Author Topic: Oil leak on first ride?  (Read 6349 times)

3rdgear

• Scooter
on: September 15, 2010, 04:06:36 am
Picked up my 2010 G5 Deluxe (Yea!).  Took her for a 25 mile ride on surface streets and did not go over 35 MPH.  Parked the bike and noticed a few oil leaks.  Is this normal?  I will search the forums for answers but thought I would throw it out there.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:36:29 am by 3rdgear »

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:13:11 am
Check the oil level and the drain for the airbox. Dealer may have overfilled the sump. If the oil level is higher than low mark, that' could be it. Also, check the kickstart seal inside and under the chain.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 04:45:35 am
Looking at the 2nd photo, the oil level isn't too high, I can't tell exactly where is first photo is located, but if it's at the lower rear of the chain side (right), that could be rubbish , crud etc from the chain accumulating, worried me the first time I seen. The onlt oil leak I've had (Other than adding too much to the sump) was the chrome cover over the starter motor drive chain. Hope this helps, great looking bike by the way (Same as mine  ;D)

Cheers

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 04:57:00 am
The top photo is what I noticed (and the service tech noticed) when I first rode my C5.  I thought it was extra stuff coming off the chain, but I could be wrong.

The second photo I'm not sure about at all.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 05:19:00 am
Sorrry,
I didn't see the pix. My G-5 does the same thing in the first picture. It's a seep around the kickstart shaft. I had it in for warranty repair once and it didn't go away, so now it's back at the dealer to try again. It's not a big deal, mine never left a drop on the ground but oil collected like yours. I assume the bike is on the side stand, since no oil is showing. So it may also be the airbox blow out dripping on the chain and that would leave the same pix. The other leak I haven't seen, maybe just the bolt not tightened. That leak drove me nuts at first but I learned to just live with it. Never created a problem. Just verify the oil level and/or pull the airbox cover and see if there's oil inside. Also, the back of my engine case is wet with oil, but only the overfilling situation left drops on the ground.

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 05:21:11 am
I took another look at the pix and there seems to be oil. If the engine If the bike is cold, on the center stand, your level looks fine.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 08:14:37 am
3rd Gear,

the first pic of your bike looks like extra chain lube dripping from the front cog.
It happened with every new bike and may not be an issue.

the second pic definitely looks like an oil leak, something you must take up with the dealer. perhaps a new nut with a better rubber seal would do the trick.

these minor niggles are part of the eccentricity of owning a Royal Enfield.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 01:01:06 pm
I agree with the others on chain lube, my C5 did the same thing when I first got it, Congrats on the new bike!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

3rdgear

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 02:15:29 pm
Thanks for the feedback.  I was hoping it was nothing serious.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 06:08:22 pm
You can't tell from that pic if the oil level is right or not since we don't know if it was on the side stand or center stand.  Check your oil level.  There's a bottom mark and a mid mark on the window.  You want to be at the mid mark.  Warm the bike up a while and then turn off the engine.  Pput it on the center stand and let it sit a few minutes.  Then check the level.  If you're over the mid mark it may be too high and cause it to spew oil.  Also, open the right side tool box and see if it's spittin oil into there.

Pic 1 may not be a problem, mine looked like that too when I got it.  Wipe it out before and after the next few rides, see if it stops.  If not you need something fixed.

Pic2, is it just coming from that one allen bolt?  There's a copper washer behind it so it should be sealing and may not be. or just needs to be torqued to spec.  If it's coming from more spots you may need more bolts torqued or need a seal replaced.

Take heart, we'll get you sorted soon ;)

Scott

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:13:27 pm
Just took delivery of my G-5 a week ago last Saturday (9/4/2010).  I've got the same puddle of oil with the black gunk from road dust in the same place.  Wiped it out once and it's back again.  Could be a leak, as I had to add 4 oz of oil since on the center stand, my oil was about a third above the low mark, and when I got the bike, it was just below the high mark.  It goes back to the dealer next week for the 500 mile check and oil change, so I'll bounce him about the cause. ???
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

qgolden

• Grease Monkey
  • It takes a villiage to raise an idiot.....
Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 08:18:10 pm
Mine did the same thing in the same place.   Seemed to be coming from an aggresivly oiled chain.   I cleaned it up three or four times, each time it left less for me to clean the next time.  It is down to wipe up a little bit now every three or four rides..   If it is ever totally dry, it sorta' tells me to check the chain oil!   ;D 
Any other Enfields in New England?

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 08:37:56 pm
Hope it works that way for mine, Ggolden!  Think I'll cross my fingers!  :D
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 09:09:17 pm
If it keeps collecting oil there and your engine oil keeps going down, you've got an issue.  I still get some black gunk in there now but that's probably just teflon chain lube that I use on my o-ring chain.  G5s have a traditional chain so you could expect more mess in there ongoing depending on what chain lube you use.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 09:22:35 pm
I really don't think the black gunk is leaking engine oil. My G5 had same problem, and took a long time to clear. Lubing chain with Wurth dry lube eventually stopped it. Now I lube chain with Silkolene chain oil, the black gunk is back. Chain lube is what it is. Many here have reported same symptom.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)