Author Topic: footpeg vibration  (Read 9486 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 09:01:45 am
Many thanks for your enlightening post Kevin - and by extension, Scooter Bob. My bike's away for repair today, but the moment it's back home I'll be letting air out of the tyres and experimenting. I'm still not sure I'd want to run these RoadRiders on my G5 for long at 18psi in the front, but I'll give it a try.....
I do know the G5 feels way more stable and responsive with the RoadRiders than with the stock tyres.
UK bikes, mine at any rate, have only the VIN Plate on the frame - no tyre pressures. Owners Manual and the EFI Workshop Manual both say 18/28 of course.
Sorry to hear you're in hospital - nothing too horrible I hope.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 11:56:34 am
My G5 runs with 2,0 bar front and 2,3 bar rear witch is the recomendation of the german manual. I realized that the temperature of my front tyre (still the original) never matches the rear tire. Highway speeds of 100 kmh warming up the rear one to aproximately 50 °C, well above body temperature. But the front rubber is as best as warm as 35 °C or less, very often colder than body temperature.
Although the german RE-community prefers Heidenau tyres, I don´t consider  the Avons as bad (although they´re lacking steering precision). But I doubt the temperature range of the front tire is correct. The only way to alter that is to lower the pressure to the 1,3 bar stated in the Indian manual. This measure, however, erradicates steering precision completely and introduces the big wobble in any situation - no option at all.
In F1 they have these fancy heat blankets - thats what I need!  ;D
My appologies for hijacking the threat.
All the best to you Kevin! Hope they´ll let you out of the hospital soon!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:59:13 am by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 01:24:55 pm
Thanks for the post Kevin.  It is always enlightening when you chime in with basic good facts that can be backed up with common sense and experience.

This conversation really should be had with Dealers. (perhaps it is, I do not know what kind of education they get)   When I bought my C5 the Dealer really could not tell me the difference between the two models.  They really did not understand the history of these bikes. Even on return trips back to the dealer I have been able to share more wisdom with tire kickers in his showroom than was shared with me when I bought mine.   I suspect they do not know any more today than they did 6 months ago. I certainly do.

Quinn
Any other Enfields in New England?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 02:05:00 pm
My C5 frame tag says 24psi front and 32psi rear
my C5 manual says 18psi front and 20psi rear.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:17:00 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 02:46:15 pm
I had the tyre pressure conversation with the dealer when he came to pick up my bike this morning. Apparently Watsonian Squire (UK importers) recommend 24 front and 26 rear - that's for the C5  (Road Riders). No info on the G5 stock tyres.
I'll try these pressures when my bike gets home.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 02:50:43 pm
I'm willing to try that, Everything I'm reading on the Avon AM26 road rider tire say's it's a bias ply and not a radial, have I missed something?
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 03:23:31 pm
No - you're right, it is.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 04:27:51 pm

Same here for my C5, and there's another set of pressures in the manual for 2 up riding: 28/30. 

I was running 24/32 until Gorilla mentioned in a PM to try lower pressures.  I'm now at 22/28 and will probably try a little lower.  The sidewalls of these tires are amazingly stiff.  Believe me, I tired to change one by hand.  That may have something to do with being able to run lower pressures.

Scott

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 05:30:25 pm
Hi y,all, when I last looked at the rim and tyre widths on the C5 I got the feeling that RE were using rims which were quite a bit wider than those used on the iron barrel models.

This would make the tyre walls a bit more upright (for want of a better word) and with the stiffer walls of the road riders I guess pressures between 18-24 front and 24-28 rear could well work.

I'll have a go over the next couple of days.

Cheers, Shappers.

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 06:42:32 pm

Thats quite a difference! I'll have to go see what my frame says..

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 07:05:19 pm
About a month ago I had started a thread on tyre pressure on G5 because when I had inflated tyre to higher than what was in the Owner's manual, the bike rode so much better and smoother and had less vibrations !

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,8343.0.html

The recommendations for G5 are as follows -

Front          Rear
Owner's manual - Solo Ride                             18 psi          28 psi
Owner's manual - Double riding                        20 psi          30 psi

Frame Tag                                                     24 psi         32 psi

I am quite happy with 22 psi front and 30-32 psi rear.  
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:16:58 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 03:11:41 pm
Kevin, 1000 % scooterbob. Of course that little bird in my ear was infact our resident Guru. And I am very happy that you mentioned him. My not mentioning him was only out of a deep respect for his humility, believe it or not ;)  He spent countless Days with me on this, nights, weekends etc. And I do believe he enjoyed every minute of it. Almost as much as I did. Aways constructive, positive and open minded. I have never met anyone who loves what he does as much as he does. Countless Pm's and emails. At times I thought, Man, let me give him a break .Then Bang, at 10 pm on a sunday night, while I was in the garage, I'd get  Pm from him,asking about this or that. The man is always thinking about Bikes.
 Now I don't mean to get him in trouble, and get everone thinking, that's the kind of service everyone is gonna get. But I think you can agree, my problem was not the run of the mill type. To use his word's, "the tip of my tongue has been turning blue". An unbelievable Guy  and someone I consider a friend.  ;)
 Dan

GHG - Thanks for the kind words! Everything that I try to do is simply to help the Factory build the BEST bikes that they can - and to make the new owners experience as delightful as it can be. All the time spent on this issue is just an example of that. YOU were huge help as well by literally BEING my hands and eyes on YOUR bike. We both learned a LOT of very valuable information. The best part of all is that you came to me looking for a solution - NOT complaining of a problem. GHG - You are a true team player here - and everyone on the Forum who has a C5 should thank you!

Let's not forget Kevin here, either. He makes it possible for us all to work on issues that SOME manufacturers would rather sweep under the rug and pretend they didn't exist. From TCI units to starter gears to "mystery wobbles" to "where do I put the bolt in my seat?"- it's all been on here for every one of us to LEARN from. This forum stretches from the halls of REM in Chennai to YOUR garage .... we ALL benefit from it, thanks to Kevin.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 03:33:43 pm
Yup, Lets not forget the main guy who makes it possible. He is the Schnizzle, ;)
 Thanks Kevin.
Dan.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.