Author Topic: Fork Oil  (Read 3340 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
on: September 11, 2010, 01:28:14 am
Quick (just one, promise) question about fork oil.

Is it worth it to change out the (motor?) oil in the forks and put in synthetic fork oil, and if so what weight would be recommended (Seattle climate is not extreme)?

My C5 is at the shop getting the paint boo-boo's taken care of right now.  Ducati Seattle is really on top of this and is working hard to get it right.  The paint guru might have to remove the forks to get the goughes taken care of, and that sounds like a good time to make a fork oil change, ya think?

They're also going to install the new headlamp and visor!  Woo hoo!
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 04:46:35 pm
This is not an RE thing, it's a motorcycle thing: most motos get delivered with the wrong amount of low quality oil in the forks.  Changing it out is almost always an immediate improvement.  Not sure what weight to advise you on but I do recommend dedicated fork oil and synthetic at that.  Synthetic just lasts longer and works better and doesn't cost much more.

Scott

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 05:20:56 pm
It's so easy to change the oil in these forks. Last time, I used Bel-Ray fork oil.  I decided to take a leap of faith and try ATF.  To my surprize- it feels fine.  Chenge the fork oil once a year, as it does build up sludge in there.
Run what ya brung

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 06:52:37 pm
I've used ATF in my forks since the 70's, it works really good for me.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:23:00 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:35:37 pm
I changed out my fork oil out of boredom,my military has 1900 miles. I used ATF full synthetic Mobil 1 (I use it in the primary). I don't recommend it for the forks ,it seems too thin and now my forks clank when fully extended,too soft as well. I wonder if ATF  F is thicker.oh well, I've ordered 20 weight fork oil as none is available in my area.  Anyhow as the old saying goes " don't fix what's not broke"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:46:17 pm by Bullet.wagon »
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:54:49 pm
I wonder why so few people log their location in their profile?   It's hard to imagine not finding fork oil locally.

Anyway, I don't know about the UCE's, but historically it was a good idea to change fork oil immediately because one never knew what was in there from the factory.   I seem to reall I had to wildly different amounts in each fork.
Run what ya brung

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 11:02:55 pm
I live near Houston Tx. ,I could find fork oil but not 20 weight.  I used a dip stick from a fiberglass kite stick,mine were right on,but the forks were diving(still are). I think now I should do straight 30 weight but the manual calls for 20 fork oil. I'm truly all for whatever works though.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350