Author Topic: Royal Enfield Barbour jacket art OMG beautiful!!  (Read 14502 times)

neobrit

• Scooter
on: September 16, 2010, 06:14:10 am
As far as I can tell this was a collaborative art project between RE and Barbour, hopefully there will be enough interest to actually produce a limited run. I will  post a link( scroll half way down the page) and a photo.http://arkitipintel.com/2009/09/18/mens-file-magazine/

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 06:39:36 am
I'd be seen in that. I have an oilcloth coat that's very similar. 
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:05:51 pm
Man!!!, forget the jacket, did you see the Fairing on that Bike? Wow!! How cool is that?
 Jacket and Girls cool too ::)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:15:57 pm
Man!!!, forget the jacket, did you see the Fairing on that Bike?

Forget the jacket and fairing, did you check out the Honda Trail?
2002 Bullet ES

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 06:43:07 pm
 Is that what she was rideing? :D

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 06:44:34 pm
Jacket's a bit, uh, military looking, don't y'think......?    :-\
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:56:29 pm
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda."
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

neobrit

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 03:10:52 am
Jacket's a bit, uh, military looking, don't y'think......?    :-\
Maybe thats why I like it, considering most motorcycle gear was derived from military uniforms such as the bomber. The Barbour is no diffirent, it was issued to submarine commanders and a few other outfits, between the 1930's and 70's barbours motorcycle range was worn by nearly every british international motorcycle racer.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 03:15:54 am
I need me a white silk scarf, that's what I needs me.   ;D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 05:23:42 am
I need me a white silk scarf, that's what I needs me.   ;D
Yea, you must complete the look ;)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 08:53:58 am
"...most motorcycle gear was derived from military uniforms such as the bomber. The Barbour is no diffirent, it was issued to submarine commanders and a few other outfits, between the 1930's and 70's barbours motorcycle range was worn by nearly every british international motorcycle racer...."

Point taken. But - bomber / flying jacket doesn't look military, it just looks cool, especially when well broken in. Barbour jackets are pretty much standard wear for English farmers and country types - again, they look ok when well broken in. When new, they have that yucky sticky texture and are stiff as cardboard. They aint got the style until they're old and settled.....
It's a personal preference thing of course, but that Barbour Enfield jacket is going to take a lot of breaking in before it's rumpled enough to look good on a bike rather than fresh out of West Point  .....  ;)  
If it's the look you're after  -  leather jacket. Black. No substitute.

White scarf if you must - but grubby, and silk. And certainly not with that shiny new jacket if you don't want to look like a male model.  Easy to get this look wrong - works best when it evolves naturally .......  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:42:45 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 04:33:14 pm
They aint got the style until they're old and settled.....

Neither did I !   8)

I found this oilcloth coat used at a fleamarket and bought it for $30.00.  It's utterly windproof, waterproof in anything less than "steady rain", looks good, and, if I may say so, I look good in it!

And why is it that I can find gauntlets in black leather for $15 at any bike show, but to get them in brown involves considerable internet searching and cost closer to $200?  Cows are brown!

neobrit

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 04:50:21 pm

Point taken. But - bomber / flying jacket doesn't look military, it just looks cool, especially when well broken in. Barbour jackets are pretty much standard wear for English farmers and country types - again, they look ok when well broken in. When new, they have that yucky sticky texture and are stiff as cardboard. They aint got the style until they're old and settled.....
It's a personal preference thing of course, but that Barbour Enfield jacket is going to take a lot of breaking in before it's rumpled enough to look good on a bike rather than fresh out of West Point  .....  ;)  
If it's the look you're after  -  leather jacket. Black. No substitute.

White scarf if you must - but grubby, and silk. And certainly not with that shiny new jacket if you don't want to look like a male model.  Easy to get this look wrong - works best when it evolves naturally .......  ;)
[/quote]
That makes perfect sense to me.I have read that the barbour style jacket is used throughout the UK for a variety of outdoor activities including farming, I would'nt want that association either.  I think fashion can mean completely diffirent things to  people especially when culturally speaking the country one lives in. Here in the US the Barbour doesn't have such connections to the country. In fact there is a type of stygma attached to the black leather perfecto style jacket that I am trying to avoid, on a motorcycle I don't want to appear as a "harley guy". I also don't want to look like a ricerocket ninja with a brightly colored textile jacket. I definately agree with the broken in part, I guess the best thing to do is buy an originl well used vintage jacket. ;D

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 05:06:56 pm
In fact there is a type of stygma attached to the black leather perfecto style jacket that I am trying to avoid, on a motorcycle I don't want to appear as a "harley guy".

I'm in complete agreement with you.  I'm just too old for the rocker/punk look I adopted as a teen, and quite unknowingly found myself looking like a 1%er as the years ticked by.  So out with the black and in with the brown.

I made one concession though.  My boots (brown) are made by Harley Davidson and have their logo prominently all over them.  I couldn't resist them, they were so comfortable.  

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 05:31:12 pm
I definately agree with the broken in part, I guess the best thing to do is buy an originl well used vintage jacket. ;D

Or simply wear it in some real weather!  It'll get "used" looking quick enough, and you'll have a jacket that lasts a long time, because you didn't buy already worn out.

Eamon
Eamon