it. any way to answer your question i thought the engine
 provided enough torque to handle it and we had lots of fun with it.
 especially at daytona and the holidays toting Santa and all halloween
 monsters.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 02:29:27 am
thanks for the replies, guys.. I would like to see one fitted somehow..  But I probably will end up buying one.  The Ural is way more fun than I ever thought it would be, so having two sidecars would be awesome. I intend eventually, to get one for the Harley too.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

willbarter

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:47:39 am
Hi, I have a '02 Clasic with the Rocket sidecar and the bike has no problem getting my 200 pounds and 50 pounds of tools and lead balast up hills or crusing at 50 MPH. With the four speed gearbox there is a big jump between 3rd and 4th your five speed would be easier to work with and no sloppy crossover linkage either. I've had the outfit a year and I enjoy it a lot, thinking about adding a Ural Patrol for longer rides with a passenger.

I put in a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket for a bit more pull and to better deal with the jump to 4th gear. Also drilled some holes through the stock bazooka muffler to reduce backpressure, put a K&N filter in the stock air box and installed the Power Arc ignition.
The bike came with a Boyer Brandson ignition and the kickback when starting was too much, either sprain my ankle or frag the sprag clutch. I retarded the Power Arc 2 extra degrees and it kicks over and runs like a dream.

I have the fuel mixture a bit rich with a 135 main and the needle clip half way up. It helps to keep the engine temp down, I'm concerned about the front sidecar bracket obstructing air flow across the fins. I've ran 80 miles in 90 degree temp taking a 5 minute cooldown break every 20 miles or so so any hot spots within the engine will equalize. With the 16 tooth sprocket I try to keep the speed to 45, did 50 MPH for30 minutes with temps in the 80's and could tell the engine was beginning to overheat. The Electra should be much better than the Clasic cast iron engine with heat disapation. Got some pictures in the photo section under Don's Cosey Rocket.      Good Luck,  Don     
'02 Classic with Cozy Rocket sidecar. Branford CT
"Ride like lightning, Crash like thunder."

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 05:29:29 am
Couldn't manage to find you pictures, do you have a link to them?
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

deejay

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 01:57:04 pm

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 02:12:53 pm
Nice pictures..  I have decided to get two cozy sidecars, one of each, in the spring.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

CallahanRE

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 04:50:01 pm
I put one picture on the readers rides section of my side car It works surprisingly well
 and is alot more stable than I had imagined to ride with. I removed it to change the exhaust and am now riding without it.

willbarter

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 12:09:56 am
Couldn't manage to find you pictures, do you have a link to them?

Woops, forgot to post the link, http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/willbarter/Royal%20Enfield/
 Been out of action for a couple of weeks with a knee replacement, the electric start will be getting some use now.   

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 03:41:23 am
Thank you for the link, hope your knee progresses as it should and you are back to beating the heck out of the kick start soon. :)

The pictures look great - where in the world were they taken??
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

willbarter

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 05:25:57 am
Thanks, The pictures were taken while riding in Branford, Connecticut where I live and surrounding coastal and inland towns. Branford is 20 KM east of New Haven. For a reference point, Yale University is located in New Haven.  Don 

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 01:15:31 pm
Looks like a nice to belong to.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA