Author Topic: Change Your Brake Fluid !!!  (Read 2551 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 17, 2010, 04:14:24 am
 This is an example of a front master cylinder, on a bike , in which the owner never changed the Brake fluid. Extreme and shocking I know. But it will happen, sooner or later to yours, if you don't change it when your supposed to. Sooner  rather then later if you store your bike outside. No,it is not an RE master cylinder. I will happen to any bike that uses Dot 3 or 4 Brake fluid.
 Believe it or not the brake worked! But can you imagine what could happen on the highway if some of those solids were to come loose and get into an orifice or two?
I can't wait to take apart the caliper ::) There is nothing wrong with Dot 3 or 4 fluid, but it must be changed! It absorbs moisture and eventually turns into a solid ! What fluid was left, was like a very loose Mud. Dot 5 is OK, but you will have to change it more often, because it does not absorb moisture. You'll get pockets of water in the fluid, not good either.
 Just a heads up guy's, so you know why they tell you to change those fluids.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:07:04 am
Brake fluid absorbs water from the air.  Over time that rusts and corrodes the parts.  You should flush all hydraulic systems once a year with fresh fluid so it don't look like that! ;)

oldairplanenut

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 02:02:16 pm
Does anybody know if our brake systems are compatible with an ester-based hydraulic fluid like Mil-H-5606? We use this in aircraft braking systems and I have never seen any problems like this despite not changing the fluid for many years. I recently installed the braided metal line from CMW on my C5 and was thinking of trying it, but common sense told me to follow the manual so I put in DOT 3. By the way, the metal line is great- noticeable difference!

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 02:51:39 pm
Does anybody know if our brake systems are compatible with an ester-based hydraulic fluid like Mil-H-5606? We use this in aircraft braking systems and I have never seen any problems like this despite not changing the fluid for many years. I recently installed the braided metal line from CMW on my C5 and was thinking of trying it, but common sense told me to follow the manual so I put in DOT 3. By the way, the metal line is great- noticeable difference!

Despite the fact that you REALLY want to - DON'T DO IT!!  ;) "Automotive-type" brake fluid is a polyglycol (unless it's DOT 5 - which is silicone based) - the ester-based fluid will quickly turn the soft parts in an automotive system into black goop. I'D flush the system with denatured alcohol and plop the DOT % fluid in there and be done with it for a couple of years anyway. The silicone based fluid does not absorb moisture, treats the rubber parts NICE and a has a boiling point above the flash-point of the aluminum on the master cylinder - so you can't go wrong here. You airplane guys always try to fix stuff TOO good ...... you know - like on an AIRPLANE? Hahaha! (I'm glad there are guys like you out there, tho - if it hadn't been for aircraft mechanics in Southern California after WWII, we would still be drivin' Model A Fords with four cylinders - there would be no hot rods out there!)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:47:38 pm
I'D flush the system with denatured alcohol .

Yea, thats right. Save the good stuff for Saint Patty's  ;D
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 06:06:49 am
Would you use H-5606 hydraulic fluid in in car master cylinder?

I wouldn't think it would be real hard to bleed your motorcycle brakes. Dot 3,4,or 5.

I know someone that uses AeroShell aviation oil in his H-D.....not sure why,...not recommending either, just saying.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)