Author Topic: G-5 Compression  (Read 1824 times)

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
on: September 26, 2010, 04:12:35 am
Has anybody with a G-5 who has kick-started it from new noticed any change in the compression resistance through TDC? I've gotten mine down to first kick starting, and now with a little over 3,000 miles, the resistance is very low, sometimes the "poof" is hard to detect, but there is no loss of power or the presence of smoking. Jus' askin'.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 06:38:50 am
This was mentioned recently in another thread.  It may just be your auto decompressor settling in and working well, so at (I think) under 250RPM it should be easier to push through TDC.

I have a C5 so no first hand experience ;)

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 08:56:37 am
I have sometimes been amazed and impressed by how easily my G5 (6000 miles)  will start with the lightest push on the kickstart. Not every time, and I almost always use the elec start, but I like to kick it over now and again for old times sake   :D
Perhaps it is a little easier than at first, but then the engine is a completely different beast than when new. These engines start out tight as hell remember - plenty of resistance in all moving parts. I guess this must effect the ease of kickstarting.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 12:08:23 pm
I found starting with a duff battery difficult (did'nt know the battery was duff).
After fitting a new battery , and after it failed to turn the engine over, on the e. start, it kick starts just fine.
For the battery fault, I first blamed the starter relay, and I was then about to dismantle the starter motor.