Author Topic: C5 Kick starter please!  (Read 8175 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 02:43:09 am
check out www.royalenfields.com

It shows two RE C5's with kick start listed for sale in Torronto.

They came from the Indian market, where the kick-starters are original equipment.  Good luck getting them licensed in the USA!
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 06:44:26 pm
Hi y,all,

I don't think the Indian have the O2 sensor so may not pass emissions.

Cheers, Shappers.

3rdgear

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 02:32:37 pm
2010 G5 Deluxe comes with a kick start in the US. It the same motor I believe.  Seems that parts would be available to add to a C5.  Correct me if I am wrong.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:22:47 pm by 3rdgear »

holodeck

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 06:10:21 pm
I was told by a dealer that to put a kick on the C-5 woukd envolve "  a major engine overhaul ". I  tried to get an answer from the factory in India and got a long run around. I wish Kevin would weigh in and get this very long running question answered for good.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 06:02:09 am
G5 Deluxe and regular model both have a kick start in the US.  It's the same motor but the side covers are a different style.  C5 gets the wing 'RE' emblems, G5 gets 'Royal Enfield' embossed covers.  You could probably swap the right side cover from a G5 to a C5 but you'd probably need a lot of little parts inside to do it and some major disassembly/reassembly to get it in place.

Scott

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 08:47:57 pm
Well I gotta say that a malfunctioning starter/clutch cutoff circuit has just fried some wiring for me and disabled the bike.  It's now in the shop. So much for the e-start reliability argument.   ::)  >:(

I want the message to get throught to India that they STILL do not have Jap-bike reliability, and need the darned kicker in the bike. That argument is a total fantasy.

louis 911

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 09:26:25 pm
the kick starter is good on the G5

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 11:29:44 pm
Well I gotta say that a malfunctioning starter/clutch cutoff circuit has just fried some wiring for me and disabled the bike.  It's now in the shop. So much for the e-start reliability argument.   ::)  >:(

I want the message to get throught to India that they STILL do not have Jap-bike reliability, and need the darned kicker in the bike. That argument is a total fantasy.

100% agree. I've just got my G5 back with a new sprag clutch fitted and the electric starter is, (of course),  working fine again. In the event it was only 10 days not working thanks to a no quibble attitude on the warranty and my brilliant dealer but I wasn't off the road because the G5 has a kick start. Sprag clutch failure does seem to be rare on the EFI but I've read posts where other things went wrong - solenoid typically and your particular reason is disturbing. No, electric starting is not as reliable as it should be and it needs a kick start.

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 03:16:56 am
Yup.  I don't have the final verdict, but the cutoff switch has been malfunctioning and requiring some manipulation of the clutch lever to get the bike started.  I had parked the bike at a HD/Triumph/RE dealer to test a Bonny.  This time when I went to start it it wouldn't turn over,heard a good bit of clicking and weak attempt to turn the starter motor, then *poof*...cloud of smoke and melted wires. We'll see. Melted the positive side.  Not sure if some chafed wiring also involved, but I don't think so.  I just had the battery pulled last week (to sort out a different reason why it wouldn't start...loose connection to ignition switch) and everything looked fine.

Reliable estart my assa....

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 01:57:18 pm
I been following this website since 2006. Have a 2006 iron with 8k on the clock and for the most part use the kickstart. The electric start does work and I check it occasionaly to make sure. I do know that it seems to prefer a fully charge battery and has a mine of it owns re. whether it kicks in or not. I never did take a liking to the sound it generates as it sounds awful anyway vice just kick starting the bike in 2-3 kicks.  I am also wondering how the c5 is gonna hold up with just electric start. Some people here have reported that its been great.  Guess we will find out over the next couple of years on the worthiness of the electric start c5's. cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 05:37:32 pm
Mine had been great, until it wasn't.....

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 10:53:35 pm
I have the 2009 G5 and had problems with the starter solenoid,
it was about two months before I got it fixed.
I was quite happy kicking over.two kicks cold, one kick warm,
I,m sure I would have had problems bump starting,
    I would have thought it  was important to fit one on the C5 during manufacture

Eggzackly why I waited a coupla months just to get the G-5 of my dreams!  Most kicks I ever did was 3 to start it, and that wuz because I forgot to put up the sidestand, and they won't letcha start it with it down. :P
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 08:30:37 am
Kickstart isn't necessarily a foolproof backup when sprag failure rules out electric starting. My G5 sprag failed this week as some of you know, but this left the elec starter gears meshed somehow so that kick starting isn't an option. The kickstart now engages both the engine and the starter motor - sounds horrible, feels strange, wont start.
They're coming in the morning to take the bike to the workshop under warranty.
Glorious riding weather down here......  :( :( :(
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 05:53:40 pm
Will, ask you dealer if the new sprag bearing is my Tsubaki then you have the updated one:)