Author Topic: well if this doesn't get me into heaven, at least it's a interview!  (Read 4119 times)

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
I run my '09 MIlitary with the Cozy as my "truck".
You never know WHAT I'm gonna toss in the side car. I don't think the seat has been in the Cozy 5 times in the 2 years I've own it.
Last summer it was a total of 130- 80 # bags of concrete to put a floor in my cellar.
3 days a day for all of June!
I'm at Lowes at least twice a week with it, it kinda has it's own parking spot over this drain, in front of the store.
Last spring I met a 'ol guy who grown up in England.
He had grown up by the R.E. factory, his family worked in it.
We talked, (well he talked, I listened) for a good hour on his memories of the R.E.s, his uncle and father taking him for rides, how sad he was when they closed.
It was the LOOK in his eyes as he relived his past life, the way he ran those hard working hands over the tank, as though he was touching a fine woman. You could see he really wasn't there in Lowes, but maybe a kid again,in his yard on those Sundays about to head out on the road on a R.E.. He thanked me, we parted ways.....
 ;D.
I was there at Lowes  again yesterday after work getting some motion lights for my back yard and the old guy came over to me in the store.
We shook hands, he told me he was happy I still had the bike, we talked again somemore. His wife came over ,we went on his way.
His wife came down with the empty shopping cart outside later as I was getting my gear on and thanked me for taking the time to chat with him, I told her it was my pleasure. The last time we had met the 'ol Buck talked about it for weeks.
 When I told her I loved listening to his stories and could see he really miss motorcycles.
 She told me his health was failing, and that made me really sad.
I fired the scoot up and went up to his car.
I asked him if he had the time would he want to take it @ the parking lot for "old time sake".
At first he said balked, he hadn't been on a motorcycle in 20 years and was afraid he wreck it.
I told him it had 3 wheel, he can't fall over and it was like making love, once you've done it, you may be rusty, but you NEVER forget how!
He thought it over for a few seconds, looked at his wife, and she told him to be careful.
After getting my helmet on him and reminding him for the 10th time the brake and shifter were reversed off he went.
After a lap @ Lowes he pull in, but I told him you gotta at least do a few or you'd wouldn't be happy!
He did like 10 laps @, the laps getting bigger and bigger, shifting and having a good "ol time the grim on his face bigger and bigger each lap!
He pulled in shut it off and just sat there holding the handle bars.
"Just like I remember it"
It really choked me up.
He got off, we shook hands, his wife hugged me, off they went.
My good deed of the day story!
Joe
One day we're gonna be that old man, and I hope some guy give me my final ride on a memory! ;)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Very cool...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
You have just became a hero in my book, ya did a damn good thing.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Absolutely outstanding! Talk about paying into the Karma Pool!  ........ And you are SO right - one day WE will wishing for a ride just one more time - and I'll bet the bike gods will give YOU one! Keep track of that feller, will ya? He'll really appreciate a visit, a kind word - or another ride someday soon! Give yourself a BIG "Atta Boy" for that one ...... !
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
When my wife asked why I'd been so late, she asked who the guy was.
You know, I never got his name or where he's from.
I guess I'll have to keep my eye out for him when I'm at Lowes.
Joe
If I don't ride for a day -er-two, I start to shake and get nervous ;)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Thanks Joe  8)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
I think you are already in... sounds like you are doing an angel's work to me.

That was a big deal, what you did, Joe.  You gave that guy the impossible.  That was a momentary fountain of youth.  Some real magic.  For those laps he wasn't ailing, or old.  He was young again and having a blast.  Truly amazing stuff.

It is the small gestures, sometimes, that have the biggest impact.  Not only did you give him a temporary vacation from reality, you gave him a great memory.  He's going to remember that... riding around Lowes.  He's going to remember it quite fondly I imagine.

That's the good stuff right there everyone.  In all this shit... that's the good stuff.

A big tip of the hat to ya, man.  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:23:54 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Speechless !

Cabo Cruz

• Papa Juan
  • Grand Gearhead
Br. Joe, you commited a random act of kindness!  And to you goes a big...

WOWZAA, BABY!!!
Long live the Bullets and those who ride them!

Keep the shiny side up, the boots on the pegs and best REgards,

Papa Juan

REA:    Member No. 119
BIKE:   2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5
NAME: Perla

BigDon

• Grease Monkey
 :) :) :)

Thumbs Up Dude!!!!!!!
BigDon
REA #73
08 RE Classic, the last of the Iron Barrel Bikes.(FireBall!)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400, for haulin' xxx in the woods!
09 BMW R1200GSA for a change of pace!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SlooDon#p/u

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 10:56:01 am
Way to go Joe,way to go................... Joe
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:19:06 am by Rick O'Shea »
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

Joe28

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 12:45:58 pm
Then there was the "legal" comment last night at my H.O.G. club meeting, (Harley's Owner Group).
A friend of mine is a "hot shot, big time lawler". You know the ambulance chaser type, but he has a nice looking wife! :o
"You know if he got hurt you'd be sues" You know if he bailed into a car, you' be sued'

That's why HE'S" not going ot heaven! ;)
Joe
If God wasn't a biker, how come he made summer and fresh asphalt? ;)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 01:07:15 pm
Then there was the "legal" comment last night at my H.O.G. club meeting, (Harley's Owner Group).
A friend of mine is a "hot shot, big time lawler". You know the ambulance chaser type, but he has a nice looking wife! :o
"You know if he got hurt you'd be sues" You know if he bailed into a car, you' be sued'

That's why HE'S" not going ot heaven! ;)
Joe
If God wasn't a biker, how come he made summer and fresh asphalt? ;)

Yeah - I think the requisite to being a lawyer is having your heart removed and your soul given to the Devil himself. I know a few that are NOT that way - but this cat you know should be taken gently aside and re-educated about life in a kinder, gentler world where GOOD DEEDS and PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY play a bigger part than a 33% contingency fee .......  >:(
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:22:00 am by ScooterBob »
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 11:42:49 pm
You did the right thing Joe, screw what council said. That old timer had an angel riding with him in the sidecar around that parking lot. NOTHING was going to touch him in those few beautiful moments. Hats off to you dude, you are a good man. Joe
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

zentrax

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 10:26:00 am
only a lawyer would think you did something wrong here. It was nothing malicious, just being nice in sharing what you had with someone else, just like they shared their memories with you. We need more people like you Joe.........many many more........and the world would be a much better place  :)
Nothing is inexplicable.........only the unexplained......